Critique My Friends Vid

Azguero

White Belt
Reaction score
So a couple guys I know had a casual grappling match over the weekend and I thought I'd get the grappling forums input on it. Just for some background info, the one in the white (Jeff) trains gi at Alberto Crane's Academy in Albuquerque, NM. The guy in red (Kelton) trains MMA at FIT No Holds Barred (for reference it's the gym Carlos Condit trains out of).

P.S. Pardon and enjoy the uneducated commentary from the guys watching.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4g238DuOS2o

Practise arm drags and taking the back.

Other than that, it sucked.

Just keep practicing. They need to control their hips(center of gravity) better, along with getting everything else better.

Thats about all the input I got.

Where ever it is they train, it doesn't look like they've been there very long. This looks like the kind of guys who went to 2 or 3 classes, then decided have a "match" in public to show all their friends their elite grappling skills.

Actually, I take that back. If they've had at least 2 classes, they'd have known how to posture in someone's guard instead of hugging them the entire time.

Hahaha I expected this type of response.

Just for some back story, the guy that got tapped is the "TAPOUT poser" that everyone on this forum seems to hate. He acts like he is a bad ass with the quarter of a season of jv wrestling he has under his belt and his MMA training he is going through now. Before their match he acted like he was going to walk through Jeff and he ended up eating his words big time.

Jeff on the other hand is probably the nicest and most humble guy you will ever meet, a 4.4 GPA National Merit Scholar, and probably one of the least bjj inclined people I know. I turned him on to grappling a half year ago, and I'm really glad that he enjoys it as much as he does, and am extremely proud of him for sticking to it as diligently as he has.

So is Jeff going to be the next Marcelo or Jacare? Definitely not.

Has he improved immensely from when he started? Yes.

Does he enjoy it? Yes.

For me that is all that really matters.

Hahaha I expected this type of response.

Just for some back story, the guy that got tapped is the "TAPOUT poser" that everyone on this forum seems to hate. He acts like he is a bad ass with the quarter of a season of jv wrestling he has under his belt and his MMA training he is going through now. Before their match he acted like he was going to walk through Jeff and he ended up eating his words big time.

Jeff on the other hand is probably the nicest and most humble guy you will ever meet, a 4.4 GPA National Merit Scholar, and probably one of the least bjj inclined people I know. I turned him on to grappling a half year ago, and I'm really glad that he enjoys it as much as he does, and am extremely proud of him for sticking to it as diligently as he has.

So is Jeff going to be the next Marcelo or Jacare? Definitely not.

Has he improved immensely from when he started? Yes.

Does he enjoy it? Yes.

For me that is all that really matters.
Good attitude Jeff. :icon_chee

They both look like they know just enough BJJ to pull guard and get their asses kicked in a real fight (2-5 months training)

I guess thats ok for half a years training, how long has the guy that got tapped been training?

Seems to me people dont go for armbar in guard for some reason.

I guess thats ok for half a years training, how long has the guy that got tapped been training?

No clue, to me he seems very cryptic when he talks about his training. When I first talked to him it seemed like he had been going regularly for a good while. However...

They both look like the kind of kids that show up at their bjj schools sit there, look at everyone out of the corner of their eye, but don't talk to anyone. Do the lesson and then go to school the next day bragging they train with carlos or tussa. And talk about how they took everyones back and choke them out at practice. When in reality they probably get worked by everyone and will soon quit in the next 3 months. Since their grappling at a park in street clothes shows how much respect they have for the sport.

ps. should have invited someone from jacksons to clean house. 2 on 1 or something haha

Reminds me of this kid who came to one or two bjj classes, he and his friends had set up this kind of fight club/mma things in the local sports hall. He thought the experiences he had doing mma/grappling with his friends would give him an advantage in class. He ended up getting tapped by everyone with minimal effort. It was easier tapping this kid than total newbs to grappling.

In the end I don't want to berate these kids too much. At least they have a good attitude and are sort of passionate about it. Its better they have a friendly sparring session with each other than going around acting like arseholes and trying to get into fights to test their skills.

As far as giving the kid advice on his game, I don't know where to start. Probably the best person to get advice from is your instructor, its not easy being given advice over the internet. Once your friends get more experience, they will be in a better position to understand the advice given to them.

White shirt should grab under the armpit when he attemps to do that kind of a sweep.

Red shirt needs to have better posture in guard.

nice video

Where ever it is they train, it doesn't look like they've been there very long. This looks like the kind of guys who went to 2 or 3 classes, then decided have a "match" in public to show all their friends their elite grappling skills.

Actually, I take that back. If they've had at least 2 classes, they'd have known how to posture in someone's guard instead of hugging them the entire time.

Bingo.

That was beyond pathetic and painful to watch. Clearly, these kids never back down.

When can people stop saying "stupid kids who think they're the shit" whenever they see a video of two teenagers rolling outside of class?

I'm 17 and I talk to my friends about my experiences in the gym, does that make me egotistical lil shit?

The TS wants to learn, what other reason would he put the video up on a forum with a buncha higher belts knowing they're not good?

holy shit, that was amazing. u guys are incredible. next adcc champs for sure! an arm bar that even rickson would be jealous of. i mean it is obvious that rickson pulled out the matrix of leadership from his chest and instilled it into you so you can lead us all in our darkest bjj hour. i am just speechless at the flawless display of obviously black belt level technique.

holy shit, that was amazing. u guys are incredible. next adcc champs for sure! an arm bar that even rickson would be jealous of. i mean it is obvious that rickson pulled out the matrix of leadership from his chest and instilled it into you so you can lead us all in our darkest bjj hour. i am just speechless at the flawless display of obviously black belt level technique.

What you did there, I see it.

Nice park.

Was I the only one wanting to see them roll down the hill with the arm fully extended? That would have been a hit on youtube.

About the 2 guys? Red was horseshit. Anyone that grabs onto the head with one arm inside guard is horseshit and should be punished accordingly. Did I mention horseshit?

The other guy was clearly a beginner, but I think he tried the right thing going for the back.... it took him about 4 opportunities to notice it and then 7 tries to get there... but hey that's ok for a beginner. Seems to have the right instincts, but needs more hip mobility when getting to the back.
Which is kinda hard with a gut...

But he did alright and was nice enough to tell the kid to tap instead of just cranking it.

I think you guys fucking whine too much, and I think MEK is right on the button. Shut the fuck up already and just comment on the video. Look, here, I'll show you...

They both sucked.

See how easy that was? In the dojo is not the only place you can have fun rolling, and the way people talk, it's as if you didn't all suck at one time in your life or another... Like you walked into the dojo and just started clearing house. Weird, isn't that the same thing you were accusing these guys of doing? Everyone sucks when they start, in fact I'd bet money that a good deal of those of you talking shit, still suck.

Back