Critique My Diet.

kaptr1d

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
6:30am - rise and shine. 1 banana and 1 morning multivitamin.
10:00am - 12oz. homemade protein shake with 24g protein 7g carbs. made with 1 1/2 cups water and 1/2 cup soy milk. 1 greens supplement, 1 flaxseed oil supplement.
11:30am - 1 apple.
12:30pm - 1 turkey sandwhich. made with all natural no crap turkey and double fiber whole wheat bread and two slices of all natural no additive american cheese.
3:00pm - same protein shake as at 10am. same greens supplement and flaxseed supplement.
6:30pm - Dinner. Varies. Usually grilled chicken or fish with either spinach or pasta. pasta is sometimes whole wheat, sometimes garbage pasta. I have a 3rd serving of my greens supplement and flaxseed oil with dinner.

So I lift 3 days a week.

I find that I'm having a hard time recovering even though I don't go as hard as I think I could go. I sleep 7-9 hours each night depending on luck.

I have an office job so I can eat whatever whenever.

Specific suggestions are appreciated.

You're having a hard time recovering because you eat less than my 5'8" 130lb wife.

That and soy has chemicals that mimic estrogen. Not ideal unless you're lactose intolerant in which case meh it's better than nothing.

Unless you're a 90 lb asian woman, you might want to up the calories a bit...

Just a banana for breakfast? You need to up the calories on that breakfast by like x5

Just a banana for breakfast? You need to up the calories on that breakfast by like x5

I'm 5' 10" and 185lbs. Around 18% bodyfat.

My deskjob means that I sit on my ass for 9 hours a day.

I eat the way I do to keep from gaining more fat, which is not what I want.

I can switch out the soy milk for real milk... I was only using the soy because I thought it was more healthy then cow milk. I actually hated giving cow milk up, go figure.

Specific suggestions for my meal plan or just "eat more."

Goals are to get stronger. I just finished recovering from a car accident and I would like to get in good enough shape to start grappling again. I need to cut body fat and add muscle mass and endurance.

I'm 5' 10" and 185lbs. Around 18% bodyfat.

My deskjob means that I sit on my ass for 9 hours a day.

I eat the way I do to keep from gaining more fat, which is not what I want.

I can switch out the soy milk for real milk... I was only using the soy because I thought it was more healthy then cow milk. I actually hated giving cow milk up, go figure.

Specific suggestions for my meal plan or just "eat more."

Now we're getting somewhere. I understand the temptation to eat as little as possible trying to lose fat, but if you're trying to gain strength too, this will only leave you frustrated and "skinny-fat" trust me I've been there.

What I suggest is that you up your calories to mainenance levels for now and focus on getting strong enoiugh to grapple. Then once you start grappling keep your calories the same and the fat will start coming off.

Breakfast is actually the one meal of the day where I let myself have carbs that done come in vegetable form. You have the whole day to burn them off, and it helps me get going in the morning. I need to cut a significant amount of both muscle and fat to make a weight class and Im eating more than you.

I am in the same situation. I work as a help desk techie...mostly sitting on my ass. Whenever I have the opportunity to go see a client...I would rather walk to the desk than remote to at least get up and about. Plus...the place I work is huge. It's about 2 miles in radius so I have to walk alot sometimes with 4 floors. However...I eat 6-8 meals a day and work my ass off when I get home. I bring about 3-4 meals with me to work. I eat a spinach egg omelete in the morning...I also bring about 2 small Muscle Milk drinks with me... beef or chicken with spinach salads and munch on cashews when at work. Drink a ton of water. I have been losing some fat and gaining muscle but it comes down to how hard you are working out too.

EDIT:
Just noticed I made it to Green Belt! Woohoo!! :icon_chee

Yeah I drink 2 liters of water a day while at work.
I drink a lot of water after I'm home too but I don't keep track once I'm home.

So I should add another two meals?
Chicken breast? Tuna? Peanuts? I don't want to add shitty calories and blow up like a fkn whale here.

Yeah I drink 2 liters of water a day while at work.
I drink a lot of water after I'm home too but I don't keep track once I'm home.

So I should add another two meals?
Chicken breast? Tuna? Peanuts? I don't want to add shitty calories and blow up like a fkn whale here.

I think your meal frequency is fine what you need to do is beef up (literally in some cases) the calories per meal with good healthy calories (this way it makes it very easy to cut back and diet too). Have 2-3 eggs with your breakfest banana (banana + eggs = the most morning energy you'll ever have imo). Eat a handful of almonds or some beef jerky with your snacky meals. Drink whole milk, put a slice of cheese on your turkey sanwhich, have some steak for dinner. You won't blow up (or even gain weight), your ****bolism will speed up, you'll get stronger faster....all good things.

You can copy my diet if you'd like.

It goes -
Two breakfasts (1 light, 1 heavy) and two dinners
Supplements (protein with or after meals and PWO, multi and salmon oil )

Wake up sip water, get sunshine (go outside or stick yo head out da window)

Breakfast #1: No problem starting with a banana or something light. For some people (myself included) the body takes a while to get going and a heavy breakfast first thing in the morning can slow us down. Apples, Berries, Bananas, Coconuts - something to get the motor started. I would add something like berries for antioxidants in the morning. A small banana shake is nice. You may even wanna look into those greens or superfood things - but imho fresh is always better. Also many do light cardio in the morning and it helps with that.

No less than 2 hours after is breakfast #2 which is usually sandwiches can be egg, falafel, cheese, etc. and milk.
OR on weekends Plenty of eggs 'n potatoes and/or Protein Pancakes
Amount - usually as much as I can consume without feeling gluttonous or out of breath.

After that usually a nap or a few hours later is: Dinner #1 -
Fish or Chicken, (Beef if lifting heavy), Rice,bread,beans or potatoes sometimes brocolli, spinach, salad etc.
+ Protien Shake with real cocoa and milk

Dinner #2 After evening workout and 45mins - 1 hour after PWO shake
Something good, with fat and heavy. Big fish or chicken, or Hamburgers, Steak and Eggs, Mash B'daders 'n gravy, with steak, etc. + Greens + More protien, milk, chocholate,
Don't be afraid o some grease but make sure it come straight from the animal, fish, olive or flax and no hydrogenated oils and that stuff.

Also all of those meals can add up and tire the digestive system so I'll skip a meal once in a while or take it real easy on certain days.

6:30am - rise and shine. 1 banana and 1 morning multivitamin.
10:00am - 12oz. homemade protein shake with 24g protein 7g carbs. made with 1 1/2 cups water and 1/2 cup soy milk. 1 greens supplement, 1 flaxseed oil supplement.
11:30am - 1 apple.
12:30pm - 1 turkey sandwhich. made with all natural no crap turkey and double fiber whole wheat bread and two slices of all natural no additive american cheese.
3:00pm - same protein shake as at 10am. same greens supplement and flaxseed supplement.
6:30pm - Dinner. Varies. Usually grilled chicken or fish with either spinach or pasta. pasta is sometimes whole wheat, sometimes garbage pasta. I have a 3rd serving of my greens supplement and flaxseed oil with dinner.

So I lift 3 days a week.

I find that I'm having a hard time recovering even though I don't go as hard as I think I could go. I sleep 7-9 hours each night depending on luck.

I have an office job so I can eat whatever whenever.

Specific suggestions are appreciated.
I don't even know where to start

try some eggs(whites and whole) and oatmeal for breakfest. Along with the banana. But thats only breakfast. You need to improve it more. Read the FAQS

I'm going to hit up the grocery store next week when I get back from vegas. In the meantime I have a temp plan that I hope is a little better then before.

6:30 - Banana and meal replacement shake with morning multi.
9:00 - Protein Shake with greens supplement and flaxseed.
10:00 - All natural turkey on double fiber whole wheat bread with 2 slices of no extra crap american cheese.
11:30 - 1 Apple.
1:00 - Turkey sandwhich number 2.
2:00 - Protein shake number 2 with same supps as earlier.
3:30 - 1 cup of dry roasted peanuts.

I have 2 liters of water to drink constantly during the day.

Getting there! Don't be afraid of fats though. They're good for you (except transfat...) Have you actually logged your calories or used a calorie calculator to figure out how much you should be getting? These numbers are gospel but they're good place to start..

No, I haven't counted calories. I was reading some articles that basically gave me the idea to work on the basics before I started worrying about measuring amounts and whatnot.

Since the meal plan I was following as recent as yesterday was apparently a standard for ethiopians, I'm focusing on working the kinks out of my basic strategy first... unless I'm wrong about that too?

I'm willing to drink the water if I can find some...

Back