• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies CREED III ($58.6 Million U.S. Opening Weekend)

If you have seen CREED III, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
The "I'm taking it and its mine now" mentality has ruined a lot of good things and led to some very bad films...Star Wars, Ghostbusters, The Terminator, etc. Some reverence for the source material has created some good and reasonably good things...Creed, Tron Legacy, Top Gun Maverick and so on. Coogler wrote Creed with a lot of reverence for Apollo, even while revealing weaknesses in him (and Paulie and Rocky and so on) with the screenplay. Adonis isn't the most compelling character ever created or put on screen but the first Creed film continues to develop characters who have passed away in the same manner that Top Gun Maverick continues to develop Goose. Creed 2 does a fair bit to develop Drago and he honestly comes out of the film as the one who learned from the Apollo fight rather than Rocky.

I liked Creed 1 and 2 I do not anticipate liking this one not only because no Stallone(that bandaid needed to be taken off sooner or later) but it seems like they going away from established characters altogether and for a movie franchise that never really ends well. It was just a trailer could be heavily misleading but that's where it looks like this is going. I've seen a theory that this friend of Adonis is Langs nephew or something. This doesn't make sense on a number of levels.

While I think Drago had character development he made it very clear he didn't give a fuck about Apollos death. In the resturant scene Drago seemed honestly confused why Rocky would still hold a grudge against him because he sees Rocky as the winner who stole Dragos love and admiration(despite Drago never losing another fight). In his eyes Rocky is the villian and acknowledging Rocky was trying to avenge someone he killed and otherwise wouldn't have fought him is inconvienant to that narrative.

I personally think Creed 2 would have been a solid ending for the franchise it resolved a lot of character arcs. Besides Lang we have closure on basically every character and their arc(and there's apparently deleted scenes from one of the movies which address this). This needs to end at some point. We're late in Adonis's career now what are we going to have him mentor a random kid and keep the franhise going forever? At some point this world needs to end or switch to prequels. The timeline is running it's course IMO.

@Dragonlordxxxxx

Even for the Rocky/Creed world this is super unrealistic. Jordan is lacking as a Director.
Majors and Creed are great actors , but it's a poor script and direction.

5/10
Thanks for that review. I was on the fence about going to see it. It looks like they were trying to recreate a Rocky III type storyline, but I wasn't really seeing anything in the trailers that grabbed me as particularly interesting about it.

Even though some might find it cheap to repeatedly incorporate the old Rocky characters into the Creed films, I think they would have been better off including Mr. T as the main antagonist's trainer or something. That would have at least peaked fans' interest.

Thanks for that review. I was on the fence about going to see it. It looks like they were trying to recreate a Rocky III type storyline, but I wasn't really seeing anything in the trailers that grabbed me as particularly interesting about it.

Even though some might find it cheap to repeatedly incorporate the old Rocky characters into the Creed films, I think they would have been better off including Mr. T as the main antagonist's trainer or something. That would have at least peaked fans' interest.
The intent had potential, but the execution was bad. Which is a shame , Majors and Jordan have good chemistry and solid individual performances that were wasted.

Update: March 5, 2023

CREED III Achieves "Biggest Sports Film Opening in History" with $58.6 Million Opening Weekend at the U.S. Box Office

CREED-3-Facts.jpg

Director-actor Michael B. Jordan’s Creed III is a box office champ.

The movie opened to a better-than-expected $58.6 million domestically from 4,007 screens after grossing $22 million on Friday in a big win for MGM and Michael B. Jordan, who directed Creed III in his feature debut. Jordan also returns in the role of Adonis Creed, a character first introduced in Ryan Coogler’s 2016 sleeper hit Creed, which revived the legendary Rocky film franchise.

The threequel not only scored a series-best debut, it is the biggest sports film opening in history, according to MGM.

Creed III — which will easily won the weekend — opens at a critical juncture for MGM and parent Amazon as they plot an expanded film footprint.

The Creed series has been one of MGM’s most important modern-day franchises, and the third installment isn’t disappointing. It is more than holding when compared to the first two films, and will easily score the biggest first weekend opening of the spinoff franchise, fueled by top exit scores on PostTrak and an A- CinemaScore (not to mention glowing reviews). Males, both younger and older, made up 62 percent of an ethnically diverse audience (39 percent Latino, 27 percent white, 20 percent Asian/other and 14 percent Black), according to PostTrak.

Creed powered its way to a $42.1 million domestic opening over the five-day Thanksgiving holiday in 2015, including $29 million for the three-day weekend, not adjusted for inflation. The Steven Caple Jr.-directed sequel opened over the Thanksgiving corridor in 2018, grossing $56 million for the five days and $35.5 million for the three.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/creed-iii-box-office-opening-1235340591/

No where near Creed 1 and less than 2 (which wasn't great) . Maybe they shouldn't of totally wanted to remove the man that created the Rocky universe. Maybe on-screen but needed to keep Stallone In a producer/director role.

Rocky is my favorite character of all time.

This was ok. Something was missing and I don't think it was Rocky. The movie just felt like it never picked up into that next gear. They also really need to improve the music. It's just all generic, unmemorable tracks. I'm glad they don't overdue it with the old Rocky music but I'd prefer that over what we are getting currently.

Creed II was a way bigger letdown though.. The story had so much wasted potential

Creed II was a way bigger letdown though.. The story had so much wasted potential
Also because Creed 1 was so good. Still Creed 2 was MUCH better than 3 and I like both Majors an MBJ

This movie was pretty bad. Worse than I expected and expectations weren't particularly high.

The writing was pretty bad. The directing wasn't great. The acting wasn't particularly good outside of Jonathan Majors who absolutely did all that could possibly be done with what was written for him.

This was the worst training sequence in the Rocky franchise by a country mile. It was also the worst final fight in the Rocky franchise by a country mile.

4.8 / 10.

Last edited:
I agree with most on here that it was an ok movie, it had potential for more. Majors stole the show but that's my main problem with the Creed series, someone else is always more interesting than Michael B Jordan.

It could have easily been a story that has the audience conflicted of who to cheer for but they went cartoon villain in a sharp turn to ensure that Creed was the clear good guy. It ended up being the same old Creed rivalry finale when it could've been more creative.

I’m just curious. What year is the Creed franchise taking in? Shouldn’t Adonis be in his mid to late 30s by now?

Yup. Mid to late 30s is accurate. But this is Hollywood so anything can and usually does happen.

Weakest of the 3, movie needed more fun. Felt too uptight and dramatic, a bit too soap opera for me.

Also the training montages were meh which is a huge minus for any martial arts/fighting type movie

Sly watches Creed 3 and <{hughesimpress}><{cruzshake}><BC1>.

Maybe don't shoot the golden goose next time MBJ..​

This movie was pretty bad. Worse than I expected and expectations weren't particularly high.

The writing was pretty bad. The directing wasn't great. The acting wasn't particularly good outside of Jonathan Majors who absolutely did all that could possibly be done with what was written for him.

This was the worst training sequence in the Rocky franchise by a country mile. It was also the worst final fight in the Rocky franchise by a country mile.

4.8 / 10.
Agreed on the fight being terrible. As I was watching it I thought they were going to do the rematch gimmick where that is the real final fight at the end.

I have no clue how Creed 3 had the biggest opening weekend of any sports movie all time. I mean, there's nothing interesting about it and reviews have been lukewarm. I've yet to see a film with Majors, but apparently him and Jordan must have some legit star power for it to open this big.

Saw it Thursday night. Definitely could have used Sly in the movie but I enjoyed it anyway

Majors was a solid antagonist. A cross between Clubber Lang, Tyson and Joe Frazier

I enjoyed the last fight sequence. You can tell MBJ is a huge anime fan

8/10

Back