Creating a Gameplan for First Compettion.

ignitH

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, i would like to introduce myself, my name is Pablo, i'm 15 years old and im from Chile.
I have been doing Judo for a month now, and my couch told me that i was going to compete May 10th (yeah, in 6 days more), i told him that i have been doing judo for such a short time, but he said that he sees potential in me and would like that i get "comfortable" with competitions at an early stage, and he doesn't expect nothin from me and i have no pressure at all. (Competitions are like 1 time a year in chile, so its now or never, atleast for this year)

The thing is that i can't just go without trying and expecting to win something, my "manly" pride doesn't let me :p So i had a couple of question to ask to some of the veterans in here.

I have been told that i'm extremely strong for my weight (60k) and i think so too, as i train 4 times a week with people MUCH more larger than me (20 kilos at least) and i seem to do pretty good for my lack of size and experience. At the moment, the only thing that feel "natural" for me, are leg takedowns (morote gari, or double leg takedowns for the wrestlers) i can shoot pretty good, but im having trouble finishing the takedown (i have both legs, but i cant seem to finish the takedown quickly, and i struggle a lot to take them down). Any advice from fellow wrestlers for this? Any book/instructional/dvd that you guys recommend for a judo guy trying to be successful with wrestling style takedowns?

I have a bjj background, so newaza its not a problem for me, atleast not against people my age and weight, the thing i struggle is getting on to the ground :p.

Having said that, Any advice from competition veterans? A gameplan? How to overcome the nerves?. How can i use my strenght to my advantage, having little technique?

Thanks a lot.

PS: I know, i lack experience a lot and i shouldn't be competing, but my coach says that i have to get comfortable with competing right NOW if i want to be successful, and based on my work in class, he says i'm more than capable of doing well, but if i don't, it doesnt matter.

you're probably not taking them down with the double leg on an angle which is what alot of beginners make the mistake of doing, thye just try driving through them which won't always work. shoot the angle, turn and dump them.

won't really help to have a gameplan since u cant study your opponents, go in with an open mind, and do what YOU want to do. Don't try things you're not comfortable with or things you hesitate to do.

Good luck,

~Foz

you're probably not taking them down with the double leg on an angle which is what alot of beginners make the mistake of doing, thye just try driving through them which won't always work. shoot the angle, turn and dump them.

Could you please explain this to me? Maybe a video/instructional that ilustrate what you're trying to say? Sorry bout this, but english's not my mother language so i have a lil trouble understanding specific things.

its hard as hell to get a double on someone when you got a gi

dont worry about a game plan just go in there and play your game the whole idea is to get used to the speed and intensity of competition. Just get one to two throws you feel comfortable with and a few others to base off those

For a 15 year old from Chile, you write remarkably well in English.

its hard as hell to get a double on someone when you got a gi

Actually, is easier, from a no gripping situation, especially at my level, cause it's frequently not taught, and not expected.

I can take the legs pretty easy, the thing is to get them down without having to use brute force (i can probably lift someone my weight pretty easily).

Any wrestling instructional dvd or video that u guys recommend? or any drill? im specially interested in this kind of takedown, as it come natural for me at randori.

be a bit unpredictable , everyone who is going to fight will be very confident that they will beat you , count with that and do something they will not expect :)

Lift HEAVY weights 3 times a day, this should compensate for your weight difference. And remember its a comp, so you want to get angry and HURT your opponent, don't cut your nails for the next 6 days (hurts them when you try to grip them), don't wash your gi until then (helps resist them getting grips), don't shake hands before it NO MATTER WHAT the ref says (this will make them scared of you because you don't follow the 'rules' and will be hesitant to fight) and finally IF you win which you wont let them know who the winner is, but remember, they ARE your enemy.
This has previously worked for me and i STRONGLY recommend it.

Lift HEAVY weights 3 times a day, this should compensate for your weight difference. And remember its a comp, so you want to get angry and HURT your opponent, don't cut your nails for the next 6 days (hurts them when you try to grip them), don't wash your gi until then (helps resist them getting grips), don't shake hands before it NO MATTER WHAT the ref says (this will make them scared of you because you don't follow the 'rules' and will be hesitant to fight) and finally IF you win which you wont let them know who the winner is, but remember, they ARE your enemy.

You misunderstood me, i will compete with people my own age and weight, i was saying that i tipically train with people waaay bigger than me, and i have been told that i'm extremly strong for my age and weight, so i suposse i'll do okay with people my weight.

After today's training session, i realized that i still have problems finishing the double leg, i catched both my oponnents legs like 100% of the time, but struggled and had to use a lot of brute force to finish them. Wrestlers, Please Help!, any dvd/book/instructional/post that could help me with the basics of the takedown?

dont listen to these guys about "not creating a gameplan", you should come in with a gameplan, and you already seem to know yours-to go for the double leg. Thats the gameplan right there, just think of what else you like just incase your double fails.

YouTube - Mark Kerr's Takedown Fundamentals 1

this is mark kerrs dvd on takedowns, its GREAT, he does it from an MMA perspective, but you can see what he does to finish once he has in position for the double. Watch that 100x, then drill your double leg and you should kill people with it.

good luck !!

I've got a question, should i play competition in a randori-like manner (Being gentle, respectful, trying not to harm the other) Or should i play it beast-like, picking everyone up with the double leg and slamming them to the mat?

Btw, is Darrel Gholar 9-7-5 Instructional any good? i got it from my dad.

Thanks a lot for the help guys, it's really helpful

lol how is this guy not banned?

should i enter the mats in a "dont fuck with me" attitude? meaning just snapping arm bars and chokes full strenght and picking up oponnents and slamming them from the double leg?

Is this canon in the competitions u guys have been?

Thanks a lot

to the top! please guy i need some feedback! tourney is on saturday!

Depends if it's allowed. I saw some guy get DQ'd for a nasty slam. I don't think the other guy got up for a bit though.

are you competing against other whitebelts?

especially since you have trouble finishing the doubleleg you will get counterd, so if you feel them grabbing your back either drop straight down and pray you get a koka or atleast a forced entry into newaza or straighten out yourself

sweep_the_leg_johnny.jpg

if you get the single but not the takedown

Back