Cranking locks in training.

Rotaryengine

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ok so I train in a garage, in a little tiny town in colorado. Im rolling with this kid who is pretty damm good, ive been training with him for 2 years now but me and him arnt close. I am smaller then him but my tech is better so i control him positionally and see many chances to sub him but prefer to just roll becuase its not about the winning it just practice. We I go for a twister from the back to counter my hook in he reaches back and pulls on my foot basically putting me in a toe fold, and then cranks the fuck out of it. I limp off the mat and he is all yea u shouldnt leave ur footout like that. I have been training a while so i can hold my temper but i swear i almost got violent on this kid (im 18 hes 16). I didnt, but it just pisses me off so bad when people injury me for no reason we are on the same team and i dont need people fucking me up he should know better. He is always injured because he always rolls hard and never taps. Many people dont roll like i do and feel the need to beat him no matter what so its a constant cycle of him getting injured or injuring somone elts. He never rolls because he is always hurt and he is always hurt becuase he never taps and tries to roll hard. ITs a fucked weird phenominon, he will lay limp when you get mount on him and clam up but as soon as he gets a sub he cranks full power.

IDk there is no point to this story its just my way of getting it out. But im gunna talk to all the guys i roll with and basically tell them that i wont ever try to hurt them I dont even want the tap that doesent matter to me. But if one more person hurts me on perpose (happens every week) im fucking somone up i swear. I dont need to be limping the rest of my life because somone had to win a match in a garage with no one seeing.

And this isnt a uncommon thing around here. Almost everyone i roll with is does this shit, its like people in this town dont know how to roll, but i guess its becuase no one ever taught them the kid is the trainers son. But ive had 30 year old men who are 200 pounds put full force on locks. Idk basically if anyone in MO TOWN colorado wants to train without being a dick then hit me up. FUCK i just wish i had ONE good training partner.

You might want to roll at an actual gym

yeah, training at full-force generally results in running out of training partners reeeaaal quick.
Tell him straight up that you dont like it - and that if he doesn't want to see the compromise of how you'd prefer to train then he can go elsewhere.

either that, or just crank the next sub you get, hang onto it and ask him if it hurts. Hell you could make a deal - you could be the one person that doesnt injur him, in return for him not injuring you.
Doesn't he know that sometimes just rolling for position and flow is worth more than frantically grabbing at and cranking on subs?

good luck to you dude...

Can I train at yours? lol I trained at one before I moved to this fucking hick town. But no worries I will be gone soon. But got damm, sometimes I think a country breakfast just fucks these farmers up to much they cant handle it man. To intense. idk

Just pissed off right now about my whole situation.

I am 18 I train at a JJJ school under a guy who tries to lie to his students that he knows bjj when its obvious he doesent. He charges 100 a month to train in his garage and basically learn bullshit. Im about to leave his school after having trained with him for 2 years.Ive had to learn all of juijitsu on my own through extensive reading a video. Litererally THOUSANDS of hours Like you dont even know. I am homeschooled and have NO life. I just read about juijitsu ALL day. I love it its what i want to do, and it just pisses me off the most important part of my life and i have to risk injury and i dont get good training partners. If I do leave I will just find somepeople to train up from new enough that they can give me a good challange without anyone being a dick to eachother. But im always at a crossroads about teaching no one is willing to listen to a young guy, to much pride or they believe they are better then me. FUCk i hate me life (yes emo/crybaby/bitch) (fuck You)

yeah he might, but it's a bit of a forgone conclusion that if he had the opportunity he would be by now.

It's all good, I roll in my (and someone elses) garage more than anywhere else - and, imo, as long as everybodys on the same team and looking out for each other - it's almost better than a class in some ways - of course if I had my way I'd do both but I only have so much time and $s

yeah, training at full-force generally results in running out of training partners reeeaaal quick.
Tell him straight up that you dont like it - and that if he doesn't want to see the compromise of how you'd prefer to train then he can go elsewhere.

either that, or just crank the next sub you get, hang onto it and ask him if it hurts. Hell you could make a deal - you could be the one person that doesnt injur him, in return for him not injuring you.
Doesn't he know that sometimes just rolling for position and flow is worth more than frantically grabbing at and cranking on subs?

good luck to you dude...

Idk maybe hes autistic.

Oh and I have trained at other Bjj places before I moved there. The closest other juijitsu place is 120 miles away I drive there everyweek to train.

where are you in colorado?
I live in denver, and I used to go down to the Metro campus to get some extra mat time. I encountered the same problem- unsupervised, informal training tends to lead to a lot more meathead nonsense.
I'm sure you don't need to hear it again, but get the f$%^
into a legit gym

Oh and I have trained at other Bjj places before I moved there. The closest other juijitsu place is 120 miles away I drive there everyweek to train.

Does your town have a wrestling club or something ? 120 miles is a long way to drive to get decent instruction with the price of gas these days, you would probably just be better off learning some other facet of grappling for the time being since your only option is a bullshit gym with loser training partners.

hmm. in light of your most recent post - fuck that guy training you. Fuck him man, if he's charging that - for what amounts to just mat time and no real tuition in a freakin garage...

your a young dude, so yeah - older people might not take you seriously. But you just gotta spark the interest of people of a close age to you and train them up - show them a few sweet highlight reels and then pick the ones creaming themselves over the jits.

I'm learning to wrestle under a guy that's younger than me by 3 or 4 years and I respect him like I would any of my teachers. So don't give up hope, it just takes patience and the right people...

hmm. in light of your most recent post - fuck that guy training you. Fuck him man, if he's charging that - for what amounts to just mat time and no real tuition in a freakin garage...

your a young dude, so yeah - older people might not take you seriously. But you just gotta spark the interest of people of a close age to you and train them up - show them a few sweet highlight reels and then pick the ones creaming themselves over the jits.

I'm learning to wrestle under a guy that's younger than me by 3 or 4 years and I respect him like I would any of my teachers. So don't give up hope, it just takes patience and the right people...

Bro you dont even know man I have such a anger inside me for this guy. He isnt even paying rent on the place and to be honest I believe im better at juijitsu then he is. Not trying to like brag becuase I know in the Bjj world its not a huge thing but I won the intermidiate division the the Pancrase world championships. I may not be awsome but I know a whole hell of alot about juijitsu. He is teaching people wrong he doesent have a understanding of control counters, concepts and theory on the guard and positioning. IDk I have wanted to leave for the longest time but I LOVE juijitsu and there is no where different to train. I have trained with the highschool wrestling team. Idk I really want to start my own club out of my house. But im only 18 140 pounds and a whitebelt (never been at a real school long enough to test). Took 3rd in the state blue belt division.

I wouldnt be suprised if he reads sherdog and saw this. Oh well

Oh and he doesent roll...just sits there and tells people what to do.

To be honest im afraid to roll with him becuase he will crank a sub way to fast because he doesent want to risk losing face

Well, if he doesn't know how to roll, simply don't roll with him. I do that with that kind of people - the risk of injury because he's an a-hole and cranks any and all subs, or because you get angry and want revenge is too big, and it's simply not worth it.
Preventing injuries is also part of your training, you need to know how to take care of your body (and your training partner's body, also).

At least home schooling doesn't lead to social adaptation issues.

u know ive been in a similar situation as u r when i started grappling i first joined a "sambo" school with a teacher who did the same didnt rolled and just told people what to do, the people i train with didnt hurt each other but it was still all about who was taping who i did this from 15 till i was 18 and just realise that this guy does not know what hes talking about. so i left and joined judo and had a lil club on the side with a couple of friends one of them was in the millitary and was a white belt in bjj and trained at a renzo gracie school before moving to where i live. so i did this until i met my current instructor who is affiliated with fabio holanda (btt canada instructor). so my advice would be do ur idea of runnign ur own club with some friends that u train with that share the same feelings as u do towards ur "instructor" and just train until something else comes along which is bound to happen cause the sport is getting more and more popular. keep ur chin up and keep doin what u love :)

Although it's hard to understand exactly what he's doing to you in that position, and I know it won't solve the issue, but if you're working for a twister, and he's reaching down for your leg (the one hook you have in?), just forget the twister, put in the other hook and take his back. You can use the second hook to get his hands off your foot, and if he's still messing around down there with his hands, you just apply the rnc. Or maybe I'm totally misunderstanding the position.

Anyway, talk with him if you like, otherwise don't roll with him. If the place is no good, don't give any of your money for it. You really don't gain much by rolling with unskilled people that have poor technique, especially if you're not learning anything and have no instructor to make sure you're doing things right. You might end up developing bad habits and becoming really good at them, in which case it probably isn't worth it to train at all.

Try looking for some other grappling or martial arts school, and if you ever leave this town, all for the better.

Although it's hard to understand exactly what he's doing to you in that position, and I know it won't solve the issue, but if you're working for a twister, and he's reaching down for your leg (the one hook you have in?), just forget the twister, put in the other hook and take his back. You can use the second hook to get his hands off your foot, and if he's still messing around down there with his hands, you just apply the rnc. Or maybe I'm totally misunderstanding the position.

Nah U got it it was just like that, I will do this from now on when I roll.

One of the major issues is the techniques, I feel that a coach should bascally teach you a basic game, or way/theory behind each position what you should do defensively and your plans of attack and how your going to move to the next position. He does not do this.

why don't you start your own gym? You and a few like minded people at a garage with mats. Dont' charge anyting.

Choose your partners wisely.

Back