Cramps While Running

big_john127

Profess¡onal Lurker
@Orange
Reaction score
So I've just started running. I'm an S&P guy that decided I needed to do a little conditioning. I realize that HIIT or some interval stuff is the way to go but I'm working on building the LSD base the FAQ suggests. I'm working my way through the couch potatoe to 5k plan found in the FAQ.

When I first started my lower back would cramp up after a bit.
I consulted the posts and have fixed that problem with the proper warmup and stretching.

Now about mid way through my run my right side cramps a little bit and there is a little pain under my left shoulderblade as I breath deeply. Are these things to expect and that will go away with time? Is there anything specific to do while warming up to prevent these?

Thanks.

How's your breathing when you're running? That could be the culprit for the side pain

I try to keep it at three strides in, three strdes out, this of course lasts about as long as my gas does. Is this about how I should be doing it? Thanks for the input on that one.

Any idea on the pain behind the shoulder?

Breathing went better today, as well as pace. pain flared up briefly behind the shoulder again but then went away.

any other real big guys running?
I'm 6'3 290

i used to get almost the same pain in almost the same spot. i always knew i had a very small lung capacity and i think that was part of the pain (perhaps lungs expanding too much during the run?) either way, if you continue to run often, it should go away fairly soon.

It sounds like your posture may be off. Leaning forward possible. It will stress the back and cause you to adjust in mid-back. That causes a prolonged contraction and a cramp. It may also impact your ability to expand your lungs.

Most likely your breathing is off. There was proper breathing in a post on this string.

I believe side stitches are most commonly caused by weak core muscles...esp lower back for a lot of people(seems like this is the culprit for you as you noted this in your previous training)...make sure to run with a more upright posture...and do endurance training for the lower back like high rep glute/hame raises, hyperextensions, rack lockouts, etc......one legged supine raises/bridges focusing on glutes and lower back...

Side stitch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Breathing went better today, as well as pace. pain flared up briefly behind the shoulder again but then went away.

I'm 6'3 290

IMHO, FWIW, if you're 6'3" 290, I'd find a lower-impact version of lsd to build up your base. You're going to kill your ankles, knees, and hips running like that.

Maybe try the elliptical, exercise bike, swimming, or ergometer (rowing machine).

I'm 6'3 290

You should have mentioned your size in your initial post. In addition to avoiding impact damage (at a slow speed you are coming down on each step with 900 pounds!) You need to keep your heart rate in a moderate level (be able to speak) for a longer time. Walking and jogging will help with that.

1. Run a controlled pace (jog or trot),
2. Track how hong it takes you to finish. Every few runs, try to take 20-30 seconds off your time.

Suggestion. Walk a progressively quicker 1/4 mile. Start slow and pick it up. Stop and stretch your calves, back and quads.

Run a short distance 3/10ths mile. Stop and stretch. Walk a while then trot a slightly longer distance 1/2 mile. Stretch calves, back and quads. Walk a little then run a slightly longer distance.

Make your exercise last 45-60 minutes. Over time, eliminate one of the stopping points. Ultimately plan to go the distance.

Back