Cowboy fights after 15 days, Velasquez fights after 19 months

The big issue is I would say less Cain's injury layoffs and more that when he was fit he was still only fighting a 2 matches a year schedule.

You look at say Shogun in Pride, he had a long layoff after the Coleman injury but then when he returned he fought 4 times in a few months.

Before he got hurt Cain fought 4 times in 17 months. The problem was that it was twice each against Big Foot and JDS.

NO fighter wants to get injured. You have to work yourself back up to get to the level you were before. Of course Cowboy is going to take the fight, he didn't suffer any injuries or take any damage in his last fight.

I'd love to see you try and fight on a Cowboy basis all year round.

Hence the reason I'm not a fighter lol. Dude, ray robinson fought like 200 times. You telling me the majority of pro fighters couldn't fights 3 to 4 times per year? All I'm saying is cerrone fighting five times per year should only be slightly above average, not newsworthy or celebrated as near heroism. Thats not a jab at donald, its the industry.

Injuries of champions are what have killed the sport for me over the years.

Before he got hurt Cain fought 4 times in 17 months. The problem was that it was twice each against Big Foot and JDS.

Doesn't really show you his true activity level though as your timing is starting right from the first fight ignoring the build up to it.

The actual gaps between fights in that spell were 7 months, 6 months and 5 months, that's a 2 fights a year timescale as I said and indeed he fought twice in 2012 and twice in 2013.

The UFC should have been aiming for more than that IMHO, injury layoffs will always happen but if champs are fighting 3-4 times a year when fit they will balance out much more, that is when one champ is injured another will fill his boots fighting more often.

HWs in Pride fought at least twice as often as they do now.

yeah, but for their top guys at least every other fight was a gimmie sqaush match that didn't require a real training camp or any risk of damage during the fight, plus unlimited PED use helped the guys recover and avoid injuries.

Cerrone, completely healthy, and took no damage in last few fights.

Cain, two major surgeries, and rehabs.

Apples and oranges dipshit.

Injuries of champions are what have killed the sport for me over the years.

It's what ruined boxing for me too. I get that a lot of guys have genuine injuries, but the mentality now is that I'm 100% or not fighting. I've got the flu and can't train for a week, so cancel the fight. I got an ache in my shoulder or hip, so cancel the fight. It sucks.

Werdum is the champ. Cruz was stirpped because Dana told people Barao was the #1 p4p fighter, GSP was forced to vacate because he wanted a break and Dana didn't agree with the Hendricks decision.

After this weekend, he'll have 9 fights since the Pettis fight.

Pettis has fought twice since then.

Yeah, cowboy fights a lot.

No, Cowboy says whatever he makes he automatically blows on crazy stuff, so he has to keep fighting frequently.

Side note: Funny that Cain has been in the UFC way longer than Cerrone, yet Cowboy has more octagon fights.

The UFC official rule was "if a Champion can't defend within a year, they are stripped of the title". Don't know when along the line that got changed.

About the time they started putting reigning champs on ice for a year so they could do TUF.

yeah, but for their top guys at least every other fight was a gimmie sqaush match that didn't require a real training camp or any risk of damage during the fight, plus unlimited PED use helped the guys recover and avoid injuries.

No.

If Cowboy wants another quick turnover fight, I wouldn't mind seeing him face Tibau.

Back