Cowboy fights after 15 days, Velasquez fights after 19 months

Double 99

Orange Belt
Reaction score
HW champion fights after 19 months, assuming the fight isn't postponed again.

I sense an inconsistency.

I reckon it WILL be postponed again ... he has a knee injury, right? Those take ages to heal.

HW champion fights after 19 months, assuming the fight isn't postponed again.

I sense an inconsistency.

Cowboy fights 4 times a year because he doesnt make Cain Velasquez money.

Cowboy fights 4 times a year because he doesnt make Cain Velasquez money.

No, Cowboy says whatever he makes he automatically blows on crazy stuff, so he has to keep fighting frequently.

Side note: Funny that Cain has been in the UFC way longer than Cerrone, yet Cowboy has more octagon fights.

The UFC official rule was "if a Champion can't defend within a year, they are stripped of the title". Don't know when along the line that got changed.

None of the champs aside from Mighty Mouse really fight that often, and I bet Mighty Mouse would fight more if the division was deeper and they could get him more opponents.

Velasquez who? I thought Werdum was the champ.

Jones averages 2 fights a year as champ and no one really cares because there are no likely dudes who can beat him. Meanwhile, Hendricks only fought once as champion and now Lawler wants to wait until summer making it only 2 fights this year.

Almost makes me think champions should have to fight 3 times a year or lose the belt.

The lack of fights per year in general for guys in the ufc is too much. Cowboy should he the norm, not the exception.

Jones averages 2 fights a year as champ and no one really cares because there are no likely dudes who can beat him. Meanwhile, Hendricks only fought once as champion and now Lawler wants to wait until summer making it only 2 fights this year.

Almost makes me think champions should have to fight 3 times a year or lose the belt.

Robbie was one of the most active fighters (if not the most active) last year with 4 fights including 2 title fights and 3 x 5 round wars. He needs a few months off to let his body recover and heal

I'll be surprised if it doesn't get postponed.

Robbie was one of the most active fighters (if not the most active) last year with 4 fights including 2 title fights and 3 x 5 round wars. He needs a few months off to let his body recover and heal

Yet he's back to training. So much for needing time to heal. No, the reason is he's champion so he doesn't have to work so hard now.

The problem is champions don't want to go through so many training camps. 3 fights a year isn't heavy and they'd be hard pressed to do it because of injuries to either themselves or their competitors. Going for two fights a year generally means having to do one fight....if we're lucky.

Injuries are inevitable in sports and more so in this sport from what I see. You honestly think Velasquez or any fighter would like to be off a year or two, instead of earning a decent pay cheque when they fight?

No, Cowboy says whatever he makes he automatically blows on crazy stuff, so he has to keep fighting frequently.

Side note: Funny that Cain has been in the UFC way longer than Cerrone, yet Cowboy has more octagon fights.

The UFC official rule was "if a Champion can't defend within a year, they are stripped of the title". Don't know when along the line that got changed.

There is no "official rule", that is a general guideline. The opposite of an official rule.

Werdum is the interim champ now.

You've got to appreciate Cowboy. He loves to fight and wants to fight as much as possible... which is really becoming a rarity these days, at least at the elite level of the sport.

You've got to appreciate Cowboy. He loves to fight and wants to fight as much as possible... which is really becoming a rarity these days, at least at the elite level of the sport.

Agreed, I think Hunt has always been game though. HW hasn't always been like this.

There is no "official rule", that is a general guideline. The opposite of an official rule.

Werdum is the interim champ now.

Thank you!

I have been belly-aching about this from day one on Sherdog.

Make a tablet etched in stone with "Ye shall defendith thous UFC title within 1 year lest you be stripped of the belt!"

The lack of fights per year in general for guys in the ufc is too much. Cowboy should he the norm, not the exception.

I'd be content if we'd at least have more title fights. Cowboy is a beast, not everyone has that strong mentality and incentive to simply fight for the sake of it. (of course money's part of the equation)

However many are just trying to milk their fortune.

The UFC Ana Dana White ignore their own rules whenever it suits them.

Back