counters to the single leg takedown

colinm

Brown Belt
Reaction score
hey all, ive been seeing this particular counter to a single leg takedown but i can't get it to work, and when i have my training partners try it i can usually still get the takedown - so i figured id ask the grappling forum.

here's the situation: ive got the guy's right leg and im trying to single leg, forehead on his chest, "hiking" his leg through my own, pinching it there, and keeping a good posture. from here, i see guys trying to free their leg from between mine, then putting the top of their foot/lower shin on the outside of my leg (my left leg in this instance). thats it...thats the counter...some people seem to be able to use that leg really well to maintain balance (tito vs hughes in adcc if anyone's seen it) then pull their leg out. however, when someone uses it on me, i will usually just step in with my right leg and switch to a double leg, or inside sweep their other leg for the takedown. any advice from wrestlers out there? how do i make this one work?

ive been countering the single leg with a whizzer/uchi mata type thing, or just pushing their head down and pulling my leg out and i wanted to add some other stuff to the old arsenal.

any discussion is appreciated. thanks.

Downwarm elbow spike on the back of their Neck. IT should paralyze them so you can hit them with a Kata.

i usually do the same as you good ol whizzer and shin to thigh if, however, i cant pull my leg out then i just underhook the arm and hook the head sort of guillotine like and u can use your leg as a kick and take them straight over into mount

Eric O said:
Downwarm elbow spike on the back of their Neck. IT should paralyze them so you can hit them with a Kata.

lol...not sure how to interpret this post, but if you were insinuating that i don't train or i'm a tmaer with no grappling experience i'll assure you that im a blue belt under renzo. im just asking the grappling forum because takedowns arent exactly a bjjer's specialty.

pitviper259 said:
i usually do the same as you good ol whizzer and shin to thigh if, however, i cant pull my leg out then i just underhook the arm and hook the head sort of guillotine like and u can use your leg as a kick and take them straight over into mount
You can sometimes roll (flip) them over to their back also, so you can get side mount.

i usually just sprawl...

Or sprawl and use a quater nelson to flip them over.

Or i turn to the side grab the hand flip over the back and crucifix them.

I would do my best to sprawl.
While trying to sprawl that leg away from his arms,
i would try get my arm between his head and my body and crossface him.
I'm not pushing his head "down", but "away" from his arms.
I'll do this while trying to stay balanced, cause he's trying to turn me on my grounded leg(which should be sprawled far and away to avoid a double)...
If he's got a tight, deep grip, it'll take alot of energy and sometimes the leverage won't be
there for you to open him up.
Hope that helps.

He is saying once they already have your leg pinched in-between theirs. He will certainly have a difficult time stopping the takedown with a sprawl from this point.

I remember back when I used to train sub grappling, this one kid, as I was in the process of taking him down via the single, would use my momentum and his non-trapped leg to flip me over and regain top position, before I could finish the takedown properly.

I

This is not the counter that you're discussing but I thought I'd share my favorite move from that position.

When a guy has control of your right leg and is trying to secure a single leg takedown (putting your leg between their legs). I immediately grab control of his collar with my left hand and grab control of his left arm. I sit back down, kicking my right leg up while maintaining control of his left arm (letting go of the collar to allow the sweep to happen). The goal is to sweep him diagonally over your right shoulder. After performing the sweep, I use the momentum to carry me into side control on the guy.

There is a sacrifice counter in judo where you allow them to shoot in & grab your leg. You post your knee/shin of the leg they grab across their midsection. As they drive into you, grab them with double underhooks & throw them backwards over you head as you fall straight back. With some practice, you can roll up into mount with the throw.

Sherdog_Mutt said:
This is not the counter that you're discussing but I thought I'd share my favorite move from that position.

When a guy has control of your right leg and is trying to secure a single leg takedown (putting your leg between their legs). I immediately grab control of his collar with my left hand and grab control of his left arm. I sit back down, kicking my right leg up while maintaining control of his left arm (letting go of the collar to allow the sweep to happen). The goal is to sweep him diagonally over your right shoulder. After performing the sweep, I use the momentum to carry me into side control on the guy.
It was you who used to sweep me ... wasn't it :wink:

my favourite counter to a single leg is the oma plata, its fancy but works really well. when he has your leg you try and put your shin on his outter/hip like you were saying, grab the sleeve and do a forward roll, all the time keeping your leg tight against his body, if you do it correctly you will roll into an oma plata shoulder lock

I usually get an over and underhook and sprawl out to break their grip, then circle towards the side opposite the underhook and go to sideride. They'll often keep grabbing for your legs as you move around them, giving you the crucifix in the scramble.

colinm said:
lol...not sure how to interpret this post, but if you were insinuating that i don't train or i'm a tmaer with no grappling experience i'll assure you that im a blue belt under renzo. im just asking the grappling forum because takedowns arent exactly a bjjer's specialty.

It was just the first thing that popped into my mind, lol.

I think I heard it from some ninja forum or something.

Because I'm a taller lanky guy, I hit switches. It was the best I could do, but in pictures 3-6 of the hip heist series, you can see the guy hitting a switch. http://www.themat.com/coachescorner/technique/hip-heist/hip-heist.asp The key to hiitin this off another guys attempted single is to get his head and your hips close to the ground. Reach through the far leg and shuck the fucker by.

thanks for all the replies. i'm more interested in counters after your sprawl has failed, as triso pointed out, at the moment when he has your leg up and trapped between his, or if you can get it out like i described in the original post.

pitviper - you mean you use the whizzer with your shin on his thigh not in between his legs? ive been keeping my leg in between his, trying to get him pushing into me, then pivoting on my other leg and kicking my trapped leg up in conjunction with the whizzer to get something like an uchi (controling his other arm at the elbow as well). this usually gets me to half guard, but i can see how you could get mount vs a noob.

nick889 - yeah ive used the omoplata as well...i just find it difficult to keep it tight and kinda a low percentage move, any tips for me on how to tighten it up? usually the guy moves to a side ride on me or is halfway to my back before i can get into the roll.

aesopian - the crucifix discussion lives on!!!! but you have to really fuck up the single leg by putting your head on the outside to give it up.

sherdog mutt - ill give it a go tonight, ive seen that move but never tried it. im more interested in no gi in this instance, but the input is still much appreciated.

the spladle is hilarious, i had the opportunity to see one of my friends get spladled in hs wrestling. i don't know what was worse, the embarassment of getting put into such a crazy pin, or having your package dangle out there in front of a full auditorium for almost 2 minutes (he wouldnt give up the pin...somehow). that shit was graphic.

thanks guys keep it coming...i gotta go train now and try some of this stuff out.

Im going to agree with a previous poster. The rolling omoplata will make people say omgwtfbbq?!?

Sometimes when wearing the gi I turn to face them, hook the trapped leg on the inside while reaching over their back and grabbing the belt. Then roll back and throw them with a sacrifice throw. Sometimes it doesn't work. I bring my knee up the middle and try for a quick triangle as they recover thinking omgwtfbbq?!?

colinm said:
aesopian - the crucifix discussion lives on!!!! but you have to really fuck up the single leg by putting your head on the outside to give it up.
He can do the single leg with his head on the inside (the right way) and my plan still works. The underhook and sprawl are what free your leg, and circling to the sideride (while maintain grips, sprawling and keeping your chest on his back) are what put his head on the outside. The crucifix is really a bonus if they leave an arm out as you go to sideride, which they will often do when trying to recover the single leg.

Make sense?

Back