Counterpunchers

Sam Alvey - love the guy, but since he is a counter puncher his fights can be boring.

He either KO's someone / get's KO'd / or takes a boring decision.

I still love his sense of humor and positivity.

Good observation !

Bull rush Smilin Sam and he will put you to sleep.

Don't rush Smilin Sam... Everyone is put to sleep :)

War Alvy !

How has Adesanya not been mentioned yet?
Adesanya imo is an anti counterpuncher. He feints more than anything. I only saw two fights in which he blatantly countered. Those are gastelum and Whittaker, otherwise he doesn't really do it like silva did, for instance.

Last edited:
Most high level strikers are..
Could it also be that other counter puncher are more subtle with it? Maybe that's why I don't really see it much? Like, not everyone is gonna clown their opponents with exaggerated movement like silva or conor. Is that it? Is that why they're not as easy to spot?

Adesanya imo is an anti counterpunchers. He feints more than anything. I only saw two fights in which he blatantly countered. Those are gastelum and Whittaker, otherwise he doesn't really do it like silva did, for instance.
Fair enough, but Gastelum and Whittaker are probably better strikers than anyone Silva has faced.

Good observation !

Bull rush Smilin Sam and he will put you to sleep.

Don't rush Smilin Sam... Everyone is put to sleep :)

War Alvy !
Not sure what this guy was thinking, but it's a hilarious knockout

tumblr_p4ofeaTMXQ1rofocqo1_500.gif

not trying to take over thread

Anderson Silva - Lyoto machida - Nick Diaz - Gunnar Nelson - Domenic Cruz, to add to the ongoing list
But dominick cruz, at least from my observations dodges, but doesn't follow up with the counter. He just clowns you and that's it.

Chuck was an awesome counter puncher in his day. He ate more shots than most counter punchers, but his timing and power got him a lot of knockouts. He also knocked out a lot of guys that had never previously been knocked out.

First thing that came to mind for me.

Counter punchers are the lay'n'prayers of striking.

But dominick cruz, at least from my observations dodges, but doesn't follow up with the counter. He just clowns you and that's it.
Naw he had mean ass counter punches, they were just "ugly" and from awkward angles.

The forward marching crazy fighters always make for more exciting fights (IE guys like Costa, Ferguson, etc...)

Costa vs Adesanya is intriguing for that reason. You got a guy in Costa who refuses to take a backward step ever and throws major power in his combinations versus a guy who's exceptional off the back-foot and is all precision rather than raw power and like the thread says is one of the best counter punchers out there.

Yeah. IMO it goes something like this. From highest level, to low:

1) agressive counter fighters
2) defensive counter fighters
3) hunt powershots, with good defense
4) touch and avoid (jab n run)
5) kill or be killed (basic brawlers)
6) bad strikers
Aggressive Pressure strikers like RDA, Condit, Cain, DC should get a spot on the list. Unless that's what you meant by #1? but they didn't look for counters, they more so just overwhelmed people with great footwork and feints never allowing somebody to feel comfortable.

Naw he had mean ass counter punches, they were just "ugly" and from awkward angles.
Ugly as fuck<45>
Maybe I haven't watched enough cruz. I won't argue with you any further. I'll look into. Someone mentioned Demetrius Johnson. Does he qualify?

Aggressive Pressure strikers like RDA, Condit, Cain, DC should get a spot on the list. Unless that's what you meant by #1? but they didn't look for counters, they more so just overwhelmed people with great footwork and feints never allowing somebody to feel comfortable.
He means aggressive counter punchers like conor. Who do all the above, but instead of hanging back for the counter, actively force you to make a mistake and then capitalize on said mistake with a counter.

Back