Counterpunchers

Joanna is an aggressive counter puncher / aggressive counter kicker / anti-wrestler / anti-grappler / anti-counter puncher / anti-counter kicker.

She just loses to other counter strikers with significantly better athleticism, size parity and with outstanding coaching (Rose, Valentina and possibly Weili).

Joanna is an aggressive counter puncher / aggressive counter kicker / anti-wrestler / anti-grappler / anti-counter puncher / anti-counter kicker.

She just loses to other counter strikers with significantly better athleticism, size parity and with outstanding coaching (Rose, Valentina and possibly Weili).
Really hope Zhang breaks her face... Nothing personal

Last edited:
Faber, great at landing moving backwards. Mighty Mouse. Frankie. Gunnar. Even JDS before his decline.

Of the OG, Chuck. Out of the UFC, Igor was a counterpuncher that many times hs to take the inciative anyway, call it aggresive counterpuncher.
Frankie Edgar? Really?

Counter punchers are the lay'n'prayers of striking.
Literally one of the most exciting and highest paid UFC fighter ever made an career off counter striking........

the problem arises when two skilled counter strikers fight each other and both are waiting for the other to counter.

Literally one of the most exciting and highest paid UFC fighter ever made an career off counter striking........

the problem arises when two skilled counter strikers fight each other and both are waiting for the other to counter.
Yep silva was great

The problem with this is we aren’t just talking striker vs striker right? For example if your plan is to aggressively counter a wrestler, you may have a really tough time. I think there needs to be a 7th category in which a fighter is able to transition from style to style situationally. For me, that what sets some guys apart from others. Lyoto is a fantastic defensive counter puncher, but it always felt like he was stuck in that one gameplan. And regardless of how good you are, if you don’t give different looks, you’ll be figured out.
We're falling in a semantics discussion here. An agressive counterpuncher for me, por example Igor would go into attack but kind of counter the movements of the wrestler. Or it is rival is backing would at least feint to provoke a reaction and counter back.

I don't know why I just remembered The Flying Knee From Hell that Igor used to counter strike Nick Nutter into bolivian, in ther rematch in Israel back in the day. Sure someone used that technique before, but It was the fist time I saw that. Nick was out cold for several minutes. Scary stuff...

Frankie Edgar? Really?
Frankie Edgar counter punched the hell out of bigger guys like Bendo and Maynard. He'd chip away with like 4-5 punches and scurry away (angle off) or shoot for the legs.

Pretty sure he clipped Mendes for the KO with a overhand right to counter his hook or something like that.

Valentina is by far the best example of a defensive counter striker we have and she regularly turns in boring fights regardless of who she faces unless they do really stupid shit like Eye or they are a complete can and blow their knee in the first exchange. No need to be a counter striker vs Val to do that.

Frankie Edgar? Really?
Frankie can counter wtih the best of them. Watch him countering Faber's overhands with uppercuts and left hooks. A thing of beauty. Watch him fighting Bendo, Aldo and Maynard. Ok ,he lost twice to Bendo and Aldo, but whatever.

Frankie Edgar counter punched the hell out of bigger guys like Bendo and Maynard. He'd chip away with like 4-5 punches and scurry away (angle off) or shoot for the legs.

Pretty sure he clipped Mendes for the KO with a overhand right to counter his hook or something like that.
I cannot edit and I cannot thank (Yellow card). But I would, If I could.

Indeed, when two fighters don't want to adapt their gameplan, it can sometimes lead to a boring fight.

What I miss greatly is the enormous amount of gifs we used to have access to after each match that showed exchanges slowed down so we can appreciate them as a community and provide visual examples.

Sadly the UFC are cunts and struck most of it so none of the usual suspects bother to make gifs anymore. God forbid we try and grow the sport/promotion/fighters especially on social media for the UFC for free.

Back