Could the secret to out-striking McGregor be simply walking him down?

The Natural Born Runner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know it sounds ridiculously easy, and I understand that it definitely isn't, but I genuinely think fighters give way too much respect to Conor's hands. We've not seen one fighter tuck the chin and walk him down, take away his range, throw hooks in close and try to nail him.

Nate has underrated power, but he's not exactly a power puncher, he throws arm punches a lot of the time, he's a true volume puncher. Chad Mendes did try to implement this plan a bit in their fight but his stamina just couldn't hold up and he was considerably shorter than Conor, very tough to get in close with those T-Rex arms.

I know it was a boxing ring and I understand that the gloves are smaller in terms of your ability to guard, but I think Floyd showed a blueprint of how to get to him in boxing exchanges.

I agree with Conor, he's very tough to beat at range, and that really is his method of victory most times.

I would love to see someone go full Paulo Costa on him and just walk him down with true power shots, smother his shots and get in tight. Would be fascinating to see how he would react to that gameplan.

Not many can do what Nate did. Nate got dropped how many times the 2nd fight?

He is one of the toughest LWs. Others would be finished using this tactic.

Last edited:
Walk down one of the best aggressive counter punchers in the history of the sport, especially when your own striking is mediocre?

Did you think about this just for a second before you posted?

Whats with all the Mcgregor threads? Also bold strategy, like anyone in the UFC can emulate Floyd hahaha

Not many can do what Nate did. Nate got dropped how many times in 2 fights.

He is one of the toughest LWs. Others would be finished using this tactic.
I still don't think Nate really walked him down enough. Nate is the sort of guy who just follows his opponent, he doesn't use footwork to cut the cage off and he doesn't really come after you aggressively, he feels you out and then he plods forward in hope of getting you on the cage, he doesn't really "press the issue".

I'd be intrigued to see someone with a little more heat on their punches try to get in close and dirty box.

Walk down one of the best aggressive counter punchers in the history of the sport, especially when your own striking is mediocre?

Did you think about this just for a second before you posted?
Who do you think I'm referencing? Khabib? Because I'm not.

I think he always finds success countering in open space, look at Aldo, Poirier, Alvarez, Mendes etc. he never knocks these guys out as they have him on the cage backed up for example.

I think you're misconstruing my angle here. I'm talking about a ultra aggressive Paulo Costa type of approach.

Last edited:
Whats with all the Mcgregor threads? Also bold strategy, like anyone in the UFC can emulate Floyd hahaha
Floyd did something very basic in there, I literally just rewatched the fight.

He's obviously a great fighter, but Floyd didn't outclass Conor necessarily, he made it his mission to get a stoppage and knew that he needed to fight that style. I think a half decent power puncher could take that approach and with some element of being able to cut a cage off, would have success with this approach.

He's obviously a great fighter, but Floyd didn't outclass Conor necessarily, he made it his mission to get a stoppage and knew that he needed to fight that style. I think a half decent power puncher could take that approach and with some element of being able to cut a cage off, would have success with this approach.
I will tell you something with certainty Natural Born Rimmer. There is no one and hasnt ever been anyone with the skills in the UFC to do what Floyd did. This is a non argument.

you rewatched the fight in 2 min? damn, you're something else

Like, just imagine if Nate actually ran after him throwing for hell, fire and brimstone?

Nate was too comfortable with the mind games and the mocking. He should have literally ran at him.
yeah nate was part of the problem, imagine if he beat him and we had never had the LW title held hestage for 2+ years.......

Who do you think I'm referencing? Khabib? Because I'm not.

I think he always finds success countering in open space, look at Aldo, Poirier, Alvarez, Mendes etc. he never knocks these guys out as they have him on the cage backed up for example.

I think you're misconstruing what angle here. I'm talking about a ultra aggressive Paulo Costa type of approach.
You understand you have to get in close safely right? Now bumrushing Conor, to dirty box is the dumbest thing you could do.

He needs a split second of you moving forward for him to find your chin. How do you think someone should close the distance? Throw and overhand and then a double? Mendes did that and he got KO'd.

Walking him down would mean his opponent would be willing to take a big shot from Conor. Which I don't think is the best idea. Say what you will, the guy no doubt has ko power...

It's a risky proposition..

You understand you have to get in close safely right? Now bumrushing Conor, to dirty box is the dumbest thing you could do.

He needs a split second of you moving forward for him to find your chin. How do you think someone should close the distance? Throw and overhand and then a double? Mendes did that and he got KO'd.
Mendes didn't get KO'd by doing that though did he? That approach actually gave him a lot of success.

He lost because he was backed up, gassed and punched in the face.

You can't point me to one example where Conor does well when someone smothers him with a high guard. Floyd and Nate are two solid examples where you cover your chin with a high guard and get in close, take the extension and power off his straight punches, Conor loves a straight he doesn't even really throw that many hooks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back