Could the secret to out-striking McGregor be simply walking him down?

You’re overrating his power in a big way. As we saw against Floyd, and even little Paulie, he has no real raw power. He has good timing and accuracy, range and poise - and that combined with fighting enraged manlets with no chins and no defence has made his power look far better than it is.

I’ll hazard a guess any big solid 155 pounders like Kebab and Tony will take his shots just fine. They may get buzzed, they may get heavily outlanded and busted up on the feet, but there’s very little chance of them getting 1 punch ko’d.
You compared conor fighting boxers in boxing with pillows on his fists versus much lesser standup fighters with tiny gloves.

No one in MMA has the boxing skills of Floyd Mayweather.

Khabib can use this method with his grappling but sure as fuck not standing. Ad I stated in a previous post, only Tony could probably do this.

You also echoed my statement when you only named two fighters out of a division with like 70 fighters...... That is "not many"... Like I said in my original post.

People talking how Conor has amazing footwork. Not true

He looked very flatfooted against both Nate and Eddie. His counter are fast but if you walk through them he is there to be cornered. He had to literally turn his back away and run from Nate because all Nate did was push him to the fence. Eddie was just running with his chin up in the air.

If Khabib pressures Conor in a smart way he can definitely Conor him. People act like Conor has Dominick Cruz or TJ footwork but it's simply not true. Go watch his fights.

Not many can do what Nate did. Nate got dropped how many times in 2 fights.

He is one of the toughest LWs. Others would be finished using this tactic.
Never never threaten with TDs
Cro Cop was on of the best strikers at one point..Fedor never let him get settled..
Colby also walked down Dos Anjos recently... Many examples I won't get into but the TD threat makes a huge difference

And I love the Diaz bros but their style is susceptible to be hit and their wrestling is ok at best

He looked very flatfooted against both Nate and Eddie. His counter are fast but if you walk through them he is there to be cornered. He had to literally turn his back away and run from Nate because all Nate did was push him to the fence. Eddie was just running with his chin up in the air.

If Khabib pressures Conor in a smart way he can definitely Conor him. People act like Conor has Dominick Cruz or TJ footwork but it's simply not true. Go watch his fights.
Where are these posts about his footwork? I am not seeing them.

Nate could have decisively beat Conor but he's a showman. He let Conor retreat and didn't suffocate him.

Walk down one of the best aggressive counter punchers in the history of the sport, especially when your own striking is mediocre?

Did you think about this just for a second before you posted?
Perhaps you didnt think of chael vs silva before you responded...

What is the argument you're actually making?
Are you asserting that Conor may be weak to pressure fighters?
Because if so, that's not great insight, people have been saying that since he got in the UFC

What TS is saying has been discussed for generations in the boxing community

Boxer vs brawler vs "swarmer"

He is referring to a "swarmer"

Here is a decent article about these styles with video examples:

https://evolve-vacation.com/blog/boxing-styles-explained/

The principle is that by swarming the technical range depending "boxer" / "long range fighter" that they will not have the time or space needed to execute their technique.

And it is an excellent strategy. Provided you have the tools to back it up. You need good defense, endurance, crazy cardio to keep constant moving forward, solid chin too, you must keep the pressure on which requires you to work very hard - in the hopes that you catch your opponent or tire him out before you tire yourself out.

I'm not sure I can think of a LW MMA fighter who comes to mind who is well equipped for this style against Conor though. (In a striking capacity at least)
RDA fights this way very well, he comes forward and applies pressure with the best of them, but I doubt he returns to 155.
Maybe Robbie Lawler, (at 170) but he is bigger and now past his prime and no longer a title holder so the fight won't happen.

Khabib could combine swarming with takedowns to beat Conor FOR SURE, that absolutely should be his strategy since he will be target practice for Conor while at range. But he better be able to keep it up and better hope he doesn't get caught on the way in. Boxers employing this style tend to have WAY better defense, better head movement, chin tucked low... (and bigger gloves!),

Last edited:
I know it sounds ridiculously easy, and I understand that it definitely isn't, but I genuinely think fighters give way too much respect to Conor's hands. We've not seen one fighter tuck the chin and walk him down, take away his range, throw hooks in close and try to nail him.

Nate has underrated power, but he's not exactly a power puncher, he throws arm punches a lot of the time, he's a true volume puncher. Chad Mendes did try to implement this plan a bit in their fight but his stamina just couldn't hold up and he was considerably shorter than Conor, very tough to get in close with those T-Rex arms.

I know it was a boxing ring and I understand that the gloves are smaller in terms of your ability to guard, but I think Floyd showed a blueprint of how to get to him in boxing exchanges.

I agree with Conor, he's very tough to beat at range, and that really is his method of victory most times.

I would love to see someone go full Paulo Costa on him and just walk him down with true power shots, smother his shots and get in tight. Would be fascinating to see how he would react to that gameplan.

Meh.
Even if you disregard the ring and the gloves, you would need to be a Floyd of Boxing. With timing, speed and angles, etc.

it's like saying how easy it was to beat Ronda... if you had the skills and movement of Holm...

Conor blocked a lot of Chads punches with his face . It just so happened he dwarfed Chad and had no regard for his power. Khabib wont be the guy cause he has poor striking, but the fear of a takedown does crazy things to strikers. Conor just hasnt fought a wide enough variety of to guys to expose that.

Nate showed the game plan to beat Conor. First, dont let his trash talk work by embarassing him at the press conference, then allow him to not have to cut weight from his likely walk around weight, and have him fight a fellow lightweight 10 pounds above his natural weightclass . Then, let him gas out in 7 minutes by winging power punches at a guy whos notoriously hard to finish, and hope his shit coach is on board with this game plan. Last but not least , use a basic 1 2 punch countering and uppercut t o send him into panic wrestling mode where hell shortly quit, only works once though.
There i fixed it for you

Getting the ring cut off by a diaz brother is not a sign of good footwork and i love the diaz bros

Fair play, you do love making McGregor threads, don't you?

Not many can do what Nate did. Nate got dropped how many times the 2nd fight?

He is one of the toughest LWs. Others would be finished using this tactic.

I don’t think any other LW in the division could take those punches. Eddie couldn’t..

Good lord. PLEASE try and walk Conor down. You’re gonna get countered into Bolivian.

Back