Could Overeem have a Glover Teixeira type of ending if he switches up his gameplan?

I doubt it, he already tried going from forward pressure mauler to that bizarre and almost completely ineffective "style" of poke and literally run and he still got murked. His chin, glass to begin with, is now totally shot and he has absolutely no confidence in his ability to take one and stay standing now. For a guy whose game was predicated on pressure, physicality in the clinch, and technical and aggressive striking at mid-to-close range it would be a hell of a transition to a grappling style.

He's no slouch on the ground, far from it, but his takedowns are from from D1 ready and in today's game getting the takedown almost always requires some time in the pocket and any time he's there he has a significant chance of having his synapses shattered. Even if he had a prime Coleman-esque blast double he'd probably get blasted out more often than not because his chin is pure china, post-Rampage Liddell level or even worse.

Feed him to Brock when he signs to UFC. Brock will destroy him on a rematch..

As I read in other threads the current HW roster lacks decent grapplers, seeing as Overeem is an underrated grappler (my opinion). He won gold in the 2005 ADCC European Championships. If Overeem used a grapple heavy style instead of trying to strike what do you think his chances would be of winning the belt?

No I dont think so.

He tried to take down Rozenstruik and looked really bad, his attempts were some of the most telegraphed takedown attempts I've ever seen.

Glover can take an absurd amount of damage even being old as dirt. Overeem has NEVER been able to take punches like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back