Could Overeem have a Glover Teixeira type of ending if he switches up his gameplan?

Azazyah

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
As I read in other threads the current HW roster lacks decent grapplers, seeing as Overeem is an underrated grappler (my opinion). He won gold in the 2005 ADCC European Championships. If Overeem used a grapple heavy style instead of trying to strike what do you think his chances would be of winning the belt?

I think we saw what would happen .he did change his style to be more defensibly sound and grapple heavy and got as far as Volkov where he got ko''ed and cut . HW's also hit too hard to have Glovers Homer Simpson strategy lol .

Glover has that old man strength for LWH, but in the HW there are guys who are stronger and better wrestlers (Blaydes) than horse meat-less Reem for him to implement similar game plans.

Alistair tried that against the Ngannou and got reversed right away

Timestamped

Is this a troll thread?

He wrestled against Bigfoot and held him down for two rounds, only to get KO'ed in the third.

He won against Struve, Sakai, Pavlovich via ground and pound off of takedowns. He beat Werdum by outgrappling him.

Overeem’s problem is his chin, you can’t change that. Technically speaking, Alistair could’ve been a champion (He dropped Stipe twice in the first round) but his brain shuts off the moment a fly touches his chin. You can’t go very far with a chin so susceptible to damage.

Bro, Overeem's not in UFC anymore. How can he have a Glover ending?

Am I being trolled?

Is this a troll thread?

He wrestled against Bigfoot and held him down for two rounds, only to get KO'ed in the third.

He won against Struve, Sakai, Pavlovich via ground and pound off of takedowns. He beat Werdum by outgrappling him.
that's what I was saying he has good grappling if he switch to a heavy grappling style with striking only to get the takedown could he be champ or is it just to late for him

He almost did. Dropped Stipe in his title fight.

So he came close, but it didn't work out that way. He was just too damn chinny to put it all together, too many fights, too much damage, probably sparred too hard.

Bro, Overeem's not in UFC anymore. How can he have a Glover ending?

Am I being trolled?
between school n work I haven't been keeping up like I usually do, fine switch to a hypothetical lol

He almost did. Dropped Stipe in his title fight.

So he came close, but it didn't work out that way. He was just too damn chinny to put it all together, too many fights, too much damage, probably sparred too hard.
true, he was just one of my fav fighters wish he went out on top.

Yes. It was pretty amazing to see every time Overeem got someone down, he dominated. He insisted on keeping it standing though.

It did seem like he tried getting several fights to the ground and couldn't though so he'd probably need to work on his takedowns. If he gets them down though, his ground and pound and control was top notch.

between school n work I haven't been keeping up like I usually do, fine switch to a hypothetical lol
Ok. Well, it happened in March. Technically, what you're talking about is the approach he was attempting at the end (vs Harris and Sakai).

GrimEvilBasil-size_restricted.gif

FriendlyLongIaerismetalmark-size_restricted.gif

But Volkov set him back again and UFC didn't feel like they wanted to keep pay all the money they were paying him. Which has been rumored to be around 800k per fight.

Too late for Overeem to retool his fighting style. Too much cumulative damage, and too dangerous of a division.

He don't need to change his style. He just needs to find a place where they don't test.

Overeem has always been a very good but flawed fighter.

He's never beaten a reigning MMA champion and never will.

Overeem has always been a very good but flawed fighter.

He's never beaten a reigning MMA champion and never will.
Pretty much this! Has every tool in the book to dominate but enough holes to keep losing at the top level

Overeem, a grappling heavy gameplan? He'd still lose to the top guys.

• He tried to wrestle Ngannou immediately and got smushed into the cage.
  • His wrestling is weaker than Blaydes' and Blaydes could only hold Volkov for five rounds and not do much damage. When Overeem tried to fight Volkov...
  • Blaydes already sliced his face open.
  • Miocic also has better grappling.
  • He tried to do that to Bigi Boy but just couldn't do much damage (Bigi took all his shots without even flinching) and gassed hard, which led to the KO. I do think he'd beat Bigi if it were three rounds.

Glover has never looked bad.
Reem has had his clock cleaner way too many times

Back