Could no gi submission grappling be an olympic event?

jjmuaythaiguy

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have often wondered, with olympic events such as synchronized swimming,

Synchronized Swimming at the Olympics

Or table tennis?:

INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE - SPORTS

Now yoga being considered?:

FOX Sports on MSN - More Sports -

would it ever be possible to have no-gi submission grappling become an olympic sport?

I would like to say some form of submission grappling (without strikes) exist in each country. Is any submission grappling committee formed to develop interest of getting into olympics?

If the olympic games were started to mimic warfare, I would think that submission no gi grappling could be a awesome event. I would like some thoughts on the idea.

Anybody else?

yes if judo and freestyle/greco roman wrestling is in there than so should sub grappling...

It will get a test run eventually. Be patient, the IOC is very big, very clumsy, and very corrupt.

Possible for sure. But I worry that they would end up doing what they did with judo, removing a lot of techniques. As it is there's a lot of tournaments which ban certain leglocks, neck cranks, calf and bicep slicers. I can only imagine the restrictions that the Olympics would put on it.

it would be retarded for them not to, eventually. the fan base already eclipses that of many olympic sports.

it would be retarded for them not to, eventually. the fan base already eclipses that of many olympic sports.

What, are you trying to tell me you don't regularly train in biathlon, synchronized swimming, luge, or ski jump? Just head to your local ski jump ramp or bobsled run and get to work!

Some of the olympic sports are such niche activities with so few opportunities for regular people (even those with time and money) to train and compete, that it shocks me the IOC would consider it wise to remove baseball from the Olympics without touching curling.

That would be a cool addition. I bet some of the hardcore wrestlers wouldn't want any sport invading their turf though :)

yoga!!!!!!????????? wtf would they do? its not even a fucking sport!

Many old time judoka will tell you getting into the olympics was the worst thing that ever happened to sport judo ... the cheap ippons, the quick standups etc all came out of the IOC's request that judo become more TV friendly.

Having said that, no gi submission could become an olympic sport if it met the IOC guidelines for country participation. However, you need something like good participation in 50 countries in 3 continents (can't remember the exact number), and at least a dozen or so very competitive countries to get the sport in, so it'll be awhile before it will make it.

Women's ski jumping, for instance, was refused entry because it didn't have enough serious countries (ie countries with good medal hopes), and the IOC has been trying to get more women's sports.

I thought submission grappling was going to be an exhibition event at this year's summer games. Did I read wrong? If so, it's a step in the right direction for the sport.

i'd looove to see submission grappling in the olympics. it'd be a way of allowing bjj, sambo, and catch wrestlers to compete in the olympics. but unfortunately i highly doubt comittee memebers from countries like france, italy and germany would be able to understand the purpose and importance of certain rules in the sub game. probably would get a lot of backlash from traditional wrestling countries.

What are you guys talking about, ADCC is the Olympics right?? HAHAHAHA

It would be nice to see it that mainstream but to see it get that f'ed up would also be ashame! Double edge sword.

I guess I would hate to see rules that would kill the way submission grappling is known today but would love for the rest of the world to understand the pure skill and technique of submission grappling. I would wonder what regular people who watch Marcelo Garcia in action.

First, yoga isn't a sport.
For submission to become an olympic sport it would have to be changed. A lot of techniques would be banned, and the fight itself isn't TV Friendly. When someone that doesn't know anything about BJJ goes to a tournament I have to spend 5 minutes explaining the rules. It's not very intuitive, it's not One guy has to slam the other in the ground in a such a manner his back touches the ground.

i'm portuguese so sorry for any grammatic incorrections.

First, yoga isn't a sport.
For submission to become an olympic sport it would have to be changed. A lot of techniques would be banned, and the fight itself isn't TV Friendly. When someone that doesn't know anything about BJJ goes to a tournament I have to spend 5 minutes explaining the rules. It's not very intuitive, it's not One guy has to slam the other in the ground in a such a manner his back touches the ground.

i'm portuguese so sorry for any grammatic incorrections.

I'm not sure which techniques would be banned - chokes and locks aren't a problem (see judo), nor hard takedowns (see wrestling). But you're right about it not being TV friendly ... that's the same problem judo has (and wrestling actually, though wrestling is one of the sports from the original ancient Greek games and its always going to be there :icon_chee) and the IOC has made judo jump through hoops because of it.

Judo is closer to ancient Greek wrestling than either FILA approved form of wrestling. That should tell you something about FILA and the Olympics.

I'm not sure which techniques would be banned - chokes and locks aren't a problem (see judo), nor hard takedowns (see wrestling). But you're right about it not being TV friendly ... that's the same problem judo has (and wrestling actually, though wrestling is one of the sports from the original ancient Greek games and its always going to be there :icon_chee) and the IOC has made judo jump through hoops because of it.

So was pankration ;)

Back