Could no gi submission grappling be an olympic event?

I'm not sure which techniques would be banned - chokes and locks aren't a problem (see judo), nor hard takedowns (see wrestling). But you're right about it not being TV friendly ... that's the same problem judo has (and wrestling actually, though wrestling is one of the sports from the original ancient Greek games and its always going to be there :icon_chee) and the IOC has made judo jump through hoops because of it.

You are aware that they changed a lot of things in Judo when it was made an olympic sport, right?

I think open grappling should be an olympic event, thats way more fun and has way more variety.

You are aware that they changed a lot of things in Judo when it was made an olympic sport, right?

Yes, I mentioned two of them in another post in this thread ... the easy ippons and quick standups. You could also add the current 5 minute matches where they used to be 15 minute matches ... none of these changes were for the better.

But as far as I know no techniques were banned by the IOC. Judo has banned a few techniques since its become an olympic sport, most notably kani basami (scissor throw) and diving variations of uchi mata and seoi nage. But the IOC had no part in the banning, they were taken out by the IJF because it was felt they led to too many serious injuries (knee for kani basami, spinal for the diving variations).

Yes, I mentioned two of them in another post in this thread ... the easy ippons and quick standups. You could also add the current 5 minute matches where they used to be 15 minute matches ... none of these changes were for the better.

But as far as I know no techniques were banned by the IOC. Judo has banned a few techniques since its become an olympic sport, most notably kani basami (scissor throw) and diving variations of uchi mata and seoi nage. But the IOC had no part in the banning, they were taken out by the IJF because it was felt they led to too many serious injuries (knee for kani basami, spinal for the diving variations).

I would see a lot of bjj techniques banned for the same reason, because they are too "dangerous." It's bad enough that a lot of tournaments are watering this martial art down by banning techniques, this would accelerate it. The more of a sport it becomes, the less of a martial art it becomes.

it would be a great addition..but obviousl there would be a difference created...a seperate branch of sum grappling...same as Judo and Olympic Judo are quite different...it's not a bad thing as long as a clear line in the difference is drawn.

I would see a lot of bjj techniques banned for the same reason, because they are too "dangerous." It's bad enough that a lot of tournaments are watering this martial art down by banning techniques, this would accelerate it. The more of a sport it becomes, the less of a martial art it becomes.

Probably true, but the banning would be a result of BJJ gaining popularity and a world wide BJJ federation deciding that potential injuries could hurt the sport. The IOC wouldn't have a part in it ... the IOC gets involved when they think it costs TV audiences, not when it involves the safety of athletes. You can draw your own conclusions from that :icon_twis

The issue of the difference between sport and martial art is a long, on going one of course continuously debated. I'm in the camp of those that say combat sport athletes do better in "real" fights than people who train techniques that are so dangerous they can't be practiced in full out sparring - ie if someone can't hit me with a jab, what makes him think he's going to be able to hit a smaller target like my eyes with a gouge? But its a real debate with advocates on both sides, and I don't think its going to stop anytime soon. Even in judo circles you get the argument all the time (mainly from the decreasing population of traditionalists) ... folks who think because judo has some striking in katas (atemi waza) that there's no need to cross train in say boxing or MT.

I'd also add that any real martial art is armed anyway. At least where I live, real fights involve weapons and multiples, and cops I train with say only amateurs fight on the street without weapons - they generally advise me to carry a weapon and take my chances with court instead of hoping that unarmed skills are going to make much difference when several guys with knives, bats and possibly handguns attack. Mind you, cops tend to see only the worst kinds of fights, so their view might be skewed.

it's just another avenue for competitors to compete. the more competition that is available the more competitors. they can always adapt to new/different rules

Back