Could Jon Jones make more money outside of the UFC ?

He makes arround 4,5 Million a Year in the UFC and with his sponsors.
So if he would sign with lets say Bellator how much would they be willing to pay him ?
Or any other org.

And would it be a smart move by Jones, leaving the UFC undefeated and as the actual champ. He could be some kind of a free agent :) and only sign one fight deals, I am sure a lot of organizations would be interessted to have Jones fight their champion.
The ratings would be priceless. Jones could make the same money but fight lower competition. And he would win the battle against Lorenzo & Co !

why don't you answer your own question by finding another current fighter in any other org outside of the ufc that makes at least 4.5 million per fight. if you find one, then id say its a possibility.

I don't think so at least not long term. Lets say he signs a huge contract with Bellator, people will be interested the first fight or two but people really don't like him nor care to watch him all that much. He gets respectable numbers but nothing impressive compared to Tito, GSP, Silva, and Lesnar.

Yup.

I meant to say it also depends if they can get quality opponents to fight him (Gus and DC) *Cough cough, lol. That's about it.

He wouldn't have to fight, he could make money doing any number of things.

It is possible, but unlikely. Maybe he could promote his own fights. I would pay for A Jon Jones Production PPV.

Yeah, in the short term. Theres always someone willing to break the bank to attract top guys it seems.

Maybe he could make more money playing basketball

2gt3g5v.jpg

Sure, wrestling allows all kinds of eye pokes and shenanigans of that nature. :icon_chee I'm sure his exciting style will fit well with WWE.

I'm not sure. Which other elite LHWs are there to fight outside of the UFC? Rampage again? King Mo? Newton? Then what?

Yes and then Bellator would probably go out of business.

He would have to finish his current contract before he could leave.

Unless he wants to get sued.

Sorry your wrong here.

Jones CAN'T EVER LEAVE THE UFC HOLDING A UFC CHAMPIONSHIP.

There is something that ZUFFA 'pioneered' in MMA called the "champion's clause". Every time a champion's contract is up it is 'automatically' renewed and he cannot leave by his own accord to pursue BETTER opportunities/more money offered out there.

So, Jone's is restricted from selling himself on the free market for the best price and is forced to still fight for the UFC even though they would be paying him less money than a competitor. The UFC on the other hand can cut a fighter with an enforce contract at any time for any reasons. :icon_lol: I don't think they even have to buy out his remaining contract/pay severance. That could never happen in big league sports.

Can you imagine this kind of crap going over in major pro sports leagues? "I know your contarct and there are offers out there for WAY more money but... you won the championship last season and your lower moeny contract is auto-renewed!" :icon_lol:

HELL NO! Just recently, for the first time, Bellator managed to have an event break 100k PPV buys....you seriously expect them to pay Jones the kind of money that he's going to want?

Do you really think people are going to be lining up to see him beat up on B and C level fighters?

This is the reason why Jones has no leverage, he literally has no where else to go. Bellator would be a joke and a major step back.

Jones isn't even that big of a draw in the ufc lol.

Wouldn't be worth it for an other org imo

he likely wouldnt hold on to a sponsor like Nike outside of the UFC

HELL NO! Just recently, for the first time, Bellator managed to have an event break 100k PPV buys....you seriously expect them to pay Jones the kind of money that he's going to want?

Do you really think people are going to be lining up to see him beat up on B and C level fighters?

This is the reason why Jones has no leverage, he literally has no where else to go. Bellator would be a joke and a major step back.

If Jones tells Bellator "ok I'll fight for you, but I dont want salary, I get 50% of the PPV buys and I'll fight whoever the hell you want, Tito, Rampage, bring it!" 50% of a PPV where Jones fights "could" be more than what Bellator has gotten in any past PPV on its own, and 50% of a PPV purse where Jones fights any can "could" be more than what he earns with the UFC. Im not saying these numbers are right, Im saying if you have good business sense its not "impossible" for Jones to make more money outside of the UFC

His annual income is probably somewhere between 10 and 20% of Bellator's annual budget. Yes Viacom has way more money than the UFC, but they aren't spending it on Bellator.

Bear in mind that Viacom isn't in the show business. They are in the network business. They aren't competing with the UFC they are competing with News Corp.

Bellator is probably not in the top 20 most popular Viacom shows, and spike is a 3rd tier network for them. Every suit at Viacom is far more worried about Snookie, Sponge Bob, and Jon Stewart than they are about Jones.

And would it be a smart move by Jones, leaving the UFC undefeated and as the actual champ. He could be some kind of a free agent :) and only sign one fight deals, I am sure a lot of organizations would be interessted to have Jones fight their champion.
The ratings would be priceless. Jones could make the same money but fight lower competition. And he would win the battle against Lorenzo & Co !

Do you really think JBJ fighting some 9-1 underdog would get that many PPV buys? I don't agree...his PPV buy rate isn't that good now, even with the strength of the UFC brand and hype machine behind him.

If Jones tells Bellator "ok I'll fight for you, but I dont want salary, I get 50% of the PPV buys and I'll fight whoever the hell you want, Tito, Rampage, bring it!" 50% of a PPV where Jones fights "could" be more than what Bellator has gotten in any past PPV on its own, and 50% of a PPV purse where Jones fights any can "could" be more than what he earns with the UFC. Im not saying these numbers are right, Im saying if you have good business sense its not "impossible" for Jones to make more money outside of the UFC

But that's just my point, do you really think Bellator is giving up 50% of its PPV share to one fighter....NO WAY! Jones in a Bellator PPV might reach 200k buys...at most. And that would be after Bellator spends some big dough to market it.

I mean how else are you going to expect Bellator to sell a fight against Tito, a guy who won only one fight in his last 6 years fighting for the UFC, and Rampage, a guy that Jones has already outclassed.

Not to mention upsetting his current sponsors for going to a B-level promotion, and having to renegotiate less money with them as well.

Its not going to happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back