Could Jon Jones make more money outside of the UFC ?

Malik111

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
He makes arround 4,5 Million a Year in the UFC and with his sponsors.
So if he would sign with lets say Bellator how much would they be willing to pay him ?
Or any other org.

And would it be a smart move by Jones, leaving the UFC undefeated and as the actual champ. He could be some kind of a free agent :) and only sign one fight deals, I am sure a lot of organizations would be interessted to have Jones fight their champion.
The ratings would be priceless. Jones could make the same money but fight lower competition. And he would win the battle against Lorenzo & Co !

Yes, probably less restrictions and more upfront money than the 400k ufc. Remember the ufc has some sponsors that can't be promoted at ufc events, other Orgs can give him more autonomy. With him basically beating all true contenders him leaving is basically winning a basketball game and taking your ball home with you and retiring.

Its impossible to say. The UFC has all the top opponents so its hard to imagine Bellator doing more PPV buys with Jones than the UFC could do. I suppose if Bellator wanted to take a loss on Jones they could give gim some obscene cash just to fuck with the UFC.

$4.5 million a year ain't bad.
But that Viacom money though. He probably could get that a fight, maybe.

ow yeah! loads more. Viacom would pay throught the nose to get JBJ in bellator!

I doubt it because of the PPV cut.

I having the #1 p4p best fight will bring a lot of money to a promotion competing with the UFC.

He would have to finish his current contract before he could leave.

Unless he wants to get sued.

$4.5 million a year ain't bad.
But that Viacom money though. He probably could get that a fight, maybe.

Viacom money isn't Bellator money just like FOX money isn't UFC money.

He'd be on every Viacom channel getting paid

He makes arround 4,5 Million a Year in the UFC and with his sponsors.
So if he would sign with lets say Bellator how much would they be willing to pay him ?
Or any other org.

And would it be a smart move by Jones, leaving the UFC undefeated and as the actual champ. He could be some kind of a free agent :) and only sign one fight deals, I am sure a lot of organizations would be interessted to have Jones fight their champion.
The ratings would be priceless. Jones could make the same money but fight lower competition. And he would win the battle against Lorenzo & Co !

Well, he's under contract. But if for a moment we imagine he wasn't, he might be able to cash in and exceed his current yearly take, but he would likely jeopardize his career totals doing so.

Only desperate organizations would have a guy come in for a one fight deal to fight their champion. When Bones wins, all they've done is devalue their own brand.

Yes,If he could negotiate a ppv deal for like 15 or 20 dollars for every ppv buy,even if he sold 150-200k ppvs outside the ufc he would make as much as if he sold 1m inside the ufc

Only desperate organizations would have a guy come in for a one fight deal to fight their champion. When Bones wins, all they've done is devalue their own brand.

True, but dont you think the chance that your champion beats the Nr. 1 lhw in the world would be worth the risk ? If some minor league lhw beats Jon Jones that would make everybody tune in to see the next fight of that guy. And could be worth a whole lot more in promotion for the organization, something they could never achieve in other ways.

Yes, probably less restrictions and more upfront money than the 400k ufc. Remember the ufc has some sponsors that can't be promoted at ufc events, other Orgs can give him more autonomy. With him basically beating all true contenders him leaving is basically winning a basketball game and taking your ball home with you and retiring.

That all depends how many viewers and PPV buys the other organization receives when he fights.

Yes,If he could negotiate a ppv deal for like 15 or 20 dollars for every ppv buy,even if he sold 150-200k ppvs outside the ufc he would make as much as if he sold 1m inside the ufc

Given that the cable co's take 50% of the PPV revenue and the Bellator PPV was $44 last time, $20 per buy would leave Bellator with $2 per. :)

Not sure he could get 200k buys to fight Rampage again.

I don't think so at least not long term. Lets say he signs a huge contract with Bellator, people will be interested the first fight or two but people really don't like him nor care to watch him all that much. He gets respectable numbers but nothing impressive compared to Tito, GSP, Silva, and Lesnar.

True, but dont you think the chance that your champion beats the Nr. 1 lhw in the world would be worth the risk ? If some minor league lhw beats Jon Jones that would make everybody tune in to see the next fight of that guy. And could be worth a whole lot more in promotion for the organization, something they could never achieve in other ways.

For desperate organizations, it might be. I suppose all of the current competitors are desperate.

But that's where the real money would be for other org. To get Jones, pay him off to lose and in doing so devalue the UFC brand while increasing their own. But when that happens we might as well watch McMahon's offering. :)

Back