• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Could Andre Ward beat Bivol and Beterbiev if he didn't retire early?

StopDucking

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Ward retired in 2017 at 33 years old after beating Kovalev twice. By then, he was already past his prime but was still the best fighter in the world. Bivol and Beterbiev were on the rise but weren't considered the monsters they later became.

I've always assumed Ward would have beaten both of them but the more I think about it, the less certain I am. Had Ward kept fighting, his schedule would have been:
- 2018: tune-up fight + Bivol/Beterbiev
- 2019: tune-up fight + Bivol/Beterbiev

By 2019, it was clear those two were the real deal, especially Beterbiev (Bivol schooled Joe Smith Jr. and Beterbiev beat up Gvozdyk). A 2010-2012 version of Ward would probably decision them all but would the older, slower, post-layoff and post-surgery version of Ward get it done?

Ward was at SMW during those years of 2010 to 2012. Beterbiev is strong, I don't think Ward could out wrestle him. Probably need to try to put jab him. Bivol more beatable.

Thing with Ward, as good as he is, he'll just get dirtier in order to win a fight. Either he's a narcissist who doesn't think the rules belong to him, or he is afraid of losing and knows he needs to be dirty.

Ward was at SMW during those years of 2010 to 2012. Beterbiev is strong, I don't think Ward could out wrestle him. Probably need to try to put jab him. Bivol more beatable.

Thing with Ward, as good as he is, he'll just get dirtier in order to win a fight. Either he's a narcissist who doesn't think the rules belong to him, or he is afraid of losing and knows he needs to be dirty.
Ward is a modern-day Bernard Hopkins: fundamentally perfect, cerebral and versatile, not overly athletic or flashy, willing to use all the tricks to get the job done (inclusing deadbutts, elbows and low blows). Some people hate him for it but I don't really mind.

I agree he wouldn't outwrestle Beterbiev (since no one outwrestles Beterbiev) but let's not forget Ward is one of the most physically strong boxers himself so he wouldn't get bullied either. He'd try to fight Beterbiev like he fought Abraham by keeping him at the end of his jab and fight Bivol like he fought Froch by roughing him up on the inside.

I think he'd probably whittle Bivol down and beat him, but vs Biev there's very little chance in my opinion. He'd have to make it an ugly fight just to keep Biev off him, like he did vs Kessler, and if you watch Biev vs Browne that only makes Biev angry.

Ward UD vs Bivol, Biev KO vs Ward.

I think he'd probably whittle Bivol down and beat him, but vs Biev there's very little chance in my opinion. He'd have to make it an ugly fight just to keep Biev off him, like he did vs Kessler, and if you watch Biev vs Browne that only makes Biev angry.

Ward UD vs Bivol, Biev KO vs Ward.
For sure. He definitely had the skill and smarts to beat Bivol, but I would think that Beterbiev would be too physicaly strong.

I'll bump this thread after the Beterbiev vs Bivol fight since the way the fight plays out will shed some light on fantasy matchups. Whether Bivol outboxes Beterbiev or gets knocked the fuck out will tell us how Ward would fare against both.

I would have loved to watch Beterbiev beat the fuck out of Ward.

Horrible, ugly, stinky, dirty fighter.

And this is coming from a Hopkins fan, but I can't stand Ward.

Uh, you kinda lost me there.

Why? Hopkins bent the rules - as did Floyd - but there was an artistry to it. It was smooth and sneaky and part of an overall interesting style. Same with Holyfield actually.

Ward? He was boring, ugly, and the cheating went beyond sneaky little headbutts and elbows and tactical clinches, it was just blatant cheating.

he coudn't beat kovalev, beterbiev would pummel him.

Ward loses to both. He wins every fantasy fight but made a career of “tune ups” and the Kovalev name. The first of which he clearly lost and then second was with questionable tactics

Personally I think Beterbiev smashes Ward, forces him into a brutal dogfight when ward wants to be slick and crafty/ dirty... Beterbiev most likely KOs Ward in late rounds but it's an interesting fight on paper would love to see it

Why? Hopkins bent the rules - as did Floyd - but there was an artistry to it. It was smooth and sneaky and part of an overall interesting style. Same with Holyfield actually.

Ward? He was boring, ugly, and the cheating went beyond sneaky little headbutts and elbows and tactical clinches, it was just blatant cheating.
I really liked Hopkins too.
Never cared for Ward.

@Seano might be the opposite on this one.

He could possibly beat both. Bivol slightly more chance but no way he gets through both without losing.
Another he would be an underdog against would’ve been Gvodsyk. Pre Beterbiev.

Ward jumped out the game for a reason. LHW was too hot get through unscathed and I don’t mean just his record.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RBG
Back