Cote is a good example of what's wrong about low fighter pay

mmmjojo

Tapped in 1.3 secs
@Brown
Reaction score
Guys like Cote, Lauzon, and Brown should be taken care of well by the UFC. Yes they may not ever win a title but you know they bring excitement to all their fights. And that's what is gonna upset me because I'm sure Cote has some bs 30-30 deal. The post fight bonus will help but guys like him should get 75-85 guaranteed (no win bonus) for the fun fights they put up.

Guys like Cote, Lauzon, and Brown should be taken care of well by the UFC. Yes they may not ever win a title but you know they bring excitement to all their fights. And that's what is gonna upset me because I'm sure Cote has some bs 30-30 deal. The post fight bonus will help but guys like him should get 75-85 guaranteed (no win bonus) for the fun fights they put up.

do you know that dana is the president of the ufc right

ur in a dream land

I'm sure Dana is going to head back to the dressing room soon with a HUGE bag of cash, and Cote will get a big chunk of that.

But I agree with you. The guaranteed pay should be higher for him.

the fuck are you talking about? Cote makes what he deserves. He has lost all the top contender fights he's had, as well as the chance to step up in terms of rankings and pay. This is his what, 3rd run in the UFC I believe? Aslong as he fights a minimum of twice a year, and loses, he's still making 66k even if he loses (hes getting 33/33 according to UFC 178 payouts) and has the potential to make 132k a year if he fights twice and wins, like he did in 2015.

Considering he has been cut from the UFC twice due to losses, it's impressive enough he's even made it back. And considering the level of competition he regularly faces, he's making very good pay

also, what type of terrible business plan allows the UFC to pay "Exciting fighters" a guaranteed 75/85k" after each fight, regardless of whether or not they won, or if it was "exciting". Huh? What is his incentive to win if he gets paid the same anyways. Unless he is either a HUGE draw (which he's not) or top contender (which, once again, he isn't anymore), he doesn't deserve that kind of deal. Usually the only people who get paid in flat amounts are guys like Lesnar, Overeem, Silva (which in retrospect may have been a bit more than he was worth) because they mostly headline PPV's and get a % of buys.

Last edited:
Doesn't Cote do a lot of media stuff for the UFC in Canada? I think he commentates in French? If so, I would think he makes good money from that as well.

Lol at a guy not even in the top 25 deserving 200-300 k a year.

Mma fans are too sentimental to understand business

So you don't know how much money Cote made tonight, but you are complaining about the amount?

I'd love to see all fighters make more than they do. Outside of big stars, I doubt we see more than incremental gains.

....This was a great fight.

Cote's last bunch of fights have not been. Quite a few duds in fact.

you don't even know how much he makes and you're complaining?

the fuck are you talking about? Cote makes what he deserves. He has lost all the top contender fights he's had, as well as the chance to step up in terms of rankings and pay. This is his what, 3rd run in the UFC I believe? Aslong as he fights a minimum of twice a year, and loses, he's still making 66k even if he loses (hes getting 33/33 according to UFC 178 payouts) and has the potential to make 132k a year if he fights twice and wins, like he did in 2015.

Considering he has been cut from the UFC twice due to losses, it's impressive enough he's even made it back. And considering the level of competition he regularly faces, he's making very good pay

also, what type of terrible business plan allows the UFC to pay "Exciting fighters" a guaranteed 75/85k" after each fight, regardless of whether or not they won, or if it was "exciting". Huh? What is his incentive to win if he gets paid the same anyways. Unless he is either a HUGE draw (which he's not) or top contender (which, once again, he isn't anymore), he doesn't deserve that kind of deal. Usually the only people who get paid in flat amounts are guys like Lesnar, Overeem, Silva (which in retrospect may have been a bit more than he was worth) because they mostly headline PPV's and get a % of buys.

Maybe if they cut all the dead weight they carry around, the UFC would have more money. Like stop signing half the casts of every TUF

Maybe if they cut all the dead weight they carry around, the UFC would have more money. Like stop signing half the casts of every TUF

maybe they should have cut cote after he lost 3 in a row back in 2010 and had a ufc record of 3-7. That would have freed up tons of cash for those poor poor fighters.

Edit: oh wait they did

Well they should have told him to stay out!

So you think a guy fighting in the UFC that is relatively well known should be making around $66k a year? I think Chris Leben was making somewhere around $80k per fight and he isnt any better than Cote is

So you think a guy fighting in the UFC that is relatively well known should be making around $66k a year? I think Chris Leben was making somewhere around $80k per fight and he isnt any better than Cote is

Before Anderson Silva came over to the UFC Leben was one of the top guys in the MW division. I'm not saying that justifies Cote not earning a decent salary, just mentioning an interesting fact.

Before Anderson Silva came over to the UFC Leben was one of the top guys in the MW division. I'm not saying that justifies Cote not earning a decent salary, just mentioning an interesting fact.

Yeah he looked awful against Tito and Anderson Silva too.

1 non-main event fight night bout, not in the top 10

$62,000 in salary
$50,000 in bonus
$15,000 in sponsor

Yeah, poor guy....

As someone pointed out -- Cote doesn't just get paid to fight.

He has been working French commentary for the UFC for at least 7-8 years. That includes when he was cut. When they brought him in to fight Cung, he had said he had never really left the company.

So he gets paid to commentate. He also made at least 70k to beat Burkman + he probably will get $50k bonus

Yeah, Cote did okay for a mid-range fighter.

Probably looking at a backroom bonus too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back