Costa will be the first 1:1 height: reach CHAMPION in history

Hmm...

I think black men on average have longer limbs than white men, but for the latter, i'm fairly certain the average is pretty much 1:1.

Personally i'm 183cm tall and have a reach of 184cm btw.

Just look at the fighters. They're of all ethnicity and the wingspan is usually inch or two longer than height.

I don't think they can be all that different from general population.

Internet search gave me data about Malaysian students.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/58_tbl1_281526311

Seems like in females ratio is almost 1:1 , while men have it about 102/100.

So 5'11''/180 guy would have around 6'0.5''/184 wingspan.

Just look at the fighters. They're of all ethnicity and the wingspan is usually inch or two longer than height.

I don't think they can be all that different from general population.

Internet search gave me data about Malaysian students.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/58_tbl1_281526311

Seems like in females ratio is almost 1:1 , while men have it about 102/100.

So 5'11''/180 guy would have around 6'0.5''/184 wingspan.
Oh, okay.

Well, but since reach is usually an advantage, it's also logical that there'll be naturally more fighters with a longer reach in MMA's top orgs.

A friend of mine is 175cm with 170cm reach.
Helps him at bench pressing though, lol.

Gastelum with an even shorter reach and probably 40lbs less fight night weight
screenshot_20200925-093757-jpg.801313

just so people know, tyson had a pretty short reach also...which should tell you, that reach doesn't matter. depends on your style.

if we're counting superfight champions then Ken Shamrock has to take the cake? about 6 feet tall and 64 inch if memory serves correctly

We'll never know for sure, lol.

I think his reach stats are fairly accurate though, his difference in reach is only 5cm from average for a regular man, so his arms shouldn't look comically short (especially for someone with thinner arms).
View attachment 801506
Looks legit to me.

What's always been funny to me is the fact that Stipe has the same reach as Izzy (and roughly the same height) yet his arms look much shorter.
Though in this case, Izzy is very slim, whereas Stipe is sturdy and more importantly:
Stipe's leg reach is the same as Jose Aldo's (seriously) so Stipe's upper body is so long, that his arms look short in comparison.
But because Stipe's ribcage is fairly wide, one doesn't realize how long his torso is and instead rather gets the impression that his arms are rather short!
Reyes is listed as 77" reach (with a 76" height) but I question the accuracy of that stat. He seems to have shorter arms relative to height than Costa.

dominick-reyes-ufc-fight-night-112-weigh-ins.jpg

Stipe has really short arms too so I don't think there is any way he has an 80" reach, even with a broad back.

If Costa and Reyes win, then all of the UFC male champions would be short-armed with the exception of Kamaru and Volkanovski.

Always wondered if those stats are worth shit (insert Carwin).

I mean, Holloway has pretty long arms, and his shoulders aren't really all that narrow, dunno what's up with his reach.

I remember that around 2006-2008 GSP's height and reach were raising along with his ranking, lol.

Arm length vs chest width. You can have long arms and a small chest, or the opposite and have the same reach.

HBO used to do arm reach from end of fist to end of shoulder/armpit.

Here is mayweather vs judah

tumblr_mmvk81tD1m1qbfejao1_1280.gif

Both have the same if going by wingspan at 72 in.

James Toney who is billed as being about 5'9 with a 72 inch wingspan actually has a 26.5 inch arm reach. When he fought John Ruiz for the title, he had a 6 inch wingspan disadvantage, but had a 3.5 arm length advantage.

I think Max and Costa both fall into this category. I disagree that max doesn't have narrow shoulders/chest.

Arm length vs chest width. You can have long arms and a small chest, or the opposite and have the same reach.

HBO used to do arm reach from end of fist to end of shoulder/armpit.

Here is mayweather vs judah

tumblr_mmvk81tD1m1qbfejao1_1280.gif

Both have the same if going by wingspan at 72 in.

James Toney who is billed as being about 5'9 with a 72 inch wingspan actually has a 26.5 inch arm reach. When he fought John Ruiz for the title, he had a 6 inch wingspan disadvantage, but had a 3.5 arm length advantage.

I think Max and Costa both fall into this category. I disagree that max doesn't have narrow shoulders/chest.
I think for the sake of forum arguments, they should always list both wingspan AND arm length separately.

Reyes is listed as 77" reach (with a 76" height) but I question the accuracy of that stat. He seems to have shorter arms relative to height than Costa.
I must disagree with you here, it's just that we're used to see fighters having quite abit more reach than height!
Regular people start looking disproportionate in that regard, when watching lots of MMA (at least that was the case for me, lol).
Plus Reyes has quite thick arms and more importantly, an extremely long torso!
Reyes_proportions.png
This was from Reyes' recent instagram story.
Now i don't know the other guys, but look at the leg length of the guys besides him; if the guy left of Reyes stood as squared as he did, he'd meet the line with his knee caps just like Reyes and the guy on the right does, but both guys are significantly shorter than Reyes.
Stipe has really short arms too so I don't think there is any way he has an 80" reach, even with a broad back.
EfPbT-mWoAEjZtk.jpg

Stipe's perceived arm length imo really suffers from the "Reyes syndrome" because i'd say Aldo's limbs are somewhat long, bot not absurdly long, yet Stipe's 23cm of height difference solely comes from his upper body! Add in the fact that Stipe's ribcage is wide and his head is quite big and you can see how those measurements are possible.

For the record, my father is 190cm tall and has a 200cm reach (Stipe is supposed to be 193cm to 200cm) and the proportions of my father look the exact same, no joke.
If Costa and Reyes win, then all of the UFC male champions would be short-armed with the exception of Kamaru and Volkanovski.
Crazy right?

It's funny, because a long reach is an advantage no doubt, yet there'd be many champions with a ~1:1 height-to-reach-ratio.

Khabib's reach of 178 cm would by the way be below the average of 181,25 cm amongst the top 15 a weightclass below:

(C) Volkanovski (182 cm) +4 cm
#1 Holloway (175 cm) -3 cm
#2 Brian Ortega (175 cm) -3 cm
#3 Magomedsharipov (185 cm) +7cm
#4 Korean Zombie (183 cm) +5 cm
#5 Yair Rodriguez (180 cm) +2 cm
#6 Calvin Kattar (183 cm) + 5cm
#7 Josh Emmett (178 cm) equal
#8 Stephens (180 cm) +2 cm
#9 Arnold Allen (178 cm) equal
#10 Dan Ige (180cm) +2 cm
#11 Yusuff (180cm) +2 cm
#12 Ryan Hall (180 cm) +2 cm
#13 Shane Burgos (192 cm) +14 cm
#14 Edson Barboza (191 cm) +13 cm
#15 Bryce Mitchell (178 cm) equal

I must disagree with you here, it's just that we're used to see fighters having quite abit more reach than height!
Regular people start looking disproportionate in that regard, when watching lots of MMA (at least that was the case for me, lol).
Plus Reyes has quite thick arms and more importantly, an extremely long torso!
View attachment 801532

It's funny, because a long reach is an advantage no doubt, yet there'd be many champions with a ~1:1 height-to-reach-ratio.

Khabib's reach of 178 cm would by the way be below the average of 181,25 cm amongst the top 15 a weightclass below:

(C) Volkanovski (182 cm) +4 cm
#1 Holloway (175 cm) -3 cm
#2 Brian Ortega (175 cm) -3 cm
#3 Magomedsharipov (185 cm) +7cm
#4 Korean Zombie (183 cm) +5 cm
#5 Yair Rodriguez (180 cm) +2 cm
#6 Calvin Kattar (183 cm) + 5cm
#7 Josh Emmett (178 cm) equal
#8 Stephens (180 cm) +2 cm
#9 Arnold Allen (178 cm) equal
#10 Dan Ige (180cm) +2 cm
#11 Yusuff (180cm) +2 cm
#12 Ryan Hall (180 cm) +2 cm
#13 Shane Burgos (192 cm) +14 cm
#14 Edson Barboza (191 cm) +13 cm
#15 Bryce Mitchell (178 cm) equal
Damn Burgos and Edson have long ass monkey arms <Eek2.0>

Even with that long ass reach Barboza still got smeshed by Khabib :D

5'10 70 reach LW GOAT :cool:

Longest reach at LW belongs to Kevin Lee and he got beat short ass Al lol

Khabib Bless

618809-29f18f5a26ab8949f4357f14fcf4a2cd.png

Damn Burgos and Edson have long ass monkey arms <Eek2.0>

Even with that long ass reach Barboza still got smeshed by Khabib :D

5'10 70 reach LW GOAT :cool:

Longest reach at LW belongs to Kevin Lee and he got beat short ass Al lol

Khabib Bless

View attachment 801560
Yeah, it's crazy that Khabib's short reach has never realldy hindered him - McGregor has a very long reach too btw.

Yeah, it's crazy that Khabib's short reach has never realldy hindered him - McGregor has a very long reach too btw.
Khabib stats.jpg

Here are some that's of the LW division. Khabib is taken as the base mark. He has NO reach advantage over anybody in the top 15 lol

And below is one of LW and WW with again Khabib as base. No advantages in reach and only ties former LW and again soon to be LW RDA

Khabib LW + WW 02-2-1.jpg

Credit goes to our fallen Brother @TheChosenOne for these spreadsheets with these stats.

WAR @TheChosenOne !!!

Khabib Bless

618809-29f18f5a26ab8949f4357f14fcf4a2cd.png

dominick-reyes-ufc-fight-night-112-weigh-ins.jpg

Stipe's arms aren't short. They just look short because his torso is huge. He has the same torso length as 7' Stefan Struve.

Costa's reach is shorter than his height, btw.

His reach is 72 inches which is 183cm, whereas his height is 6'1" which is 185cm.
Using american means to compare isnt the best way. Im 186 cm and ive met Costa in person. No way he is smaller than me. As he was 4 times stronger, it may have made me think he was bigger

Back