Costa will be the first 1:1 height: reach CHAMPION in history

superpunch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Everyone else -- Jones, GSP, even Hughes -- has had a larger reach than their height. He's not quite as bad as Artem but he does have T-Rex arms at 6'. When he wins the title, he will set a new achievement record.

Best argument to bet on Izzy I've heard yet.
Gastelum with an even shorter reach and probably 40lbs less fight night weight
screenshot_20200925-093757-jpg.801313

Khabib Nurmagomedov?
BJ Penn?
Henry Cejudo?
Petr Yan?
Daniel Cormier?
Rose Namajunas?

Holloway? (shorter reach than height)
Garbrandt? (shorter reach than height)
Dillashaw? (shorter reach than height)
Jedrzejczyk? (shorter reach than height)
Zhang? (shorter reach than height)

Last edited:
Everyone else -- Jones, GSP, even Hughes -- has had a larger reach than their height. He's not quite as bad as Artem but he does have T-Rex arms at 6'. When he wins the title, he will set a new achievement record.
Costa's reach is shorter than his height, btw.

His reach is 72 inches which is 183cm, whereas his height is 6'1" which is 185cm.

Gastelum with an even shorter reach and probably 40lbs less fight night weight
screenshot_20200925-093757-jpg.801313

Gastelum is faster than Costa and has good boxing.
Maybe that's why!
Also, since that fight, Adesanya didn't risk much.

Khabib Nurmagomedov?
BJ Penn?
Henry Cejudo?
Daniel Cormier?
Rose Namajunas?

Add Petr Yan to that list

TS showing incredible lack of knowledge for someone with 18.000+ posts

Add Petr Yan to that list

TS showing incredible lack of knowledge for someone with 18.000+ posts
Yeah, i'd expect people to at least know ir with Penn, DC and Beeb!

Added Yan btw.

Dillashaw is another one whose reach is shorter than his height too, although the difference is only 1cm.

Hughes didn't have long arms from memory. Neither did Serra

Khabib Nurmagomedov?
BJ Penn?
Henry Cejudo?
Petr Yan?
Daniel Cormier?
Rose Namajunas?

Dillashaw? (shorter reach than height)

Always wondered if those stats are worth shit (insert Carwin).

I mean, Holloway has pretty long arms, and his shoulders aren't really all that narrow, dunno what's up with his reach.

I remember that around 2006-2008 GSP's height and reach were raising along with his ranking, lol.

Always wondered if those stats are worth shit (insert Carwin).

I mean, Holloway has pretty long arms, and his shoulders aren't really all that narrow, dunno what's up with his reach.

I remember that around 2006-2008 GSP's height and reach were raising along with his ranking, lol.
We'll never know for sure, lol.

I think his reach stats are fairly accurate though, his difference in reach is only 5cm from average for a regular man, so his arms shouldn't look comically short (especially for someone with thinner arms).
holloway_max_-1040x572.jpg
Looks legit to me.

What's always been funny to me is the fact that Stipe has the same reach as Izzy (and roughly the same height) yet his arms look much shorter.
Though in this case, Izzy is very slim, whereas Stipe is sturdy and more importantly:
Stipe's leg reach is the same as Jose Aldo's (seriously) so Stipe's upper body is so long, that his arms look short in comparison.
But because Stipe's ribcage is fairly wide, one doesn't realize how long his torso is and instead rather gets the impression that his arms are rather short!

We'll never know for sure, lol.

I think his reach stats are fairly accurate though, his difference in reach is only 5cm from average for a regular man, so his arms shouldn't look comically

Dunno if anybody did some research as in, measured height to wingspan ratio among say, 1000 men.

But it seems to me that average man actually has wingspan slightly longer than his height, Leonardo Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man being slightly inaccurate in this regard.

Something like 90% of fighters have reach like that, the sample is large (hundreds and hundreds of fighters going trough UFC alone).

Back