• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Costa agreed he hasn't been the same since Adesanya KO?

shredman

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I was listening to a recent episode of Morning Kombat and they said that Costa conceded that Rogan and DC were right when they criticized him on the broadcast that he no longer fights in the same marauding way he used to since the Adesanya KO and that his confidence may have been affected by that KO. Does anyone have a link to where he said this? I would love to hear what exactly he said.

I watched some solo video Costa made and it seemed more like he agreed that Rogan and DC were saying that he didn't go forward blablalba in that particular fight Not that he agreed with what u said

would have to rewatch the costa vid tho

I imagine it would be pretty hard to come back after this.
Video: Adesanya humps Costa like a dog, mocks corner at UFC 253 -  MMAmania.com

I agree for the most part but truly thought i saw him bounce back vs Whittaker. He looked so fast and technical and aggressive. Whittaker is just better at everything but I was pretty pumped on Costa's performance there. He certainly doesn't look like a fighter who's lost 4 of 5. Guess he's just more of a top 5 gatekeeper talent wise than he is anything else.

I agree for the most part but truly thought i saw him bounce back vs Whittaker. He looked so fast and technical and aggressive. Whittaker is just better at everything but I was pretty pumped on Costa's performance there. He certainly doesn't look like a fighter who's lost 4 of 5. Guess he's just more of a top 5 gatekeeper talent wise than he is anything else.

nah he should've KO'd Whittaker. Whittaker is way slower than he was and is slower than Yoel was back when Costa beat him. Costa's timing was all off in the Whittaker fight too. after that spinning kick that nearly KO'd Whittaker everything else was off by miliseconds. he constantly whiffed his check left hook when before the Adesanya fight that was his money punch.

i do agree he looked better than he ever has since the Adesanya fight, but he still didn't look like the Costa before the Adesanya fight.

Disagree

It's just that Sean, Rob and even Vettori are better fighters than Hall, old fat Hendricks, and two guys who were cut by UFC.
There are Costa's wins in UFC.
That's it!

Oh, and we have Yoel.
A very close fight and, stylistically speaking, Yoel is a good fight for Costa because he is not much of a technical fighter.

Probably Costa beats Cannonier also, due to their fighting style.
But put him against Caio or Michel Pereira and they will beat him.

PS: Costa vs Chris Curtis would be a banger.

Tbh he was a bit overrated even before the Adesanya fight. He was gonna get finished by someone eventually if not by Adesanya imo

He went from "He's going to take Adesanya's belt" to "What are his skills again?"

Costa really got exposed by Strickland last weekend. I am not sure if he deserves a ranking after that beatdown.

nah he should've KO'd Whittaker. Whittaker is way slower than he was and is slower than Yoel was back when Costa beat him. Costa's timing was all off in the Whittaker fight too. after that spinning kick that nearly KO'd Whittaker everything else was off by miliseconds. he constantly whiffed his check left hook when before the Adesanya fight that was his money punch.

i do agree he looked better than he ever has since the Adesanya fight, but he still didn't look like the Costa before the Adesanya fight.
Nearly KO'd is pretty generous. He wobbled a bit and did a stutter step, but he was back to throwing pretty much immediately. Almost KO'd is reserved for shots like Ellenberger's overhand on Condit.

I think he just got figured out, also got dropped by izzy so he's now scared if that happening he cant just charge like before.
One thing is for sure he got exposed badly in that fight it was too much if a domination, in the same way izzy got exposed against strickland.
Mentally its very hard to come back from that unless they re invent themselves

Costa really got exposed by Strickland last weekend. I am not sure if he deserves a ranking after that beatdown.

Lol at Costa been exposed when we have seen him get beaten up left and right for the last 4 years. It's not as if Strickland had beaten an undefeated Costa.

Sean and Rob are better fighters. There may be some hesitation but Costa isn’t beating those dudes probably ever. He’s pretty limited and those guys and Izzy were able to take advantage of it. More aggression wouldn’t win him those fights and that’s fine because all 3 are former champs and the elite of the division.

He gets a reputation for being a power striker for nothing other than his physique. He hasn’t finished literally anyone good and doesn’t hold a win over anyone even on the roster anymore. He’s ranked 8 right now and that’s about right. I’m not saying he’s bad but the notion that he’s some scary KO artist is wrong.

Sean and Rob are better fighters. There may be some hesitation but Costa isn’t beating those dudes probably ever. He’s pretty limited and those guys and Izzy were able to take advantage of it. More aggression wouldn’t win him those fights and that’s fine because all 3 are former champs and the elite of the division.

He gets a reputation for being a power striker for nothing other than his physique. He hasn’t finished literally anyone good and doesn’t hold a win over anyone even on the roster anymore. He’s ranked 8 right now and that’s about right. I’m not saying he’s bad but the notion that he’s some scary KO artist is wrong.
Except Sean Strickland is not elite but just better then Costa who is way past his prime

Except Sean Strickland is not elite but just better then Costa who is way past his prime
Sean could and should be champion right now. Even if you think Dricus won, to be able to do that to Izzy and go toe to toe with the champ plus the rest of his record to me says he’s an elite, championship level fighter. He’s top 3 for sure.

Costa is not past his prime, he’s just not as good as fans thought. Not shitting on the guy either but the notion he is some top 5 guy who could win a belt is wrong. He’s ranked 8 now and that’s about right.

Back