International Coronavirus Breaking News, v13: Over 21,000 Healthcare Workers From Around The U.S Heading To N.Y

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have more information on Trump bringing back former military for the Virus response? It sounds good to the ears, but who exactly is he bringing back and is he forcing people to come back?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...irus-response/

"The president did not clarify whether anyone will be involuntarily recalled to duty but said some veterans have “offered to support the nation in this extraordinary time of need.”

I seriously think we are preparing for some type of war.

some good news
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/scouse-nan-99-beats-coronavirus-18037844
0_marmal-aid-a-99-500139.jpg

giphy.gif

:meow::meow::meow::meow:

I just wanted to raise a glass to @Gomi1977 , @Sano and @Wadtucket, when he's not shitposting;), for all of their insightful contributions and number crunching in this thread. Most of which is way over my head but is wonderful to read and learn from. Cheers gentlemen!!

<GinJuice>
I'll drink to that my friend! Slainte mhath!

Does anyone have more information on Trump bringing back former military for the Virus response? It sounds good to the ears, but who exactly is he bringing back and is he forcing people to come back?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...irus-response/

"The president did not clarify whether anyone will be involuntarily recalled to duty but said some veterans have “offered to support the nation in this extraordinary time of need.”

I seriously think we are preparing for some type of war.

I wouldn’t be surprise if this is another one of his ideas/wishful thinking that he never mentioned to military brass.

Because we're testing, it seems, as little people as possible. Less than 80K to date (since Feb. 27th). And it's still really difficult to get tested here, you need to have symptoms beyond of what your general practicioner would handle. That's what makes it so weird.
Another thing to consider is that it's pretty difficult to collect good samples to test. For respiratory illnesses you usually want some sputum collected from a deep cough, because that will give you a lot of virus in your sample. It's harder to collect this one since most people will have a lack of material from the mines of Moria due to dry coughing, so you have to go digging deep into their nostrils. Most people don't take kindly to getting sticks shoved up halfway to their brains and will start clawing and punching the poor person taking the sample. If you don't dig deep enough, you might not get a good enough sample.

Spain reporting 850 deaths today, I think that will be the last tally. Not great, but better than the last few days. Italy does seem to have turned the corner this time. 766 deaths today.

Ahhh ffs.

Because we're testing, it seems, as little people as possible. Less than 80K to date (since Feb. 27th). And it's still really difficult to get tested here, you need to have symptoms beyond of what your general practicioner would handle. That's what makes it so weird.
I'd say the selectivity is actually pumping that number up to 20%. Remember that most people with overlapping symptoms will probably not have COVID-19, based on its prevalence relative to those conditions. Though that may not be true for much longer.

Sadly ICUs being overwhelmed happens far earlier than any substantial fraction of the population contracting the virus.

I wonder if we'll break 6000 today.
Hard to say. Yesterdays numbers were inflated because of the giant lag from France. I think we'll reach about the same as yesterday today, so around 5800. But it might. Last few days worldometer hasn't been reporting the late day update from NY which means they've been a 100-200 short.

I always love to hear these stories. My Grandmother is 98 and still lives on her own and right now she is obviously very isolated. She does have a helper that comes in 3 days a week though and I fear that may be enough to possibly infect her. She is tough as nails and is the most gentle soul I have had the privilege of knowing. Seeing stories like these give me hope for her.

Yes, I understand that, I'm sorry, I'll try to be more clear, maybe this is just a lingo-issue.
If a body meets a new virus, for that body, but that body does not get sick, does that mean that body's immune system is better equipped to deal with that virus, i.e., does that person still get infected, but the immune system is so quick to generate the appropriate antibodies that the body does not get sick, and is that what some people mean when they say immune, while others call it asymptomatic?
I'm learning new jargon in two languages at the same time, I'm getting dizzy. ;)
Asymptomatic means that you're infected with the virus but you don't have symptoms.

Immune means that you can not get infected with the virus.

I always love to hear these stories. My Grandmother is 98 and still lives on her own and right now she is obviously very isolated. She does have a helper that comes in 3 days a week though and I fear that may be enough to possibly infect her. She is tough as nails and is the most gentle soul I have had the privilege of knowing. Seeing stories like these give me hope for her.
my grandad is in his 80s and not in good health, i'm shitting bricks

Ok people, it has already been proven that COVID-19 is an airborne virus (coughing and sneezing -- air droplets). Like the cold and the flu virus.

. How COVID-19 Spreads
Link: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-covid-spreads.html

. Everyone Thinks They’re Right About Masks
Link: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...us-pandemic-airborne-go-outside-masks/609235/

. The new coronavirus can likely remain airborne for some time. That doesn’t mean we’re doomed
Link: https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/16/coronavirus-can-become-aerosol-doesnt-mean-doomed/

. Just breathing or talking may be enough to spread COVID-19 after all
Link: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid-19-breathing-talking-enough-spread-airborne

COVID-19 is 'airborne' qualified and can stay in the air for a limited amount of time. Like the Army's 82nd Airborne Division - All American:
82nd-airborne-division-ocp-patch-scorpion-15108.jpg

@Gomi1977

Some news out of Italy, according to worldometer (haven't checked the primary sources).

• Italy: the real number of COVID-19 cases in the country could be 5,000,0000 (compared to the 119,827 confirmed ones) according to a study which polled people with symptoms who have not been tested, and up to 10,000,000 or even 20,0000,000 after taking into account asymptomatic cases, according to Carlo La Vecchia, a Professor of Medical Statistics and Epidemiology at the Statale di Milano University.

• This number would still be insufficient to reach herd immunity, which would require 2/3 of the population (about 40,000,000 people in Italy) having contracted the virus [source].

• The number of deaths could also be underestimated by 3/4 (in Italy as well as in other countries) [source], meaning that the real number of deaths in Italy could be around 60,000.

• If these estimates were true, the mortality rate from COVID-19 would be much lower (around 25 times less) than the case fatality rate based solely on laboratory-confirmed cases and deaths, since it would be underestimating cases (the denominator) by a factor of about 1/100 and deaths by a factor of 1/4.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

Again, it's estimations (dare I say guesswork), but this speaks to your theory. So, many more infected than cases, of course we already knew that but the magnitude seems higher. Although Italy did have it very bad, very early, so not entirely comparable with all other countries. This would mean a lower IFR, but we've already been over this and we knew it would be much lower than the 10% CFR. However, there could be up to 75% more deaths than officially reported in some places, which would be devastating. I'm guessing most of those are old people in their homes. We don't know yet though, and it might be difficult to get accurate diagnosing. Either way, fingers crossed for a shorter peak...

Brazil is pretty fucked up. Damn.

Not only they are about 1K new cases daily but apparently some cementery workers were interviewed and say that the amounts of deaths is way bigger. In that particular case they went from 30 graves per day to 60.
In the meantime Bolsonaro keeps lobbying against social distancing and quarantines.
Brazil has a population over 200 millions and there are really highly densed areas where this virus can do a lot of damage.

In the meanwhile Argentinian government was doing everything pretty well but today they fucked up. Central Bank ordered banks to open today so old and poor people can cash their pensions. Guess what happened?

They had to backpedal a little bit and banks will be open during this weekend, monday and tuesday. They established some criteria (I think it has to do with ID number) to divide people in different groups so each one has its own day.

The outrage from media and even from the president has been pretty harsh.
O3B6T2AMBVEPHCDR472QNYHDNQ.jpg

AMAJMXYJ25HFPIKNJIZZMBRQKQ.jpg

They are talking about gradually lifting quarantine after april 12 (that would make 4 weeks of full quarantine).
That giant fucktard Bolsonaro better wise up if he doesn't want to end his days inside a burning rubber tire.

If you present with fever, cough, and similar symptoms, your instructions would probably be to quarantine at home regardless of test results. Most places I know of put restrictions on symptoms rather than test results. For example, if you work in a hospital in NYC, you are allowed back 72 hours after your last fever. You don't have to test negative to go back to work. Also, you don't have to test positive to be pulled off your shifts. So you wouldn't necessarily see much higher rates of infections due to false negative tests.

The apex is region-specific. Maybe you're right about that in the Netherlands, seems to follow the timeline of when nearby spots with similar measures hit their peak.
Yes, you are right, that is the case here as well, but only since the start of week 12 (March 16), while the outbreak started February 27th, officially at least. None of the social distancing measures went into effect before March 16th in The Netherlands. Which is why I would expect a higher positive on the tests, since the guidelines for testing are so strict; you're symptoms have to be really quite severe before you qualify, beyond of what your regular GP would handle, so a hospital visit would be needed with that level of symptoms, and contact with a confirmed infected person. That's the cut off.
We're also having quite a bad flu season over here. We're on week 18 I think with counts of still over double the epidemic-threshold. That could explain why they were tested, but it doesn't explain why so many tested negative, even though they were in contact with a confirmed case, especially since the unmitigated R0 is I think between 2,4 and 3,2, but at least >2.
Now, this brings me back to my original question of immunity. My hypothesis, based on the R0, the number of hospitalisations, ICU-admittances, and fatalities, and their expected values by the different orgs (WHO, CDC, RIVM), is that this virus raged through the population at record speed (we all but know the first three cases were super spreaders, since they went out, with symptons, celebrating carnaval for up to three alcohol-soaked nights; and during the track & trace period the RIVM did (about a week, the idiots) we see the figure doubling daily), but a lot, a very large majority of the population is either immune or asymptomatic. That would explain a lot of the numbers we've seen. And, again, since the measures in The Netherlands only went into effect on March 16th, the virus was able to spread, doubling daily, unmittigated, between ~February 23rd and March 16th. If we take an R0=2, with the inital number of three, you end up with about 3 million "infected" (i.e., came into contact with) on March 18th (way before the assumed incubtion period, so it probably grew with an R0=2 of 48 hours, giving us an even higer number of infected).
Again, I'm just trying to make sense of the numbers, and so far, all the faults I've tried to find in this high number, have been dismissed. I'm getting, VERY cautiously, optimistic.
iazari_wk13_19_20_website.jpg

@Gomi1977

Some news out of Italy, according to worldometer (haven't checked the primary sources).

• Italy: the real number of COVID-19 cases in the country could be 5,000,0000 (compared to the 119,827 confirmed ones) according to a study which polled people with symptoms who have not been tested, and up to 10,000,000 or even 20,0000,000 after taking into account asymptomatic cases, according to Carlo La Vecchia, a Professor of Medical Statistics and Epidemiology at the Statale di Milano University.

• This number would still be insufficient to reach herd immunity, which would require 2/3 of the population (about 40,000,000 people in Italy) having contracted the virus [source].

• The number of deaths could also be underestimated by 3/4 (in Italy as well as in other countries) [source], meaning that the real number of deaths in Italy could be around 60,000.

• If these estimates were true, the mortality rate from COVID-19 would be much lower (around 25 times less) than the case fatality rate based solely on laboratory-confirmed cases and deaths, since it would be underestimating cases (the denominator) by a factor of about 1/100 and deaths by a factor of 1/4.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

Again, it's estimations (dare I say guesswork), but this speaks to your theory. So, many more infected than cases, of course we already knew that but the magnitude seems higher. Although Italy did have it very bad, very early, so not entirely comparable with all other countries. This would mean a lower IFR, but we've already been over this and we knew it would be much lower than the 10% CFR. However, there could be up to 75% more deaths than officially reported in some places, which would be devastating. I'm guessing most of those are old people in their homes. We don't know yet though, and it might be difficult to get accurate diagnosing. Either way, fingers crossed for a shorter peak...
Damn, those numbers match too closely with mine; I'm at roughly 50-60 times the number of confirmed infected as being the actual number. Matches up real nicely!
As far as deaths, yes, I agree, but we should be able to make sense of those numbers, once we get through both the flu-epidemic, and the COVID-19-pandemic. Once the dust settles, and the numbers get tallied, we should be able to compare; we can for instance use the outcome of the respiratory test stats to compare COVID-19 vs. Influenza, with the base year being the one most likely comparable as far as Influenza goes, which we should be able to calculate based on the respiratory test stats. Or was that a circle I just made?
Anyway, that way we should be able to determine/ guesstimate the number of people that died of influenza, and the number of COVID-19-fatalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back