Corn on the Cob

I'm too lazy for it now, but back in the day, the grill was the only way to go. If you're going to boil or steam it, you may as well just have frozen corn, and knock out all the hassle.

Pretty good shit off the grill though. Some crisp to it, and once you roll it in a stick of butter, you're all set.

Grew up in south Arkansas and live in northeast Arkansas now. We had a vegetable garden through elementary school where we grew okra, corn, squash, cucumbers, and green beans. There wasn't much better than garden fresh vegetables. Sometimes if the sweet corn was just right you could eat it raw off the cob and it was still good. My mom always cut the cobs in 3-4 inch chunks and boiled them in salty buttery water. Then we slathered it with butter and ate it off the cobs.

We have a few farmers markets around where you can get fresh sweet corn, and I cook it on the grill. I have smoked it before with some pork steaks. My family loved it, but I thought the smoke was a bit to severe in it. Texture and overall flavor were good, but the smoke was a little overpowering. I prefer to actually cut the kernels off the cob and mix them up with lots of butter and black pepper, but that's just because I don't like getting it stuck in my teeth.

Has anyone ever had it in the Mexican Elote style? If so, how did you rate it?

Elote (Nahuatl: ēlōtl [ˈeːloːt͡ɬ]), or corn on the cob is a popular street food in Mexico, although it is frequently served at home prepared in the same way (boiled or grilled in husk).[1] It is customarily consumed on a stick, or by grasping the husk of the cob that has been pulled down to form a "handle". Condiments such as salt, chili powder, butter, cheese, lemon juice or lime juice, mayonnaise, and sour cream (or crema) are usually added to the elote.

tumblr_llu7nsEALO1qkypy1o1_500.jpg

I like Mexican style grilled corn on the cob.

Grill it, brush on a layer of mayonnaise with some chili powder in it, add a squeeze of lime juice, and top it with some cojita cheese, parmesan also works well. It sounds weird but it's fucking delicious.

I grew up the suburbs of Chicago so we'd always have good corn from the Midwest. I just steam it in the microwave since I can't use a charcoal grill where I live right now. Quick, easy and comes out perfect every time. I've done boiling and grilling in a wet husk before but ever since learning the microwave option I see no reason to do it any other way really.

Wrap the ears in a paper towel and wet it. Microwave on high for 4 minutes per ear and then let it sit for several minutes before removing the paper towels and husks.

I usually just do butter and salt but will also sometimes smear them with BBQ sauce.

Not a huge fan of corn. But when on it's cob with appropriate condiments I think it's an adequate snack.

Ya'll some Amatuers
Mexican corn ftw
elote-mexican-corn.jpg

Eat ears of corn every summer and have since I was kid. Full shuck boiled buttered and salted. Live getting some good sweet corn from a roadside stand. I live just outside detroit lived here my whole life.

I like it microwaved dry in the husk. Not exactly traditional, but it seems sweeter that way.

We smoked it this weekend. It was awesome.

Back