Corn on the Cob

elmo_1968

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I grew up in farm country in Pennsylvania and summer meant eating corn on the cob, in those days usually bought from the farmer the same day it was picked. I live in Baltimore now and usually have to buy it at the supermarket, probably not as good but still good.

For those of you who live in different places, you cook the corn right on the ears and then put some butter and salt on it and gnaw the corn off of the cob. Sometimes old people would cut it off w/ a knife instead.

There are different ways to cook it, we usually husked it and boiled it, some people will leave the inner husk on and roast it on a grill.

How many sherdoggers think this is the best part of summer? How many have never done this? Please say where you're from.

take out of the husks and steam it. Add butter and salt. One of the best snack you can have. Your next shit will be one of the best you'll ever have too. Phoenix

take out of the husks and steam it. Add butter and salt. One of the best snack you can have. Your next shit will be one of the best you'll ever have too. Phoenix

Add pepper, too.

I fucks wit it.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

giphy.gif

It is commonly consumed in Minnesota as well. Not a favorite of mine though.

I live on the edge of the Bay Area and growing up there was nothing past us but hundreds of miles of farms until you got to Sacramento so we always had the best fruit and veggies
My moms friends grow sweet corn that it so frickin delicious you dont even have to cook it, just pick it and eat it cause its already perfect
I always buy a couple boxes of that shit every summer as soon as its ready

slathered in bbq sauce. bbq'd on the ear.

What part of pa? I grew up in Lawrence county, the people two houses down grew corn and sold it for like 2 bucks a dozen. Freakin awesome. I liked the white/yellow mixed kernel ones the best

What part of pa? I grew up in Lawrence county, the people two houses down grew corn and sold it for like 2 bucks a dozen. Freakin awesome. I liked the white/yellow mixed kernel ones the best

York County.

EDIT:
They made us memorize all 67 counties in 9th grade, I remember the western border and that's about it.

I live on the edge of the Bay Area and growing up there was nothing past us but hundreds of miles of farms until you got to Sacramento so we always had the best fruit and veggies
My moms friends grow sweet corn that it so frickin delicious you dont even have to cook it, just pick it and eat it cause its already perfect
I always buy a couple boxes of that shit every summer as soon as its ready
I've eaten it raw sometimes, it can be good.

I was told in most of Europe people don't eat corn but I haven't heard that in a long time.

gotcha, I was like right in the Ohio border.
Pa schools def. like making kids memorize stuff...
York County.

EDIT:
They made us memorize all 67 counties in 9th grade, I remember the western border and that's about it.

My baby son loves this shit, eats the corn and then throws the core back at me the little shit.

The Indian way to do it is to grill the corn over a stove and than add lime/salt on the corn. yummmmmmmmmmm salivating

Corn is an odd product. It's a vegetable if harvested before it is fully ripe but a grain after it fully ripens into hard kernels.

I ate a lot of it in my youth. Lately I buy frozen corn in the plastic bag and cook it in the bag in a microwave. Add butter and salt and it tastes just like it did on the cob. I don't know if there's much nutrition in it as it comes out looking almost the same as it does going in.

Corn is an odd product. It's a vegetable if harvested before it is fully ripe but a grain after it fully ripens into hard kernels.

I ate a lot of it in my youth. Lately I buy frozen corn in the plastic bag and cook it in the bag in a microwave. Add butter and salt and it tastes just like it did on the cob. I don't know if there's much nutrition in it as it comes out looking almost the same as it does going in.
The kind used for grain is a different strain than sweet corn, which is what we eat.

My wife and I picked some corn on her uncle's farm one time but misunderstood where he told us to go and got "pig corn"(ie the kind for grain). I made myself eat an ear, it was an effort. Tough, chewy and flavorless.

Corn has a lot of roughage, no doubt. If you like the frozen stuff just as well, you should stick to it but I taste a big difference.

The kind used for grain is a different strain than sweet corn, which is what we eat.

My wife and I picked some corn on her uncle's farm one time but misunderstood where he told us to go and got "pig corn"(ie the kind for grain). I made myself eat an ear, it was an effort. Tough, chewy and flavorless.

Corn has a lot of roughage, no doubt. If you like the frozen stuff just as well, you should stick to it but I taste a big difference.

Sweet corn will harden into grain if it's allowed to ripen. There are many different strains of corn. Even the field corn is edible if picked soon enough. Not as sweet but still edible.

Frozen corn is sweetcorn that is harvested, blanched, removed from the cob, bagged and frozen within hours of being picked.

I do enjoy corn, but I must admit that I cut it off with a knife now. I spent the better part of 30 years eating corn on the cob just to spend the following 30 minutes picking corn out of my teeth.

Never again I said. Never again.

Back