Cormier's strength feats at HW do not translate to LHW

Readybodisready

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I see this argument being used atleast once in every Cormier thread and it shows how foolish and silly most posters are.

At this current weight Cormier is not as strong as he was at HW. The dumbest possible thing a human being could say is that "Well uhm, he threw 265lb Barnett, how can he not throw around 205lb Jones? Hmmmm?". This is not the same guy that overpowered big heavyweights. He did not just cut fat to get to 205, he lost some muscle too. DC also has to follow a strict diet due to past issues with this weight, so he is most likely weakened by that as well.

He's still strong enough to man handle a much smaller 43 year old man, sure. But not against a primed, wide, 6'4 accomplished NCAA wrestler in Jones. A guy who is much, much better at defending takedowns, scrambling, getting back to his feet etc. than anybody else Cormier has faced so far.

Use your brains and learn about weight classes. Don't be so childish.

cormier still is quite fast, extremely strong, and in my opinion has better wrestling and clinchwork that jones

DC is a better wrestler at 205 than Jones is regardless. But this is MMA.

When he steps in the cage at LHW he's about 230lbs from what I see. There really isn't much difference. If he can close the distance on Jones he can ragdoll him like he has everyone else. Can he close the distance? Who knows...

You're thread is an over-simplistic pile of shite.

He's still fat, so why would he have shed muscle to get down to 205?

Anyway, Jones is 3x the wrestler that anyone Cormier has faced before.

His "strength" feats were not strength feats at all. They were displays of his high level wrestling.

A) DCs actually not that much lighter than when he fought at HW
B) A lot of his theowing guys around is technique which weight doesn't effect
C) Cormier has said he's probably stronger now because he been forced to diet/train differently
D) di you watch him wwe style body slam Hendo?
E) Jones will never ever be the wrestler DC is.

What enabled Cormier to toss around larger heavyweights was not just brute strength. It was superb technique. He didn't lose any of that technique going down in weight.

This kid has no idea what he's talking about LOL. Yah, DC lost such insane amount of muscle that he can't throw Jones. The ratio to weight and muscle loss is such a massive difference that you're talking about. You're basically saying DC lost all his muscle to the point where he can't throw Jones. It doesn't work that way buds. DC will still have enough muscle from his HW days to throw Jones. Especially after his weight cut when he is back up to 230.

When he steps in the cage at LHW he's about 230lbs from what I see. There really isn't much difference. If he can close the distance on Jones he can ragdoll him like he has everyone else. Can he close the distance? Who knows...

You're thread is an over-simplistic pile of shite.

My are thread is not over-simplistic. Your are post is a perfect example of the sillyness that I was adressing.
I would have liked it if you decided that when your are gonna make this post, it was the first one in the thread so that I could have gotten an immediate example to fully illustrate my point.

What enabled Cormier to toss around larger heavyweights was not just brute strength. It was superb technique. He didn't lose any of that technique going down in weight.

He's also stupidly strong.

didn't realise a guy loses technique when going down in weight.

thanks for clarifying that TS

I am pretty convinced if he gets hold of Jonathan, Jonathan is going for a ride no matter how accomplished a wrestler he may be.

And, Cormier must have been helped rather than hindered by losing that unnecessary fat he had at HW.

My are thread is not over-simplistic. Your are post is a perfect example of the sillyness that I was adressing.
I would have liked it if you decided that when your are gonna make this post, it was the first one in the thread so that I could have gotten an immediate example to fully illustrate my point.

Literally nobody in this thread agrees with you. Childish would be insisting you are right when you are obviously not correct. Now go pick up your rattle.

That's why we always see 235lb guys do this to 270lb guys:

temp-320-53005636.gif

It's just technique.

The first 5 inches he's lifting Josh off the floor, before the hips and upperbody twist come into play is not strength at all. We see smaller guys do this technical move to bigger guys all the time.

He still retains some of that strength that he had at HW.

Just because some loses weight or gets older doesn't mean they have a severe drop off in strength. This ain't UFC Undisputed career mode.

That's why we always see 235lb guys do this to 270lb guys:

temp-320-53005636.gif

It's just technique.

The first 5 inches he's lifting Josh off the floor, before the hips and upperbody twist come into play is not strength at all. We see smaller guys do this technical move to bigger guys all the time.

Now imagine what he's going to do to Jones :D

Idk if he'll be in a position to throw Jones, but he easily could strength wise. Really absurd to say an Olympic wrestler couldn't based on strength.

Well if it's not silly to think that one of the best wrestlers in the UFC automatically becomes a can if he sheds 15-20lbs and fights lighter guys than he was fighting before, then I guess I'm pretty silly.

Excellent reply by the way. You used some pretty solid facts there to prove I have no idea what I'm talking about haha

Also btw, I didn't say he would ragdoll Jones. I said he wouldn't have any trouble doing so if he was able to close the distance effectively. Nobody know if he can until fight night. It's MMA, not WWE.

Back