Cormier's one weakness

JudontknowMMA

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
It's not a technique flaw, it's innate. At 5'10", he's so thick at 230-240 that he can't control some of these guys when he has their back. He's got short thick arms and a donkey kong chest, which limits his back control ability and greatly reduces his ability to RNC. What I was glad to see, was that he adjusted his technique and switched it from a control game that he nearly lost a couple extra times, into a GNP battle. He's gonna have to master the GNP and that will be his ufc bread n butter. War Cormier

Last edited:
I'm not sure what I just read.

He's short and thick, so he can't do RNC's. Why not? And also, when has he had to?

Cain's the best fighter in the world. No RNC's. JDS was the champ. Didn't see him RNCing guys. Brock never RNC'd anyone. Neither did Randy during his prime. Or Sylvia. Or Arlovski. 8 years of HW champs. And it hasn't hurt one yet.

I think Cormier will be alright.

You're definitely right regarding the correlation between his thick chest and the poor back control he has shown, however I definitely think it's a deficiency that can be worked on, as there are plenty of styles of back control suited for different body types.

I do agree that ground and pound should be his main tool, though. WAR Cormier.

I'm not sure what I just read.

He's short and thick, so he can't do RNC's. Why not? And also, when has he had to?

Cain's the best fighter in the world. No RNC's. JDS was the champ. Didn't see him RNCing guys. Brock never RNC'd anyone. Neither did Randy during his prime. Or Sylvia. Or Arlovski. 8 years of HW champs. And it hasn't hurt one yet.

I think Cormier will be alright.

Rewatch the fight and you'll understand what you just read. Unless in giving you too much credit.

You're definitely right regarding the correlation between his thick chest and the poor back control he has shown, however I definitely think it's a deficiency that can be worked on, as there are plenty of styles of back control suited for different body types.

I do agree that ground and pound should be his main tool, though. WAR Cormier.

Agreed. I can't actually take credit for noticing it, it was a buddy who pointed it out to me during tonights fight and then I saw what he meant.

Rewatch the fight and you'll understand what you just read.

I watched the fight just fine. He has excellent top control that can translate into back control. He was on cruise control for that fight. I'm not saying he's the best, but it was obvious he was in no hurry and took what the fight was giving him.

There was one spot in particular that he had an impressive back side mount where he pinned the shoulder between his legs and was landing punches. Very Cain-esque.

And like I said, I don't see why it matters if he bases his game on back control. Every UFC HW champ for the last 8 years never based their game on this, and it's never been called a flaw.

I think his weight ( 230 lbs ? He started at 250ish ) loss affected his brute strength too..

He didn't seem as strong and explosive than in the BF and Barnett fights.
Also he didn't picked his shots as much standing, he was more throwing fast ( a bit reckless ) flurries

I watched the fight just fine. He has excellent top control that can translate into back control. He was on cruise control for that fight. I'm not saying he's the best, but it was obvious he was in no hurry and took what the fight was giving him.

There was one spot in particular that he had an impressive back side mount where he pinned the shoulder between his legs and was landing punches. Very Cain-esque.

And like I said, I don't see why it matters if he bases his game on back control. Every UFC HW champ for the last 8 years never based their game on this, and it's never been called a flaw.

Not only did u not see it in the fight (exampled by the fact that his side back mount maneuver was clearly an adjustment he made after realizing the same thing my buddy did mid fight) but you can't even read this thread right. "His ONE weakness" is the jist here, indicating that I don't think he has many if any others. Indicating that in obviously a fan of what I see. Based I these facts, you can rest assured that your post defending Cormier is just a waste of time. He's the hw I've been most excited about for about a year now.

I think his weight ( 230 lbs ? He started at 250ish ) loss affected his brute strength too..

He didn't seem as strong and explosive than in the BF and Barnett fights.
Also he didn't picked his shots as much standing, he was more throwing fast ( a bit reckless ) flurries

Yeah I noticed that too. His striking is usually pretty crisp, which probably accounts for a good portion of his hype.

I think his weakness is that he is quite slow for a smaller heavyweight and seems to lack a strong striking defense. I think he would get picked apart by a fast heavyweight with good striking that can defend his wrestling.

I think his weakness is that he is quite slow for a smaller heavyweight

Slow? Are you out of your mind? Cormier is one of the fastest and the most explosive heavyweights out there for sure.

isn't he about the same height as fedor, when hes with cain, cain is only about 1-2 inches taller than him at most, i think he will be fine, he uses his height well like tyson did , but in a wrestling sense.

It seems these AKA HWs just do not like going for subs when they are presented, they rarely put hooks in and just beat on their opponents, which isnt a bad thing if you have the cardio, but MMA is such a tough sport that when a chance is given to you it should be taken.
An example from the same card is Moussasi didnt waste a second with Kyle.

Agreed, especially since his background is in wrestling, he will probably concentrate further on switching to side controls on either side of a turtled opponents back instead of trying to sink hooks in. That way the GnP can flow freely with minimal chance of the opponent being able to steal top position.

Last edited:
but what Heavyweight could that be? I surely doubt JDS could especially after the way Cain destroyed him.

JDS lost to the best heavyweight in the world and now he isn't capable of winning are you serious? JDS, Cain and Overeem sure could beat Cormier. If Hunt can defend the takedown I am sure he would have a shot along with a few others.

Slow? Are you out of your mind? Cormier is one of the fastest and the most explosive heavyweights out there for sure.

He has power but if you can show me one clip of Cormier showing good speed in a combination of strikes. He gets hit a lot one of the reasons is that he doesn't move out of the way fast enough.

To be honest, it looked like he could have sunk in a RNC, kimura, or armbar at a couple of points during that fight - he just seemed to prefer not risking being swept or reversed, by continuing to control the back and punching away instead.

Back