Cormier vs 205 division (not named Jon Jones)

Imo it's all about how he deals with dat weight cut. He's not that young too.
If he cuts weight properly and it does not affect him though, i see him doing great.

It really does come down to this and it certainly isn't a forgone conclusion that it will go well. This is why part of me wants him to just stay at HW because it could be very risky for his career.

He's not going to 205. He likes his cheeseburgers.

He'd beat most fighters. The only person I see giving him trouble would be Machida.

Everybody talks about how DC would do against Bones, but few talk about how would he do against the rest of the 205ers. How do you see DC doing against Rampage, Machida, Shogun, Guss and Rashad?
Imo if DC manages to cut weight properly he would dismantle Rampage and Shogun. Guss would be a hard one though i think he would wressle him into a decision. Rashad has nowherenear the wresslin that DC has, he would lose as well. Machida is the only guy that i see doing well against DC, I cannot pick a winner on that one. (btw i think jones would beat dc at 205, at hw he gets dismantled though.)
So DC destroys Rampage and Shogun, it would be a massacre.
He beats Rashad and Guss convincingly.
I cannot pick a winner between him and Machida.

Cormier has an incredible strong core and can punch at the HW division. I do question, how he would look with people that will punch faster. Its hard to say how good he is yet, but, he sure looks promising.

Cormier would wreck anyone at LHW not named Jones... I wasn't a believer until the barnett fight, but that fight was jaw-dropping.

Can he really make light heavy? I think his current physique is playing to his strengths and part of the reason he's been doing well.

So is everyone else at LHW...I remember in some old interview where Kevin Randleman said he was more intimidated by the LHW division more than the HW division because everyone is fast and can hit like HWs. I think HW is still a better fit for Daniel just because he has a much bigger speed advantage than he would at LHW.

I don't know fighters have different opinions.

Imo Cormier is going to lhw, he just wont be happy staying as #2 or 3 hw because his friend is champ. He will definitely test the lhw waters, it's just a matter of time. No question about it.

I agree.

Assuming DC can make LHW while maintaining the same ability he has now, then I would favor him against anyone including Jones. That is a really big assumption thought. I would like to see him stay at HW.

Machida would probably beat him. He has a good chance against everyone else not name Jon bones Jones

I would like to see Cormier stay at HW and keep the huge speed advantage he has over most guys, but now that Cain is the champ I could see him being discouraged about going for the belt. As for LHW, I think he could do very well until he ran into Machida.

Well, supposedly Machida is 'up at night' thinking about getting dominated in sparring with Cain.

And when Cain and DC spar its 'a standstill'.

Apparently.

If he has roughly the same abilities that he has shown at HW down at 205, I pick him over everyone except Jones. He has a real chance against Jones, too.

I agree. With Cormier and Jones I can't really pick either against each other, we gotta see more from Cormier to judge.

It really does come down to this and it certainly isn't a forgone conclusion that it will go well. This is why part of me wants him to just stay at HW because it could be very risky for his career.

Cormier could cut at least 23 pounds of fat, he'd be around 215 pounds. Then he could cut water from there.

Well, supposedly Machida is 'up at night' thinking about getting dominated in sparring with Cain.

And when Cain and DC spar its 'a standstill'.

Apparently.

I think a lot of that is hyping up your training partner, its been done to death. Cain is a fantastic fighter, but I'm sure a lot of that talk is meant to hype your guy...if I were to pick a fighter in the LHW division to give Cormier fits besides Jones it would be Machida.

So is everyone else at LHW...I remember in some old interview where Kevin Randleman said he was more intimidated by the LHW division more than the HW division because everyone is fast and can hit like HWs. I think HW is still a better fit for Daniel just because he has a much bigger speed advantage than he would at LHW.

The LHW division is a much faster division and Randleman was correct, they are fast, with power and are more wellrounded.

Cormier is a top division HW and I think his place is at HW but with his skill I think he could do well in either but I have issues with whether he can deal with the speed of the LHW's and dropping in weight.

The speed advantage he comfortably enjoys at HW would be all but gone at LHW. But Cormier is indeed a very good wrestler so that is legit.

The LHW division is a much faster division and Randleman was correct, they are fast, with power and are more wellrounded.

Cormier is a top division HW and I think his place is at HW but with his skill I think he could do well in either but I have issues with whether he can deal with the speed of the LHW's and dropping in weight.

But Cormier is indeed a very good fighter but the speed advantage he comfortably enjoys at HW would be all but gone at LHW but his wrestling is legit.

Cormier would become faster if he dropped to light-heavyweight though. Also why don't light-heavyweights fight at heavyweight then? I'm not talking about Jones because he's a dominant champion there who will move up in a few years I think. But what about the others? I don't think Forrest would have managed to have become a champion at heavyweight.

to me, that sounds like a big drop for him. my opinion is that he's going to stay at hw. he can make plenty of money there.

I agree. With Cormier and Jones I can't really pick either against each other, we gotta see more from Cormier to judge.

Cormier could cut at least 23 pounds of fat, he'd be around 215 pounds. Then he could cut water from there.

It is tough to say how he'll react to getting down that low. As he has said, if he is going to go down, it will involve a complete change in lifestyle and diet. I'd say he can defenitely get down that low but there will always be questions about his performance until he can show it down there. The only real reason that he would go down should be to fight Jones for that big payday (IMO). He still might be the best HW in the world and conventional wisdom is that it is better to be the HW champ than the LHW champ.

It is tough to say how he'll react to getting down that low. As he has said, if he is going to go down, it will involve a complete change in lifestyle and diet. I'd say he can defenitely get down that low but there will always be questions about his performance until he can show it down there. The only real reason that he would go down should be to fight Jones for that big payday (IMO). He still might be the best HW in the world and conventional wisdom is that it is better to be the HW champ than the LHW champ.

Good points made, in Boxing definitely being a heavyweight champion is more recognized but in MMA I'm not sure if that's the case as much. It depends on what happens in the division, Cormier could have a fight at light-heavyweight to see how he performs there.

The speed advantage he comfortably enjoys at HW would be all but gone at LHW. But Cormier is indeed a very good wrestler so that is legit.

Yep. I think Cormier at 205 becomes a more offensive-minded wrestler than he is at HW.

Cormier would become faster if he dropped to light-heavyweight though. Also why don't light-heavyweights fight at heavyweight then? I'm not talking about Jones because he's a dominant champion there who will move up in a few years I think. But what about the others? I don't think Forrest would have managed to have become a champion at heavyweight.

It doesnt really work out like that, he would be going to a faster division from the slowest division in MMA and he hasn't fought many fast HW's and isnt the fastest HW at HW. So we dont know how his speed will be at LHW in relation to the LHW's who are use to that speed and are very fast on their feet.

Also the LHW division is the LHW division, they are more athletic, faster and have good speed and have good power.

Its not a knock on the HW division but the heavies lack speed but hit heavy.

Back