Cord Cutters 2020 - YouTube TV, Sling, Hulu TV, Fubo, Philo, etc.

TheNinja

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
So I'm still the guy who has CableTV. I got into a really good 2 year deal that just expired and this "hidden fees" are absolutely ridiculous (Local Sports, state/government, DVR, etc.). I do like Live TV and DVR capabilities with it as I like live sports, and sometimes just the ability to browse random channels.

What are you guys using? What do you think are the best and worst services? Do some of you guys prefer to keep cable in order to have a service that doesn't require your Internet? What things are important to you? I'm leaning towards 1 option but curious what others think.

I do have Netflix, Prime, and Disney+ too so don't need extra services like that.

-Home Internet - company pays for
-Neflix through T-Mobile cell account, which my company pays for
-Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ - 14 bucks a month i think
-Amazon prime - 10 bucks per month?

no cable

Eir BB and home phone €29 PM, comes with free Eir sports (BT sport) and Prime. I use Kodi for everything else.

After the Bengals lost to the Steelers in playoffs 2016 I called direct tv to cancel. I told them I am tired of watching my football team lose. She didnt dare offer me a discount lol....

After that just Netflix, prime, local channels on hd antenna (nbc, fox, abc) , HBO espn fox sports with my brothers log in)

Yeah you have to adjust and you will

No cable here since I moved out my moms house. I was 18

We had att back in 2014 for a year. Only because a promo with our cell phone plan.

We have Netflix now, we pay $5 a month to use my bro in laws account.

Free YouTube premium, thanks to my wife's sister

"Free" Hulu through our current cell phone plan.

We pay for Amazon prime, because we order stuff.

Youtube TV - fills in most of the void of cable TV. It's surprisingly handy to be able to use on multiple devices. Work computer, Home TV, on the phone when I'm in the shitter. It's also nice since you can share the account with your family and each family member has your own separate DVR. The main drawback to me is lack of regional sports, although they still have ESPN. I don't even think of it as cutting the cord, more like saying FU to traditional cable companies. So far I'm loving Youtube TV, although check their channel selection, random stations like History Channel and A&E aren't included.

I also have Prime and Netflix (Wife's family's account)

When we lived in DC, we just bought a box antenna that we placed on the wall. We got tons of stations. Plus, with so many embassies in the area, we got programming from all over.

The antenna was just $12 and we got it from Home Depot.

Youtube TV - fills in most of the void of cable TV. It's surprisingly handy to be able to use on multiple devices. Work computer, Home TV, on the phone when I'm in the shitter. It's also nice since you can share the account with your family and each family member has your own separate DVR. The main drawback to me is lack of regional sports, although they still have ESPN. I don't even think of it as cutting the cord, more like saying FU to traditional cable companies. So far I'm loving Youtube TV, although check their channel selection, random stations like History Channel and A&E aren't included.

I also have Prime and Netflix (Wife's family's account)

YouTube TV is the one I"m looking at. Most channels and unlimited DVR. $50 a month isn't cheap but it's cheaper than cable company who still insist on all these bullshit hidden fees. I view it the same as you in that it isn't totally getting away from network TV and stuff but it gets away from the cable company and forces them to change their pricing structure or continue to lose customers.

I'm a bit worried about lack of regional sports but most of what I watch is playoffs or local stuff on the main channels (ABC, FOX, CBS, ESPN, TNT, etc.) anyway. The only thing I don't like is that History isn't there. Though I just have to finish up Vikings and then I don't care about History channel :) - The wife enjoys Food and HGTV. I like FXX, AMC and a few others.

Thanks for the feedback btw!

When we lived in DC, we just bought a box antenna that we placed on the wall. We got tons of stations. Plus, with so many embassies in the area, we got programming from all over.

The antenna was just $12 and we got it from Home Depot.

Do you have any sort of DVR through the antenna? I could like to be able to record stuff. And if I'm saving $50+ a month by not having cable and I can use an antenna and a DVR, I can spend a lot of money on a good combo of those 2 and come out ahead vs $50 per month really quick!

Netflix, YouTube (the regular free one) and my physical media collection.

Netflix, Amazon and the premium Hulu package for live sports. I'm paying $44 a month I think for the Hulu, I like it as I get the hometown broadcasts of my favorite teams even though I now live out of state. It's a little buggy bit I can record and watch later. There is a pretty good channel selection.

I have Hulu for live TV and I like it. The only major channels they’re missing is Paramount Network, MTV, and AMC I believe. I have it combined with HBO for like $70 a month I think.

For now, we just use Amazon Prime and watch the free stuff. The kids like Gilligan's Island. My wife watches the procedural crime dramas.

Hulu Live, Netflix and Prime covers all bases for me.

I don't watch much TV so I could care less. My wife loves Philo. It has every channel she could possibly want and for $15/month it's very reasonable. We have Netflix and Amazon as well. Tried Sling TV for 2 weeks, but didn't really go on much and it didn't have anything more to offer my wife when compared to Philo. Only thing I want that we don't have is the basic channels. Indoor antenna's don't work well in my house. My neighbor has a outdoor antenna so I'm going to ask him how it's working out for him. If he's catching all the basic channels I may do the same.

FiOS 400mb internet - 59.99
Hulu - 12 I think
Disney - Free for Year from FiOS
Prime - 10
HBO - 15
SHO - 12
Netflix - 10
Locast - 5

So like 125 as opposed to the 235 I was paying for before with cable.

Got YouTubeTv after PSVue ended. Took some getting used to but it's not bad. I like that it automatically saves the program if you stop watching. Also have Netflix through Tmobile, ESPN+, HBO, Prime and EPIX. We use them all pretty equally except maybe HBO. We get Hulu every so often for a single month to binge watch a show the gf usually wants to see. Would never go back to cable.

Last edited:
7 years since i cut the cord, and i haven’t looked back. Between Netflix, Prime and Disney+ i have everything i need.

Sling for ESPN, Netflix and Amazon Prime is all I need.

Back