Cops arrest homeowner instead of squatters

If she's standing there with the deed to the house and they can't prove they have a legal tenancy agreement with her or her legal representative, it's pretty obvious who is in the right here.

"Oh, you have a tenancy agreement? Who's it with? Not the legal owner of the property? GTFO"

They need to, not just evict but jail these scumbags.

I never realised why any tenancy agreement, even private ones needs to be registered with the government where I live until now.
At the point when the police arrested her, from their perspective she could be a landlord just harassing her tenants. The police department don't have the power to check the tenancy registry, if such a thing exists in NYC (maybe that's something they should be authorised to do, if one exists).

It's not obvious at all. If a tenant doesn't produce a tenancy agreement on the day, it doesn't mean they aren't a legal tenant. Police also aren't legally educated to know what is and isn't valid proof of tenancy (eg if a tenant produced a fake agreement, the police would not know if it is fake, as it's not their area of expertise. Likewise, the police are not educated on what a legitimate deed looks like).

You're operating as if all information is instantly readily available and everyone has perfect understanding of the law.

All squatters claim they're tenants. But the guy in this case didn't even have a lease agreement or any paperwork, so he should've been arrested right there.

The smarter ones will at least forge a lease agreement, but if they're too lazy to even be good criminals then fuck 'em. Haul their ass to jail.
Not watched the video, but it seems they had utility bills, so they had some sort of paperwork. And not producing a tenancy agreement in the moment doesn't mean someone isn't a valid tenant. I rent, my last tenancy agreement document was in 2018 and since then I only have emails to evidence tenancy extensions. I guarantee if I tell a police officer about terms like "section 13", "section 8, "section 21" they won't know wtf I'm talking about. Reality is nobody here can know the situation, neither can the police. It's an issue for legal experts to deal with. We live in an adult world where due process is supposed to be followed, rather than acting on an emotional whim.

At the point when the police arrested her, from their perspective she could be a landlord just harassing her tenants. The police department don't have the power to check the tenancy registry, if such a thing exists in NYC (maybe that's something they should be authorised to do, if one exists).

It's not obvious at all. If a tenant doesn't produce a tenancy agreement on the day, it doesn't mean they aren't a legal tenant. Police also aren't legally educated to know what is and isn't valid proof of tenancy (eg if a tenant produced a fake agreement, the police would not know if it is fake, as it's not their area of expertise. Likewise, the police are not educated on what a legitimate deed looks like).

You're operating as if all information is instantly readily available and everyone has perfect understanding of the law.

Not watched the video, but it seems they had utility bills, so they had some sort of paperwork. And not producing a tenancy agreement in the moment doesn't mean someone isn't a valid tenant. I rent, my last tenancy agreement document was in 2018 and since then I only have emails to evidence tenancy extensions. I guarantee if I tell a police officer about terms like "section 13", "section 8, "section 21" they won't know wtf I'm talking about. Reality is nobody here can know the situation, neither can the police. It's an issue for legal experts to deal with. We live in an adult world where due process is supposed to be followed, rather than acting on an emotional whim.
You think cops shouldn't need to know the law? Seriously?

The vagrant didn't even have a fake lease agreement. It's been nearly 20 years since I rented but I had not only physical copies but also scans of my rental agreement stored online, the whole time. I could also pull up my internet banking to show the payment history to the landlord which were always titled: rent (address).

You have the legal owner and you have someone with ZERO evidence they have any legal right to be there. A clear case of trespassing.

Keep voting for the moronic law makers and this is what you get. I’d wait till they were all inside and light it off

Yeah, even more fun is when the pieces

I guess getting arrested is preferable to this lady who found squatters in her house, and they beat her death when she tried to kick them out and cops found her body in a duffel bag in one of the closets.

The fun part is that if you want to take them to court to get your house back, it costs you tens of thousands in legal fees, while the squatter gets a free, taxpayer funded "tenant's rights" lawyer. And since there's obviously no lease or security deposit, they end of trashing the place and costing tens of thousands more in repairs.

There's a parody video on twitter about it that's actually what the squatters do.

She had the deed to the house, told the cops he is not renting it now and never was, he had no lease agreement, nothing showing that he's ever paid rent. Herp derp, how is anybody supposed to figure out if he's a real tenant or not?

Was there a party though?
9rqcaz.gif

Hey fuck you you scummy bitch. There is video of the dude breaking into the house. Also show receipts for rent or get fucked. I hate you, you personally, for defending this shit.

We live in an age of digital banking you scummy fuck.

Yeah, even more fun is when the pieces

I guess getting arrested is preferable to this lady who found squatters in her house, and they beat her death when she tried to kick them out and cops found her body in a duffel bag in one of the closets.

The fun part is that if you want to take them to court to get your house back, it costs you tens of thousands in legal fees, while the squatter gets a free, taxpayer funded "tenant's rights" lawyer. And since there's obviously no lease or security deposit, they end of trashing the place and costing tens of thousands more in repairs.

There's a parody video on twitter about it that's actually what the squatters do.

She had the deed to the house, told the cops he is not renting it now and never was, he had no lease agreement, nothing showing that he's ever paid rent. Herp derp, how is anybody supposed to figure out if he's a real tenant or not?

That guy let's people plow his girlfriend in front of him as reparations and donates all his money to the innocence project.

If she's standing there with the deed to the house and they can't prove they have a legal tenancy agreement with her or her legal representative, it's pretty obvious who is in the right here.

"Oh, you have a tenancy agreement? Who's it with? Not the legal owner of the property? GTFO"

They need to, not just evict but jail these scumbags.

I never realised why any tenancy agreement, even private ones needs to be registered with the government where I live until now.

Actually, your argument is a bit flawed.

If you buy or inherit a house occupied by tenants you may not just kick them to the curb.
There are too many misguided laws in place which don’t clarify the situation in a timely manner.

Simple solution: Write up a quick lease, or print one off the internet. Have some random person you know have their name as the lease owner, you sign as the renter. Head on in, you are now squatting in your own property and the cops can't do shit. Then make the other parties life a living hell. Eat their food, blast music when they are asleep, shit on their bed. And if they dare raise a finger to you, press charges have them arrested and it's a done deal. Or just wait for them to cave and vacate.

Simple solution: Write up a quick lease, or print one off the internet. Have some random person you know have their name as the lease owner, you sign as the renter. Head on in, you are now squatting in your own property and the cops can't do shit. Then make the other parties life a living hell. Eat their food, blast music when they are asleep, shit on their bed. And if they dare raise a finger to you, press charges have them arrested and it's a done deal. Or just wait for them to cave and vacate.
Yeah there's a guy that actually does this for a living. They call him the squatter hunter. You pay him a fee and he basically annoys the squatters until they leave.

Could be dangerous though if they're violent.

Actually, your argument is a bit flawed.

If you buy or inherit a house occupied by tenants you may not just kick them to the curb.
Of course. He was talking about a squatting situation, not one where real tenants were there.

I think most people accept laws that protect real tenants, not they make it way too easy for squatters to abuse those protections.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back