Coping with being out of shape

Morgz said:
I realize most of you are probably in really good shape, and may not even remember a day like the ones I have had the past few days.

What do any of you do to deal with the mild pain/fatigue from a tough workout? I am a bit older and out of shape. Had my first grappling class a few days ago. I really loved it, but I was completely sucking eggs from being out of shape, to the point of being a bit embarassed. I am not overweight -- but I just haven't done any real exercsize in years, and what seemed to be an easy class for the regulars, really whiped me out.

So, afterwords I am sore as hell. You know, muscles feel like rubber, very stiff, hard to move, etc. I have taken ibuprofen, but that is about it. I know that getting in shape will cure this, and I intend to. However I would like to go back for my next class soon, and honestly if I did so today, I don't think I could do much.

Any tips, or ideas of what I can do to help work through this until I get back in shape?

only solution is time.

also eat a good diet. stay away from junk foods, try to eat a lot of lean meats(white meat chicken, sandwhich meat, etc..) complex carbs(whole wheat bread, oatmeal) to help fuel you're workouts.

Im no expert but, good amount of sleep, pasta, I like to drink energy drinks b4 prac. Make sure ur hydrated b4 class, when not in class, rest ur body and muscles a much as you can

i say eat a lot so you can repair your body

and do some type of cardio in between classes

Morgz said:
Thanks for the responses. I have posted this before and will post it again, I have an extreme nowfound respect for anyone who trains BJJ.

I have always been determined, so I think that will help -- I will definately stick with it. Also, maybe some stretching on days off, too? I have already added a short run on a non training day (as much as I could stand, anyway).

This a tough delimma for me because I really want to learn (I am very eager) and had SO MUCH fun that first time. I just need to get my damn body to participate, too! LOL!

Thanks for the tips. Especially the hot bath, non impact exercise, and DIET (I never realized what crap one can eat without even knowing it!).

Keep em coming if anyone thinks of anything else.

One of the most effective tips I got was from my brother, who's an endurance bike rider (just won his first century bike race, for those who don't know what that is, it's a 100 mile in 1 day race, usually takes around 10 hours on the saddle for an offroad race, which his was), he caught me eating a big plate of spaghetti like 45 minutes before class and almost had a stroke,

"What are you doing?!?!" he said

"I'm eating, I need energy before my class." I replied

"that's only going to make it worse, you need at least 2 hours to digest before strenuous activity, usually it's more like three"

I listened to him and he was right, that night I went to class and after about 30 minutes I spend the entire rest of the 2 hour class tasting that spaghetti in the back of my throat and trying to hold it down on top of being COMPLETELY gassed.

Now I usually have a set "preclass snack" that consists of a can of tuna and a piece of fruit about 2-3 hours before class, I never gas anymore. Some of this is obviously due to the fact that my body has adjusted to the class schedule, but even the next day, I noticed a HUGE difference when I gave my body 2-3 hours to digest my last meal before I train.

Try this, it's a HUGE difference.

Back