Coping with being out of shape

Morgz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I realize most of you are probably in really good shape, and may not even remember a day like the ones I have had the past few days.

What do any of you do to deal with the mild pain/fatigue from a tough workout? I am a bit older and out of shape. Had my first grappling class a few days ago. I really loved it, but I was completely sucking eggs from being out of shape, to the point of being a bit embarassed. I am not overweight -- but I just haven't done any real exercsize in years, and what seemed to be an easy class for the regulars, really whiped me out.

So, afterwords I am sore as hell. You know, muscles feel like rubber, very stiff, hard to move, etc. I have taken ibuprofen, but that is about it. I know that getting in shape will cure this, and I intend to. However I would like to go back for my next class soon, and honestly if I did so today, I don't think I could do much.

Any tips, or ideas of what I can do to help work through this until I get back in shape?

Stay with it, your body will get stronger. You can't just show up after years of inactivity and expect to be competitive. Put in the time.

What you're describing happens to almost everyone. I've seen athletic 19-year-olds gas when they started BJJ. I started when I was just 19, but I had been doing no real exercise in a couple years, so it took me months before my body caught up with my training. Just stick with it and it'll work out. You'll get in shape, and more importantly, learn to relax and conserve energy.

Its gonna rough for you at the beginning, but will get a little bit easier each time as your body adjusts. It won't happen overnight, it's gonna take several months to get into good grappling shape, especially in your situation.

The key for you now is getting sufficient rest & time off. Try starting with training only 2x per week, with a couple days off in between. Once you can handle that easily, go to 3x. It's OK to hit the mat with a little soreness, but if you are still wiped from the last class & it hurts to just move around, take another day or 2 off. You wouldn't lift weights when you're still sore from the previous workout (if you want to progress, that is), the same applies to grappling.

You should probably add some low impact cardio on some of your non-training days like a treadmill or bike. That'll help your endurance a ton, w/o getting you more banged up & sore.

Resident is right. When I started, 1 class a week killed me, but I started doing 2 as soon as I could. This killed me at first, but as soon as I could, I made it 3. Then 4. Then 5. Now I can train 5 nights a week without significant soreness or injury. Once my body was up to snuff, what really made this possible was learning to train safely, not to overexert myself and RELAX.

Also, don't forget DIET!

When I started I used to just leave time between lessons to heal at least to a level of feeling ok. Also, I'd have a hot bath after practice. That really helped reduce the muscle soreness.

Thanks for the responses. I have posted this before and will post it again, I have an extreme nowfound respect for anyone who trains BJJ.

I have always been determined, so I think that will help -- I will definately stick with it. Also, maybe some stretching on days off, too? I have already added a short run on a non training day (as much as I could stand, anyway).

This a tough delimma for me because I really want to learn (I am very eager) and had SO MUCH fun that first time. I just need to get my damn body to participate, too! LOL!

Thanks for the tips. Especially the hot bath, non impact exercise, and DIET (I never realized what crap one can eat without even knowing it!).

Keep em coming if anyone thinks of anything else.

My father, who is 50+ years old, practices BJJ with me. (It's a family thing - myself, my wife, my 2 brothers and Dad.) He, like you, is always very anxious to practice and roll intensely. Its not that he wants to beat everyone, he just loves grappling. The problem is he hurts himself when he pushes things too far.

So, recently, Dad has cut back on the number of days he practices BJJ (2 to 3). He also relaxes more during the workouts and does not try to do every drill. Although this approach is sometimes frustrating, its better than hurting himself and risking loss of practice time (or even quitting altogether). Dad

start off training 2x/week for about 2 weeks then step it up to 3 if you rest too much it will take a lot longer to get in shape then you would like just go as much as you can handle without hurting yourself and you'll get used to it before you know it

Morgz dont worry bout it.
Im 35 and have been away from grappling for a long time. 2.5 years ago when I was in Tn I decided to go back to BJJ.
Let me tell you between being 25lbs heavier and smoking a pack a day I was tapping out to side control!!
But even then after about 3 weeks I noticed a real difference. Now its been 2 yrs since I have really trained and once again I am going to try to squeeze BJJ back into my life. I KNOW Im gonna be sick after my first 10 or so sessions.
The amazing thing is the body seems to adapt very well.
Keep at it before long you will be rolling with much more energy!

Coach Couzo said:
My father, who is 50+ years old, practices BJJ with me. (It's a family thing - myself, my wife, my 2 brothers and Dad.) He, like you, is always very anxious to practice and roll intensely. Its not that he wants to beat everyone, he just loves grappling. The problem is he hurts himself when he pushes things too far.

So, recently, Dad has cut back on the number of days he practices BJJ (2 to 3). He also relaxes more during the workouts and does not try to do every drill. Although this approach is sometimes frustrating, its better than hurting himself and risking loss of practice time (or even quitting altogether). Dad

That's about how long it took me to 'get back in shape' 3 weeks or so and you can easily handle the warmups and stuff. I'm not saying I didn't get tired, but I could finish them and I didn't mind walking home afterwards :)

Aesopian said:
Resident is right. When I started, 1 class a week killed me, but I started doing 2 as soon as I could. This killed me at first, but as soon as I could, I made it 3. Then 4. Then 5. Now I can train 5 nights a week without significant soreness or injury. Once my body was up to snuff, what really made this possible was learning to train safely, not to overexert myself and RELAX.

Also, don't forget DIET!
yeah i agree with Asopian.

Rest is your best solution to the sore muscles. Drink lots of water to flush the toxins from your body.. just get in and train when you can. It will take awhile for out body to acclimate.

I may be a bit like CC's dad (but I am 37). I am just happy as hell to learn it and do what I can.

My first class was on Tuesday, and I am going to go Saturday as well. I should be well enough off to give it another go by then. If that works out, then I could probably at least do a 2X a week schedule, with 3 days rest in between. A little jogging or cycling on off days to help cardio and maybe I'll get there. LOL if I can get to a point where I make it through warmups and still have a little energy to learn moves and roll I am really going to be happy.

Right now I can't even imagine 3+ days a week...heheh... but then again, I am not in this to win competitions or anything -- just learn an art, get in shape, and have fun.

Knoxpk -- I can't imagine being a smoker at all and doing this! I would have puked on the instructors feet! Haw! I was finally able to quit cigs 3 years ago.

Gsoares2 said:
Drink lots of water to flush the toxins from your body..

I'm glad you brought that up. I used to have a hard time drinking plain water. Over the past year I have learned just how much drinking a ton of water can help you with lots of overall health concerns. And I used to MAYBE drink 1 glass of water a week -- the rest of the time it was coffee, tea, sodas, etc.

Well, a year ago on Dr's orders I started forcing myself to drink 6 - 8 glasses a day (took a LONG time for me to build up to that). Once I started doing it regularly I found that to be the biggest help in the world for just overall general health reasons. Drinking lots of water actually made me feel better.

This is all great advice!
Along these lines, for the non-ripped of us, how much energy do you guys use during the initial tie-up with the opponent? It seems that since I'm outta shape I end up being tired before I even land down on the mat.
This is both stand-up starts or from the knees.
Do you guys relax to the point of just going down into position or do you try and place the other guy somewhere? Does it really matter?
thanx and good luck Morgz!

Am in the same boat as you. I'm not in the shape I want to be. That only means you have to work harder

bacon said:
Stay with it, your body will get stronger. You can't just show up after years of inactivity and expect to be competitive. Put in the time.
That is the best advice you could receive. Just stick with it and you will start to adapt.

Yeah man when you first start its hard as hell. You're not used to the stress that your body goes through in grappling. Your legs, neck, hands, forearms, everything hurts at first, did for me anyway. After a while its not bad tho, you get used to it. Your body will learn to adjust, just takes time. There used to be times when I first started that Id be sore for days after a class, hasnt happened in a long time tho, I hardly ever become sore after a class anymore, even after really intense rolling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back