Law Cop on cop violence-cop chokes another cop trying to prevent excessive force

You have to wonder what he would do to some criminal if he is willing to grab another cop like that. I have pulled cops away from situations like that where their tempers had gotten the best of them. I was thanked for doing it personally, but this guy seems to have a huge ego and was likely felt embarrassed by a younger officer, maybe because she is female to boot. This man is unfit for duty and needs charged

in that short video he pushed her away and was only like a second on her throat without actually choking her as you can tell by his hand. He swiftly moved his hand to the shoulder to push her. So not too much of a big deal imo.

give him 2 weeks without payment

I don't know, I genuinely don't see see how that's remotely realistic. Breaking cuffs would require 500 lbs of force with your wrists which would shred them. I don't see officers being able to cuff a suspect and then fail to check them for weapons. Not exactly a subtle way to grab that hidden weapon in cuffs even if they had one.

She's also got a working pair of eyes, I don't see why she'd be pulling him off if the officer was reacting to the suspect awkwardly pulling a weapon out or breaking the cuffs somehow.

I don't know what "all the associated bullshit" means here. Forget whether it was justified or not. You seem pretty confident in there being risks here so maybe you can break it down for me a little more clearly.

He could have had a nuke in his shoe!

I don't agree with any of that. Women are a net detriment to law enforcement, and at the end of the day a larger percentage of women are incapable of controlling the situation if a suspect gets violent.
You have some fantasy idea of what policing is. A police officer told you all the other purposes that a female officer can do better and you totally ignore them. You are aware that policing isn't just about arresting violent criminals aren't you?

You have some fantasy idea of what policing is. A police officer told you all the other purposes that a female officer can do better and you totally ignore them. You are aware that policing isn't just about arresting violent criminals aren't you?
Hes probably right in 1970s. Police used to attitude adjust you on the spot with their lead slapjack. trust me was on bad end a few times.... Times have changed though.

Hes probably right in 1970s. Police used to attitude adjust you on the spot with their lead slapjack. trust me was on bad end a few times.... Times have changed though.
50 years out of date with the times sounds about right.

Feels like there's also a trauma/ptsd factor here and a culture of trying to suppress rather than process. That's a dangerous combination considering that a lot of the people police end up in conflict with have trauma/ptsd issues of their own.

That's a recipe for disaster.

Quite often when I see one of those videos of a seemingly simply situation spiraling out of control it feels to me (as someone married to a woman with extensive trauma issues) that the senseless escalation we are witnessing on the parts of all involved is just way beyond the control of the central nervous systems of anyone present.

(This one doesn't feel like that to me. This guy wasn't panicked by an intensified interaction with someone that triggered him to feel threatened. He was feeling challenged by someone who was below his consideration as any sort of threat and he wanted to make sure she knew it.)

I agree, and it took me a long time to recognize that a lot of the people we dealt with had experienced trauma their whole lives. When you learn what trauma does to the brain snd how it alters the chemistry, it makes you think a lot more. I was a pretty educated cop with a degree in psychology from Washington snd Jefferson college/a damn good school, but back in the 90s, we didn’t yet understand the effects of a traumatic upbringing such as witnessing violence snd how that will likely affect the person their whole lives with no telling what can reignite that trauma. Oddly enough, it was training through social work snd some classes I took while getting my masters degree that really made it hit home for me and start to make sense. I wish I had had that understanding when I was a cop

I agree. This comes down to whether he was out of line pepper spraying the dude in my mind.

Pushing her back looks bad but 2 seconds is hard to judge.

Unless it was against policy, I don’t have an issue with the threat of the pepper spray in this situation, but I think it was whatever he said that got the attention of the other officer. The chief won’t release the audio, but I assume it’s pretty bad

in that short video he pushed her away and was only like a second on her throat without actually choking her as you can tell by his hand. He swiftly moved his hand to the shoulder to push her. So not too much of a big deal imo.

He knew that was a fellow officer and he was aggressive and did grab her by the throat m, which is my issue-plus whatever he said that is being kept from the audio that is at issue here

I agree, and it took me a long time to recognize that a lot of the people we dealt with had experienced trauma their whole lives. When you learn what trauma does to the brain snd how it alters the chemistry, it makes you think a lot more. I was a pretty educated cop with a degree in psychology from Washington snd Jefferson college/a damn good school, but back in the 90s, we didn’t yet understand the effects of a traumatic upbringing such as witnessing violence snd how that will likely affect the person their whole lives with no telling what can reignite that trauma. Oddly enough, it was training through social work snd some classes I took while getting my masters degree that really made it hit home for me and start to make sense. I wish I had had that understanding when I was a cop

I've gone through a pretty intense journey with my wife. I can't even begin to describe how useful the experience has been to me as a teacher. A lot of the problems that we have in a lot of fields (from medicine to policing to education and law) could be mitigated more than most can even imagine through educating people so they are trauma informed.

If he's not fired, the cop intervening should have a massive civil suit against the department and him for hostile work environment.

Fuck that guy, goes and riles up a cuffed suspect, threatens him with pepper spray and then puts hands on an officer following the law and intervening.

Dude is the poster child for what people say is wrong with law enforcement today.

I've gone through a pretty intense journey with my wife. I can't even begin to describe how useful the experience has been to me as a teacher. A lot of the problems that we have in a lot of fields (from medicine to policing to education and law) could be mitigated more than most can even imagine through educating people so they are trauma informed.

Having been diagnosed as having ptsd, I can relate to people with trauma more than I used to. A couple years ago, I would not have been comfortable talking about that or depression, but I think that is because when I was a cop, that stuff was taboo and made you seem weak or broken. That needs to change. Cops are afraid to seek help for such issues because of the stigma and the admin looking at them like they are a ticking bomb. One other thing that forever changed me was just before my back surgery, I had to completely cut off pain meds or the chances that the surgery would be less successful and more painful to recover from would be likely. So I had to go off of a large amount of narcotic opiate pain killers. It hugely sucked and withdrawals are a bitch and gave me an understanding and empathy for those struggling with such issues. Again, all stuff that would have been useful as a cop.

If he's not fired, the cop intervening should have a massive civil suit against the department and him for hostile work environment.

Fuck that guy, goes and riles up a cuffed suspect, threatens him with pepper spray and then puts hands on an officer following the law and intervening.

Dude is the poster child for what people say is wrong with law enforcement today.

On one hand, he took control of a situation that other officers were struggling with-getting a combative handcuffed suspect into the cruiser. Whether it was the threat of pepper spray or something he said, the guy recoiled into the cruiser. I said I think it can be appropriate to use pepper spray on a handcuffed subject if the right conditions exist-I have done it myself. But I have never threatened anyone or said something to get that response. Again, I don’t know whether it was the spray or what was said that got that response.

Having been diagnosed as having ptsd, I can relate to people with trauma more than I used to. A couple years ago, I would not have been comfortable talking about that or depression, but I think that is because when I was a cop, that stuff was taboo and made you seem weak or broken. That needs to change. Cops are afraid to seek help for such issues because of the stigma and the admin looking at them like they are a ticking bomb. One other thing that forever changed me was just before my back surgery, I had to completely cut off pain meds or the chances that the surgery would be less successful and more painful to recover from would be likely. So I had to go off of a large amount of narcotic opiate pain killers. It hugely sucked and withdrawals are a bitch and gave me an understanding and empathy for those struggling with such issues. Again, all stuff that would have been useful as a cop.

It's good to hear that you've been able to start processing in your life after being an officer. It's tough work, but worthwhile. As you say, the benefits of making that possible for people to do while still on the force would be significant.

It's good to hear that you've been able to start processing in your life after being an officer. It's tough work, but worthwhile. As you say, the benefits of making that possible for people to do while still on the force would be significant.

Towards the end, I did start talking about it, but it’s tough when you know that guys will probably talk shit behind your back.

Nah fuck that. Police fuck ups like this should be treated as if a civilian did this. If we turned around and put our hands on a cop like that we'd be in jail.

!00% case of roidrage, no need for USADA here.
I'm sure this guy is also a wonderful husband and/or father, a rolemodel and pillar of society.

On one hand, he took control of a situation that other officers were struggling with-getting a combative handcuffed suspect into the cruiser. Whether it was the threat of pepper spray or something he said, the guy recoiled into the cruiser. I said I think it can be appropriate to use pepper spray on a handcuffed subject if the right conditions exist-I have done it myself. But I have never threatened anyone or said something to get that response. Again, I don’t know whether it was the spray or what was said that got that response.

Pepper spray is considered intermediate force for us, so we wouldn't be able to use it in someone for non compliance in getting in the car thats cuffed. Same as we can't tase people in cuffs.

I personally think it shouldn't be considered intermediate force but thats the cards we're dealt.

Pepper spray is considered intermediate force for us, so we wouldn't be able to use it in someone for non compliance in getting in the car thats cuffed. Same as we can't tase people in cuffs.

I personally think it shouldn't be considered intermediate force but thats the cards we're dealt.

I have had to fight a few people that put up more of a fight while cuffed than before the cuffs went ins my guess was that they figured they would get beat worse before the cuffs went on.

One case in particular I am thinking of, I handcuffed a guy with an mma background. He resisted a moment, but not too much. When it was time to put him in the car, he started fighting. One officer ended up grabbing him by the cuffs and dragging him in from the other side-then he started kicking us. Kicked me in the face and I pulled out a taser and threatened to light him up-bluff, but it worked. Then I put the taser away and he started fighting again and got sprayed. I got blasted badly as the spray hit me on the inside of my sunglasses. The prosecutors kept watching that part because they thought it was funny-I said “Garrett(the officer), you dick, you sprayed me.”

Unless it was against policy, I don’t have an issue with the threat of the pepper spray in this situation, but I think it was whatever he said that got the attention of the other officer. The chief won’t release the audio, but I assume it’s pretty bad

Again, I don’t know whether it was the spray or what was said that got that response.

According to the police chief, the female officer was in the right and the Sergeant was in the wrong. The Sergeant has been relieved of supervisory responsibilities.

The chief went on to say that although the Sergeant threatened the use of the pepper spray, he did not deploy it.

No word yet on whether he'll be fired and/or charged with assault on a police officer.

See: Video shows Florida police sergeant grabbing fellow officer by her throat

Police officers were arresting a "verbally and physically resistive" suspect, accused of a violent felony, when the unidentified sergeant arrived and became aggressive with him, Sunrise Police Chief Anthony W. Rosa said in a statement.

The sergeant engaged in a verbal altercation with the suspect sitting inside a patrol vehicle and “escalated” the encounter, according to the chief.

The police body camera footage showed the sergeant ducking his head inside the patrol vehicle to talk to the suspect and holding a can of pepper spray, though he did not deploy it.

Rosa called the sergeant's behavior “inappropriate and unprofessional” and said he “unnecessarily elevated the demeanor of the suspect."

A concerned officer ran toward the sergeant and pulled him by the back of his duty belt, Rosa said.

Rosa said the officer who pulled the sergeant was following the department's policies and procedures that call for intervention when there’s “imminent fear of engagements escalating unnecessarily.”

The police chief said he immediately relieved the sergeant of his supervisory responsibilities after hearing about the incident and ordered an internal affairs investigation that is ongoing.

The sergeant involved has no contact or supervision over subordinate personnel, Rosa said.

“I am very proud of the officer involved in this incident and believe that the actions taken were definitive and demonstrative of good leadership during a tense situation," Rosa said.

He noted that Sunrise officers are expected to "de-escalate emotionally charged situations" and intervene if an officer appears to lose control or display inappropriate conduct in interacting with the public.

Police brutality is cannibalizing <Grimes01>

Back