Contraindicated Lifts aka The Stuff You Will Not Do??

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
We all have different goals, body types, fitness levels and lifestyles.

In your personal practices are there any lifts or exercises that you will not do?

Granted there are things that may not be sport or goal specific, however, are there exercises that are popular in your field but you refuse to do them, or would prefer not to? I know a common theme for avoidance is injury prevention or injury rehabilitation.

Examples, and reasonings why if you have any.

Thoughts?

Squats in the squat rack

Because its meant for curls

I am not a big back squat guy. There are people who swear by it. I have used it before. However, I prefer the Jefferson squat because the risk of lumbar or low back injury.

Form plays a big part, however, I have not known anyone to go without an injury of some kind using the traditional back squat if they have done it for long enough. I would argue it's not a matter of if, but a matter of when. The Jefferson squat I feel rids me of that risk, so I prefer it.

Also, I prefer dips to the standard flat bench as it pertains to the shoulder, and reducing the chance of injury to it.

I don’t bench. I never liked it, never really saw any results from it and it never felt comfortable or natural.

Up to recently I never did any olympic lifting. Now, I love me some squats and deads but injury is constantly on my mind so I’m definitely taking it slow.

I'll never understand the popularity of the clean and jerk. It seems dangerous as hell.

ITT: Stuff You Won’t Do Because You Don’t Know How

I don’t bench. I never liked it, never really saw any results from it and it never felt comfortable or natural.

Up to recently I never did any olympic lifting. Now, I love me some squats and deads but injury is constantly on my mind so I’m definitely taking it slow.
Squats and deads are not Olympic lifts and only result in injury if you do them with shit form

I am not a big back squat guy. There are people who swear by it. I have used it before. However, I prefer the Jefferson squat because the risk of lumbar or low back injury.

Form plays a big part, however, I have not known anyone to go without an injury of some kind using the traditional back squat if they have done it for long enough. I would argue it's not a matter of if, but a matter of when. The Jefferson squat I feel rids me of that risk, so I prefer it.

Also, I prefer dips to the standard flat bench as it pertains to the shoulder, and reducing the chance of injury to it.

Perhaps you should try some chest shrugs <Lmaoo>

k4770x.jpg

There's nothing I wont do!

PS: A contraindicaton is a medical term meaning a symptom or pathology that makes a certain rehab or medical treatment non feasible. It doesn't mean something you dont want to do for whatever reason.

CrossFit

It’s for the gays, and chubbman loves the pussy.

There's nothing I wont do!

PS: A contraindicaton is a medical term meaning a symptom or pathology that makes a certain rehab or medical treatment non feasible. It doesn't mean something you dont want to do for whatever reason.
And here comes the smartass leftist.

To answer the question: The Big 3. I'm injured enough as is.

And here comes the smartass leftist.

To answer the question: The Big 3. I'm injured enough as is.
Keep that anti-intellectualism shit to the war room dumbass.

Yeah, but aren't there better ways to do that than the clean and jerk?
I can't think of another athletic movement that requires the speed, coordination, and explosiveness that can be progressively loaded to the extent Olympic lifts can be. To me they seem like the most useful training tool using weights. A medicine ball or sledge hammer can only get so heavy but you can load twice your body weight on the bar and still perform a clean. If a fighter was trying to train explosiveness, to me it seems doing 200lb cleans or whatever would do more for him than if he was slamming down a 10lb medicine ball.

The only issue would be that they're technically demanding so athletes will have to take time away from their sport to become proficient at them.

Back