• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Contacting People you haven’t spoken to in over 15 years...

Sure, why not?

Occasionally it will feel like barely any time has passed and you can slide right back into the type of relationship you had before. Other times it can like the complete opposite and you’ll find you don’t have anything in common with the person at all anymore.

I graduated high school 18 years ago. One of my closest friends from Junior high and high school who I haven’t actually hung out with and have only seen in passing since that time came to me for some legal services back in December. We spent about half an hour shooting the shit about old times and trying to catch up before finally going through his paperwork together.

While it was kind of neat to talk to him I don’t think either of us walked out of that meeting with any interest in reestablishing any kind of friendship. It could be my imagination but I could possibly detect some resentment. He got expelled from our high school a couple of months into grade 12 for missing too many classes and as far as I know he never bothered to go back and finish his diploma, but he may have got his GED later on. For a while he owned a Subway franchise until about five or so years ago, now he’s a labourer for a sheet metal company. Meanwhile I’ve been a lawyer for ten years, married and have two kids. Whereas for him the reason he even came to see me was to help him with a separation from his fiancé and to refinance his mortgage in order to buy her out from the house they had bought together. Apparently this was the second woman he had to do this for in the last seven years. He and I had been inseparable from grade 6 to 8 so it’s strange how things can end up sometimes.

What's the point? There's probably a good reason why you lost contact in the first place i.e. you weren't that close to begin with.
Christ, they don't have to be your BEST friend. Even if it's just shooting the shit and reminiscing about old times. Bit different for me because I don't live where I grew up but I would definitely be down for a get together with a few people if the opportunity was there. Same with the company I used to work at.
It's only on Facebook, Zoom, WhatsApp or whatever but I've had some real laughs recently with people I lost touch with. People move, lives change. Doesn't mean you don't like them.

I think I get it. But I’m not sure...
Sounds redneck as fuck but was actually really sweet. Dad left us for another woman who was also married. Her husband, pretty bereft, looked us up in the phone book thinking my mum was in the same situation and they could maybe be a comfort for each other. It started out completely innocently but developed into more and 30 odd years later, my mum's gone, don't talk to my dad and he's still my step dad.

Sounds redneck as fuck but was actually really sweet. Dad left us for another woman who was also married. Her husband, pretty bereft, looked us up in the phone book thinking my mum was in the same situation and they could maybe be a comfort for each other. It started out completely innocently but developed into more and 30 odd years later, my mum's gone, don't talk to my dad and he's still my step dad.
Oh, ok. I thought it was a joke about your dad standing on the phone book, as a step, to become your step dad or something.

I have a half sister that I haven't seen face to face since 2003.

Hopefully I don't see her again.

It's gonna get ugly between our families and and we both know it, lol.

My school friends I did, yes. , and other friends not long after I left school. It really has been nice catching up with people. I was at the same company for over a decade and it's lovely catching up with them being we were all such good friends.
Go for it, what's the worst thing that could happen? Is it a confidence thing?

Yes it is a confidence thing ( as I am not where I want to be financially). maybe mixed with a fear that the good olds days in my memory are better than they were.

You sound like a real old lady in this post btw. Not meant as an insult...

I’m planning to reach to who I was talking about soon. I hit up a chick first...she’s a model now.

Yes it is a confidence thing ( as I am not where I want to be financially). maybe mixed with a fear that the good olds days in my memory are better than they were.

You sound like a real old lady in this post btw. Not meant as an insult...

I’m planning to reach to who I was talking about soon. I hit up a chick first...she’s a model now.
Lol, how can it be taken any other way than an insult?! We pretty much all know how old I am but thankfully don't hold it against me.

Are you planning on a hook up or just making contact again? Your financial status doesn't have to come into it if you aren't planning on a relationship. And not even then really, you're way overthinking this.

I've kept up with the few people from that far back that I wanted to. The rest we either had a falling out or drifted apart. I'm just not interested in trying to track down people I haven't spoken to in years.

I've kept up with the few people from that far back that I wanted to. The rest we either had a falling out or drifted apart. I'm just not interested in trying to track down people I haven't spoken to in years.
I used to drop friends over the silliest of things really, I value it more now. Dropped two like the best of friends recently over some pretty serious stuff, one of them managed to worm his way back in like he always does, the other I don't think we'll ever speak again. It's a shame.

Lol, how can it be taken any other way than an insult?! We pretty much all know how old I am but thankfully don't hold it against me.

Are you planning on a hook up or just making contact again? Your financial status doesn't have to come into it if you aren't planning on a relationship. And not even then really, you're way overthinking this.

I think I remember you posting your age, but it was in the 40’s. Your post sound more like you’re in the 60’s though, and again no offense. Lol. I am an old soul at heart myself.

Not looking to bang, but if it falls in my lap I will take it. She isn’t my original high school crush. The financial bit is important to my pride. It’s more about my shame than anyone else judging me for it.

I have had a handful of old friends reach out over the past few years. I appreciate them reaching out but, to my own surprise, I never responded to any of them so far

Would you do it? I am thinking about giving it a go because I just got my high school year book out of storage.

If you thought about it, it was for a reason. Do it.

I will follow up to make sure you did.

I haven't seen my best friend growing up since 2004. I didn't even know what happened to him until about 2014 when he added me on facebook. We've talked a few times and should meet up again one day. But it's been so long I don't know if we met now if we would even be friends lmao.

I recently got a job due to reconnecting with a friend I hadn't seen or spoke to since 6th grade. We happened to have the same college classes at a school 2 hours from where I live. Currently, I'm 24.

Sure, it's not quite fifteen years, but a lot of shit happens between the time you're 11 and 24. Puberty, middle/high school, relationships, different friends, experiences, etc nobody ever comes out the same, let alone two people. He's family-oriented and Christian as fuck, I'm definitely not in that party lol.

There's times where I think we definitely grew apart. His mannerisms are still there though and it freaks me out a bit lol.

Last edited:
Back