Constant arm pain (I'm a beginner)

Zankou, I am sorry for cussing at you. That was out of line and not only inappropriate for this forum, but also for a guy like you. You're cool and I shouldn't have said that. I had just got done with a debate on another website with someone and I guess I was still amped up.

I would say just bite the bullet and pay the extra fee to get some training.

pain = bad technique. just make sure your rear hooks are tight, you throw them from your shoulder/hip/feet rather than just your arm, and you wear hand wraps. its best to get someone to watch your technique on the bag and tell you where you're going wrong.

Chthon said:
Zankou, I am sorry for cussing at you. That was out of line and not only inappropriate for this forum, but also for a guy like you. You're cool and I shouldn't have said that. I had just got done with a debate on another website with someone and I guess I was still amped up.
Darn - I was hoping for at least a challenge fight.... You guys are too nice....:D

You sure you're not going too-hard too-early without making sure you're well warmed-up first? Personally I HAVE to start off slow & light until all my joints are nice & warm before I can really start working.

You could be over extending your elbow. Less speed = more control. Never completely straighten your arm

Buy Biofreeze over the net it is a cure pretty much for all achs and pains, this PT I know told me it is only sold to medical offices but I bought online from Amazon.com and received it last month, I can't tell you how much it works

Zankou said:
Calm down man. We're talking in circles. I'm obviously not saying there's no rear hook; read my first post. I've thrown plenty of them myself, albeit usually when the opponent is shelled up and I've got the angle. I just don't see it as a common punch, that its application is relatively limited due to physiological constraints, and I think a lot of beginners try throwing it too much because it feels more natural and powerful than the 1/2/3 punches. So I feel that beginners should concentrate on the more fundamental punches first, just as most boxing programs do. We can have different views on that. If you're having good luck throwing the right hook out of orthodox, that's terrific. It's not worth getting emotional about -- I'm just trying to help this guy, and I suspect that arm punching a rear hook is his issue. You're a good poster, and I respect your views, it's cool.

I agree with you about beginners not learning it, at first. They do tend to over use it. I didn't start throwing the right hook (and i still very, very rarely do) til i'd been training about eight or nine months, just because I didn't want to develop a bad habit. I throw it more to the body than to the head.

Airthrow said:
Nope, my hooks are horizontal not vertical, maybe I am just not limber in the rib cage yet, also it seems to hurt my bicep and tricep the most, only in my right arm, and I stand orthodox.

Well sometimes I get a few snippets of advice from the professionals, but I just pay the cheapest membership that only includes use of the facilities, I could pay more for personal instruction. Also I am in decent cardiovascular shape but I am 20lbs overweight to get into the weightclass I need to be in, I talked to a trainer who said after I lost the weight I could show him what I have and he might work with me...

And, yesterday when I worked out I saw two PROMINENT MMA fighters training, so I wouldn't call this place unprofessional.

my advice, pay more for personal instruction. it'll make a world of difference.

Back