Considering Travis Browne didn't know how to

Because everyone else in the heavyweight division lacks any real boxing form or defence. Imagine if JDS had good defence he'd be near untouchable. Boxing is only needed when everyone else has it. To bad that is untrue for MMA seeing as many of the top champions are not so well disversed in boxing. You'd be surprised what a proper hook can do for you in MMA. Fuk Jones doesn't even have a boxing game, it's basically non existent and he's a Top P4P fighter. You don't need punches to be successful.

Wtf. Bj penn had some of the best boxing in the history of the UFC

At the time.

He was pretty good with straights and jabs, and especially so against fighters that mostly used hooks. This was part of why he did as well as he did against GSP in their first fight and against Hughes in their last fight.

Because everyone else in the heavyweight division lacks any real boxing form or defence. Imagine if JDS had good defence he'd be near untouchable. Boxing is only needed when everyone else has it. To bad that is untrue for MMA seeing as many of the top champions are not so well disversed in boxing. You'd be surprised what a proper hook can do for you in MMA. Fuk Jones doesn't even have a boxing game, it's basically non existent and he's a Top P4P fighter. You don't need punches to be successful.

Fully committing to boxing defence in MMA is pointless. It opens up your susceptibility to takedowns and can overall fuck your game.

Some of the biggest no no's in boxing are necessary evils in MMA. If you have the movement, reflexes and skills to do it; lower hands will be far more beneficial to the striker.

I don't know if BJ had poor striking technique per se. I do think that his boxing was always overrated when mentioned as "the best in MMA" like it was for awhile there.

I think that came from a misquote of Freddie Roach who had meant to praise the boxing skills, and particularly the jab, of KJ Noons.

He doesn't need punches.
Travis-Browne-KOs-Josh-Barnett-in-the-1st-of-UFC-168.gif

travis-browne-2.gif

Throw that superman punch on Struve in there as well. It's just Edmund blowing smoke up his own ass.

Fully committing to boxing defence in MMA is pointless. It opens up your susceptibility to takedowns and can overall fuck your game.

Some of the biggest no no's in boxing are necessary evils in MMA. If you have the movement, reflexes and skills to do it; lower hands will be far more beneficial to the striker.

Aldo laughs at this claim.

But seriously if JDS learned to move his head the slightest or cut angles or even a bit of footwork it would truly help his game. He is a hard dude already to takedown and the fact that no one is throwing flying knees or high kicks in the HW division. It is much more beneficial to learn some basic headmovement and footwork. That goes for anybody. There is a time and place for every technique and there is a time place not to use it. You don't go into a bout with Cub relying heavily on headmovement.

You don't need punches to be successful.

I'd say it's pretty hard to win a fight without punching. It's more appropriate to say one doesn't need good boxing skills to be succesful, which is obviously true.

Ultimately boxing is its own sport, and what is effective or necessary in boxing is not necessarily so in MMA, though there is quite a lot that is.

I'd say it's pretty hard to win a fight without punching. It's more appropriate to say one doesn't need good boxing skills to be succesful, which is obviously true.

Ultimately boxing is its own sport, and what is effective or necessary in boxing is not necessarily so in MMA, though there is quite a lot that is.

Well yah obviously.

Load of fighters with awful boxing skills who made it far

Maybe he has a Mark Hunt chin that everyone is trying to make a name off of?

It's not that Browne couldn't throw throw decent punches, Edmond is just politely saying he's the Michael Jordan of striking.

Because the level of striking in mma is generally extremely poor anyway. In addition to this, having 4 oz gloves allows you to be an effective striker with athleticism alone.

Boxing in mma needs to be tailored for mma. A lot of these boxing coaches come out and try to get the fighter to box like a boxer and they get fucking killed.

MMA striking is different. The gloves are smaller, the distance is different, the dangers are different.

I'm sure an American boxing coach would train Fedor to punch differently than he developed his style in mma to be. It wouldn't be as successful.

Yeah sure, after several years with Winklejohn he didn't know how to punch, yet Edmund Nobodyan solved it all in weeks... :rolleyes:

According to his new coach Edmond he didn't even know how to properly throw his punches....So my question is how the heck was he doing so well with raw skills alone?

Freddie Roach and Shogun said the exact same thing in an interview before the...second Hendo fight.

Boxing in mma needs to be tailored for mma. A lot of these boxing coaches come out and try to get the fighter to box like a boxer and they get fucking killed.

MMA striking is different. The gloves are smaller, the distance is different, the dangers are different.

I'm sure an American boxing coach would train Fedor to punch differently than he developed his style in mma to be. It wouldn't be as successful.

I think you're right on this. King Mo started striking more like a boxer and fighting more out of a boxing stance instead of his wrestling stance and he gets KOed and is doing worse and worse. IMO his decline can be linked directly to changing his boxing trainer.

Sometimes boxing trainers don't know what works and what doesn't work in MMA.

Back