Considering Travis Browne didn't know how to

gspfedkobe24

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
According to his new coach Edmond he didn't even know how to properly throw his punches....So my question is how the heck was he doing so well with raw skills alone?

Since when has there been a correlation between correct technique and success? Just look at how Wanderlei or Shogun winged their punches. Not the correct technique but they were effective and they had success with them. Sometimes power/speed/timing can make up for technical errors.

So our Sherdog lexicon (Motivated Penn, etc) can now add "Fundamentally Sound Browne"?

According to his new coach Edmond he didn't even know how to properly throw his punches....So my question is how the heck was he doing so well with raw skills alone?

Every new coach to a fighter says these kind of things. Another way to build there own egos.

He doesn't need punches.
Travis-Browne-KOs-Josh-Barnett-in-the-1st-of-UFC-168.gif

travis-browne-2.gif

BJ also had a poor striking technick... But the explosiveness, ko power and killer instinct get him to the higher level...

The clinic that Rory and Nick put on him wasn't only because age/size... He got heavily outclassed...

Many professional fighters are not technically perfect in their strikes.

A punch thrown by a ~250lb athletic freak doesn't have to be perfect to starch someone.

BJ also had a poor striking technick... But the explosiveness, ko power and killer instinct get him to the higher level...

The clinic that Rory and Nick put on him wasn't only because age/size... He got heavily outclassed...

I don't know if BJ had poor striking technique per se. I do think that his boxing was always overrated when mentioned as "the best in MMA" like it was for awhile there.

He still doesnt know how to shut up though.

We're talking about fighting.

You don't need to be an athlete or skilled to fight.

Hell Jon Jones is sloppy and awkward as hell too and he's the best fighter the sport has ever seen.

The diaz fight was only because of poor cardio. The first round wasn't bad for Bj.

We're talking about fighting.

You don't need to be an athlete or skilled to fight.

Nah you need a good cross section of the two.

Either you're athletic enough to make it not matter or you're skilled enough to be unathletic.

Everybody already said the right answer, I guess Sherdog can be smart once in a while after all.

You don't have to be technical to be effective.

Jackson-Winkeljohn tandem + shallow HW division.

Edmond is a weasel who talks garbage to make himself look better.

Back