Conor needs to use the tools we haven’t seen in a bit

He's never been a leg kicker (or body kicker) or a combination striker. He relies on one punch.

Also, the only time he's used leg kicks - against nate - he walked out on crutches.
Hes never been a combination striker?

Notice the parallelism? The only way you could mistake that I'm talking about Conor is to read the thread title without reading my post fully and assume I'm talking about Conor.

Which seems to be what you did
As I said leave it and see. It's all good by me.

As I said leave it and see. It's all good by me.

You are right in a sense, a good 60% of Sherdog reads the thread title and only skims posts without reading anything fully before responding, so they're also likely to make the same mistake.

That stabbing front kick works fine on shorter fighters. He doesn't want to trade leg kicks because Cerrone checks leg kicks better than most.

No its called telling the truth.

I got yellow for bringing up the truth - and the mods here in the heavies white knight guys who assault the elderly and women in hotel rooms.
Conor used to use a teep to the body very consistently. The fact that you've said he has never been a body kicker is explicitly untrue.

Conor used to use a teep to the body very consistently. The fact that you've said he has never been a body kicker is explicitly untrue.
You are correct. From teeps to Mendes to spinning back kicks and round house body kicks to siver. His kicking game to the body is on point.

This just aint so. This is a canard just like the myth that Conor has no cardio and a terrible ground game.

He has shown tremendous combinations, like in the Brimage fight, Holloway fight, Buchinger fight, both Nate fights, a host of earlier fights, had a hellbow finish vs O'Keefe, excellent striking from his guard versus Mendes and showed a very effective jab in his boxing match vs Mayweather when he needed it. He has shown very competent grappling in the Holloway fight, Diaz 1 fight w/ his esoteric Ashi Garami sweep, sub over Dave Hill, smooth full mount take vs Siver and TDD/clinch work in other fights. Conor uses what he needs when he needs it, he has a very high fight IQ (tho not given credit) and this is precisely why he introduced the very effective leg kicks to the Diaz fight, the teep kicks to the Chad fight, a near wheel kick KO vs Brandao, using capoeira kicks to move opponents in to his finishing shot, so you really can't say 'he only has a left' when he has shown he has more, and you can't blame him for knocking out guys like Aldo in one punch.

He has proven he is a complete martial artist & this canard that he is one trick pony, the Bob Sapp of featherweight/lightweight, simply did not appear until he started KO'ing everyone in seconds. If you have been around long enough, you'd know that Conor was considered the heir to GSP when he was on the rise, a total and complete mixed martial artist that was pushing the game forward, and this is largely how Jack Slack became so popular by breaking down what Conor was doing. Since the Diaz 1 fight he has become much more 'efficient' and focused on the areas where he has extreme potency, and one single loss versus Khabib after a long layoff does not change the facts, nor does Jake Shields getting subbed by Paul Harris mean he has poor BJJ or Cain gassing vs Doom mean he has poor cardio.
Its 2020 man . Your bringing up fights from 5-7 years ago. Conor was never considered the heir to GSP what planet did you live on. The fact of the matter is, since beating Aldo in 2015 weve seen him fight Nate Eddie Floyd and Khabib. 3 of those guys finished him, and we have more then enough footage between those fights to not give a flying fuck about his fights with Max Holloway and Deigo Brandao 7 years ago.

Its 2020 man . Your bringing up fights from 5-7 years ago. Conor was never considered the heir to GSP what planet did you live on. The fact of the matter is, since beating Aldo in 2015 weve seen him fight Nate Eddie Floyd and Khabib. 3 of those guys finished him, and we have more then enough footage between those fights to not give a flying fuck about his fights with Max Holloway and Deigo Brandao 7 years ago.
http://fightland.vice.com/blog/jack-slack-conor-mcgregor-is-the-future-of-mixed-martial-arts

You think I just made that up? Conor was absolutely considered to be the future of MMA at one point, and I repeat: this canard that he is a one trick pony did not start until after he became 'mystic Mac' and was finishing guys early, namely fan favorites like Aldo that triggered snowflakes and turned them into retard haters. Did you watch the Holloway fight? He was doing capoeira shit into take downs, behind the leg teep kicks, experimenting all over the place and showed cardio and grappling while doing it.

What does anything that you later say have to do with anything that I said about Conor proving that he was more than a left hand? Did you read my post, mate, or just get triggered by words like "next GSP" (something I did not come up if you read the article)? What does losing a boxing match vs May have to do with anything?!? Sounds like you are exactly the type of person that I referred to, boring AF and totally incapable of having a rational discussion about Conor's skills because you don't like him. You think he forget how to throw a jab, leg kick or an uppercut with his right hand? Conor showed he was a complete fighter at UFC 202, albeit more centered around his bread and butter, and has had exactly 2 fights since then: one fight he steam rolled Eddy, shut off the take down, won the clinch, boxed him up with just more than a left, and then got wrestled by Khabib after a lengthy layoff. The way your ilk makes it sound is like his right hand, kick game, movement, fight IQ and positioning play absolutely no roll in his success with the left hand, and that all you have to do is make it past the three minute mark ducking his left and he will gas and tap. Its boring and adds nothing to the conversation, right up there with Hitto's genius additions of sh!t posts and memes of Conor tapping while adults are trying to have a discussion.

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/jack-slack-conor-mcgregor-is-the-future-of-mixed-martial-arts

You think I just made that up? Conor was absolutely considered to be the future of MMA at one point, and I repeat: this canard that he is a one trick pony did not start until after he became 'mystic Mac' and was finishing guys early, namely fan favorites like Aldo that triggered snowflakes and turned them into retard haters. Did you watch the Holloway fight? He was doing capoeira shit into take downs, behind the leg teep kicks, experimenting all over the place and showed cardio and grappling while doing it.

What does anything that you later say have to do with anything that I said about Conor proving that he was more than a left hand? Did you read my post, mate, or just get triggered by words like "next GSP" (something I did not come up if you read the article)? What does losing a boxing match vs May have to do with anything?!? Sounds like you are exactly the type of person that I referred to, boring AF and totally incapable of having a rational discussion about Conor's skills because you don't like him. You think he forget how to throw a jab, leg kick or an uppercut with his right hand? Conor showed he was a complete fighter at UFC 202, albeit more centered around his bread and butter, and has had exactly 2 fights since then: one fight he steam rolled Eddy, shut off the take down, won the clinch, boxed him up with just more than a left, and then got wrestled by Khabib after a lengthy layoff. The way your ilk makes it sound is like his right hand, kick game, movement, fight IQ and positioning play absolutely no roll in his success with the left hand, and that all you have to do is make it past the three minute mark ducking his left and he will gas and tap. Its boring and adds nothing to the conversation, right up there with Hitto's genius additions of sh!t posts and memes of Conor tapping while adults are trying to have a discussion.
And you didnt read my post either . Ill repeat, its 2020. You went and brought up another point from a fight from 7 years ago. That conor is long gone. Age, wear and tear , injuries , lifestyle all play a factor . Hes had plenty of time to show it in that time. Are you going to actually say you saw anything impressive or new from conor in the khabib fight that made you say "wow he seems to be getting better". Does he look more atheltic now ? In better shape ? Are we supposed to believe hes putting in the same work he did 5 years ago ? Be honest with yourself. Your dreaming.

I’m just hanging for this fight already, been too long without a UFC card.

He used to do a sweet flying switch TKD kick a lot(I'm not a native english speaker) I'd love to see him try that kick again, it was very effective imo

And you didnt read my post either . Ill repeat, its 2020. You went and brought up another point from a fight from 7 years ago. That conor is long gone. Age, wear and tear , injuries , lifestyle all play a factor . Hes had plenty of time to show it in that time. Are you going to actually say you saw anything impressive or new from conor in the khabib fight that made you say "wow he seems to be getting better". Does he look more atheltic now ? In better shape ? Are we supposed to believe hes putting in the same work he did 5 years ago ? Be honest with yourself. Your dreaming.
I did read your post and responded with 'do you think he forgot how to throw a jab, leg kick or uppercut with his right hand' (which I don't feel) and evidenced proof from his 2/3 of his most recent fights, including the Eddie and Diaz fights that supports he is more than a left hand. If Conor was even just hands, had no clinch intelligence or other assets, he would've ended up a turtle like James Tony, but instead he fought the take downs, largely won the clinches, introduced tricky feints to land the left hand and leg kicked Diaz's leg off.

You say 'that Conor is gone', but based upon what? None of us haver any idea where he is. You might as well say Dustin sucks everywhere because he got more rag dolled by Khabib. Am I inclined to believe Conor is diminished in some ways? Yes. Does that mean he is a one trick pony? No. We just don't have a wealth of immediate data to work with, as Aldo was just 5 fights away from the present, and I don't think it's a stretch to assume, even if rusty, he has many of the same assets he shown long ago. For all we know, he might be better than ever, as he is still in his athletic prime and we've no idea what he has been doing aside from rumors.

You can not become a two division champ in the most stacked divisions by being a singular trick pony. Every asset a top level MMA needs Conor has shown. A brown belt SHOULD get out grappled by a high level black tho, and that does not mean he has a poor ground game. If Jordan loses 1 on 1 to Lebron, it does not mean he sucks either. I personally think he looks good now, certainly better than before the Siver fight, the Khabib fight and the Mendes fight(s). I liked the foot work I saw in his work out, loved the energy he had, tho not crazy about his new shell style/boxer frame that he seems to have picked up after the May fight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back