Conor McGregor = Barry Lyndon

I think that's a common experience. People want to associate themselves with something great, but never actually get around to doing anything about it. Personally I never watched Citizen Kane until I took a history of film class at the local college and it was a mandatory part of the course work. I thought it was deserving of all the accolades even though it was not the type of film I normally watch. Really too bad it wrecked Orson Welles career.

This movie and it;s impact on Kubrick was like that in a sense. Both Welles and Kubrick put everything they had into these masterpieces and when they weren't immediately successful, they became disheartened and forever changed. That generally seems to be the case with alot of artists thru out history, they put so much of themselves into something, hoping the world will understand their vision, and when they find out the world has no desire to, they are left devastated. Atleast Kubrick was able to move with the punches and make changes to his style while keeping his artistic integrity.....poor Wells, he just got fat AF and never really directed anything of note after.

Citizen Kane was one of those films that every film maker I respected spoke volumes about how awesome it was but I never really got it. So, I watched it a few times and finally I got it. One lesson I've learned: usually when people are masters of a craft and they speak really well about something and one doesn't get it/agree immediately, the problem usually lies with the viewer and their approach to viewing said object rather than the object itself. So many of the best things in life aren't instantaneously gratifying but well worth the wait, time and effort once you give it a shot.

Are you trying to say that Aldo will destroy Conor's leg with low kicks?

HAHA...could be! But realistically, I see Conor's demise coming a bit later. Whatever the outcome of his career/life, I do really wish him all the best. It just seems to be the case with every person (esp fighters) that the higher they rise, the further they fall. Anderson probably rose higher than any MMA fighter ever and look at where he is now - arguably the most humiliating downfall ever. Look at boxing and Ali, yeah he achieved greatness, but was all the brain damage worth it? JJ beat DC, but do you think he wouldn't like trading places with him now?

It just seems everyone always gets on these hype trains and thinks that because "person X" achieved something great, they win @ life and that their life will always be great from now until forever. It all reminds me of this quote from Charlie Wilson' War:
There's a little boy and on his 14th birthday he gets a horse... and everybody in the village says, "how wonderful. The boy got a horse" And the Zen master says, "we'll see." Two years later, the boy falls off the horse, breaks his leg, and everyone in the village says, "How terrible." And the Zen master says, "We'll see." Then, a war breaks out and all the young men have to go off and fight... except the boy can't cause his legs all messed up. and everybody in the village says, "How wonderful."
Charlie Wilson: Now the Zen master says, "We'll see."

What do you guys think? I cannot help but see the parallels between these two from their Irish upbringing, rise from obscurity, their fighting gifts, taste for life's finer things and an uncompromising will that seems to be destined for tragedy. From the bright eyed bushy tailed kid on welfare that joined the UFC, to the pale, millionaire, sickly looking Richard Harris character that just beat Chad Mendes, I can't help but feel that Conor is on a very similar path as Redmond Barry was after he acquired vast wealth and the title 'Barry Lyndon'.

For those that haven't seen the movie, I strongly suggest viewing it. Stanley Kubrick is widely considered to be GOAT director and this movie was his magnum opus....the cinematography, photography, music, symmetry and ambiance are arguably the finest ever put to film. I just revisited the film for the first time in years and thought "my God, this is an 18th century Conor McGregor". History, and life in general, has a way of repeating itself again and again, telling the same stories over and over again and I can't help but notice the striking similarities between Barry Lyndon and Conor. Certainly a great watch and some fun food for thought if you have some free time on your hands.

How do you do, Mr.Daddy?

You really think an average Shertard is able to appreciate Barry Lyndon? Its my all time favourite movie and I would never even try to discuss about it on Sherdog. With people like us, we must be able to think better than our fellow Shertards.

Nevertheless, I liked some of the comparison`s you made. Good day, Mr.Daddy.

One of the best movies ever made in my opinion, together with A clockwork orange and In Bruges. Yes it might be a little slow, but it's never boring, i watched it the first time when i was like 15 or so and even then i loved it and was never bored. And the music is awesome.

and the comparison with Conor is not completely of the grid

This movie and it;s impact on Kubrick was like that in a sense. Both Welles and Kubrick put everything they had into these masterpieces and when they weren't immediately successful, they became disheartened and forever changed. That generally seems to be the case with alot of artists thru out history, they put so much of themselves into something, hoping the world will understand their vision, and when they find out the world has no desire to, they are left devastated. Atleast Kubrick was able to move with the punches and make changes to his style while keeping his artistic integrity.....poor Wells, he just got fat AF and never really directed anything of note after.

Citizen Kane was one of those films that every film maker I respected spoke volumes about how awesome it was but I never really got it. So, I watched it a few times and finally I got it. One lesson I've learned: usually when people are masters of a craft and they speak really well about something and one doesn't get it/agree immediately, the problem usually lies with the viewer and their approach to viewing said object rather than the object itself. So many of the best things in life aren't instantaneously gratifying but well worth the wait, time and effort once you give it a shot.

F.F. Coppola almost killed himself while making Apocolypse Now. That just says how much it means to them.. True artists.

zx4jVOw.jpg

The cinematography in that movie is unreal. This does not look like a still shot from a film. Also an amazing soundtrack, and the implementation of the music is really effective.

I don't know what the hell you're talking about though
Tell me dats not Conor and his mates now! Hiding out in the Dolphins Barn crack den, all messed, waiting for trial.

Did Barry Lyndon also rape someone and do huge lines of coke?

Did Barry Lyndon also rape someone and do huge lines of coke?
I believe he did rape a bunch of chicks that were his staff, and tho coke was not around, he was big on snuff and anything else he could get his hands on. Alcohol has always been the real killer of men tho. You should watch the movie, the resemblance is uncanny in a way: good looking Irish guy who uses his boxing/fighting talents and charisma to transcend the social ladder; finally meets another Irish descendent guy (like Kav, or even Dana) on his trip who teaches him the tricks of the trade and uses Barry for his fighting skills to collect debts; meets a beautiful brunette who he marries and has a baby boy with - she also helps him and responsible for all the wealth he has (like Dee supporting Conor to train); as soon as the kid is born the wife sees Barry screwing around and turns a blind eye and gets depressed; Barry starts drinking more and slipping more in to the abyss; eventually he is in a lost duel where his leg has to be removed; he then goes back to Ireland to live out the rest of his days living with his mother in obscurity while deppressedly drinking and gambling.

3 years later and I still haven't gotten around to watching it. I suck.

Back