Conor McGregor = Barry Lyndon

BigDaddyBach

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What do you guys think? I cannot help but see the parallels between these two from their Irish upbringing, rise from obscurity, their fighting gifts, taste for life's finer things and an uncompromising will that seems to be destined for tragedy. From the bright eyed bushy tailed kid on welfare that joined the UFC, to the pale, millionaire, sickly looking Richard Harris character that just beat Chad Mendes, I can't help but feel that Conor is on a very similar path as Redmond Barry was after he acquired vast wealth and the title 'Barry Lyndon'.

For those that haven't seen the movie, I strongly suggest viewing it. Stanley Kubrick is widely considered to be GOAT director and this movie was his magnum opus....the cinematography, photography, music, symmetry and ambiance are arguably the finest ever put to film. I just revisited the film for the first time in years and thought "my God, this is an 18th century Conor McGregor". History, and life in general, has a way of repeating itself again and again, telling the same stories over and over again and I can't help but notice the striking similarities between Barry Lyndon and Conor. Certainly a great watch and some fun food for thought if you have some free time on your hands.

[YT]watch?v=9lzSoKOs1fc[/YT]

This is one of those movies that I have on my list, but can never bring myself to watch.

zx4jVOw.jpg

The cinematography in that movie is unreal. This does not look like a still shot from a film. Also an amazing soundtrack, and the implementation of the music is really effective.

I don't know what the hell you're talking about though

LOL

Never thought about that, but you're actually not wrong, TS.

I wonder if Conor also wanted to marry his cousin, and that's how he somehow ended up in a MMA gym?

This is one of those movies that I have on my list, but can never bring myself to watch.

Definitely check it out. The pacing can be slow to some but I think it's absolutely hypnotic. In fact, when I first saw it about 15 years ago, I was so captivated, mystified and moved by the whole experience that I said to myself "this is what I want to do with my life". Since then, I dedicated my life to becoming a composer of music for film. Ridley Scott was also moved in such a way by this film and clearly reflected this (or more like mimicked) in his first movie "The Duellists" (another great watch).

Additionally, I think the lead female character 'Lady Lyndon' is filmed/captured in such a way that she comes across as beautiful as any woman has ever looked. This movie is so pleasing on so many fronts, definitely give it a try when you get a chance.

Same.

I think it's "one of those movies".

Like Citizen Cain (yeah, mma related play of words...!)

You know it's a great movie, and you obviously like those, and you would like to believe you're into "serious, important, critically acclaimed movies" - but you CANNOT fucking bring yourself to watch it.

zx4jVOw.jpg

The cinematography in that movie is unreal. This does not look like a still shot from a film. Also an amazing soundtrack, and the implementation of the music is really effective.

I don't know what the hell you're talking about though

Yeah that shot is unbelievable....it is more like walking thru a museum than watching a movie.

In terms of what I am talking about, the parallels between the two: Barry was a poor obscure Irish guy who climbed the social ladder thru his cunning, good looks and charisma but mostly the ability to wield a sword and duel. In fact, Ryan O'Neal got the part of Barry Lyndon because he was a great boxer (I think even maybe a golden gloves champ). Barry climbed to the top but fell in love with riches and the excesses in life (like Conor appears to be doing) and it eventually led to a kind of insanity and his eventual demise.

There are differences, of course, but I feel there are also striking similarities between the character Barry Lyndon and the person Conor McGregor. Hopefully Conor doesn't meet the same exact fate as Barry and lose his leg, we will save that comparison for Anderson Silva :) After all, 18th century duelists were, in essence, what prize fighters are today.

Same.

You know it's a great movie, and you obviously like those, and you would like to believe you're into "serious, important, critically acclaimed movies" - but you CANNOT fucking bring yourself to watch it.

Barry Lyndon is plenty enjoyable on a surface level. The story is great and it's beautiful just from an audiovisual standpoint. You'd do well to take a break between acts though, it's a massive film.

Yeah that shot is unbelievable....it is more like walking thru a museum than watching a movie.

In terms of what I am talking about, the parallels between the two: Barry was a poor obscure Irish guy who climbed the social ladder thru his cunning, good looks and charisma but mostly the ability to wield a sword and duel. In fact, Ryan O'Neal got the part of Barry Lyndon because he was a great boxer (I think even maybe a golden gloves champ). Barry climbed to the top but fell in love with riches and the excesses in life (like Conor appears to be doing) and it eventually led to a kind of insanity and his eventual demise.

There are differences, of course, but I feel there are also striking similarities between the character Barry Lyndon and the person Conor McGregor. Hopefully Conor doesn't meet the same exact fate as Barry and lose his leg, we will save that comparison for Anderson Silva :) After all, 18th century duelists were, in essence, what prize fighters are today.

I wouldn't say Conor is falling to excess, it's more of a deliberate move to promote his persona. I guess there is also some similarity in Conor running away from home when he was a teenager, aside from the obvious fact they're both Irish.

let it stay on your list...I watched nearly 2-3 months ago and nothing special

I wouldn't say Conor is falling to excess, it's more of a deliberate move to promote his persona. I guess there is also some similarity in Conor running away from home when he was a teenager, aside from the obvious fact they're both Irish.

You could be right, I hope you are. I guess I just can't help but see the Conor that originally fought Brimage and the Conor that fought Mendes and think 'something is progressively getting worse'. I hope it is just that weight cut was difficult due to injury but he definitely appears to be becoming more drawn out and worn as time goes by.

Also, Conor learned to fight because he got jumped by a jilted former lover from his ex-gf. In Barry's case, he started his journey after getting in a fight over his girl. Both would have never climbed thru the ranks had it not been for an altercation over an early love.

Same.

I think that's a common experience. People want to associate themselves with something great, but never actually get around to doing anything about it. Personally I never watched Citizen Kane until I took a history of film class at the local college and it was a mandatory part of the course work. I thought it was deserving of all the accolades even though it was not the type of film I normally watch. Really too bad it wrecked Orson Welles career.

I love Barry Lyndon. It's an amazing movie, and it's also hillarious in it's own way.

I mean, it's slow paced and all (people can definitely watch it in two sittings) but still both funny and enjoyable, in a very weird way. I also enjoy how the narrator's not wholly reliable. Also, Barry's a complete asshole, but it takes a little while before you realize that.

If you want to watch it, but keep putting it off, take a look at the opening scene and you'll get a pretty good idea of its tone.

I see no value in the Conor comparison, though.

Are you trying to say that Aldo will destroy Conor's leg with low kicks?

Don't have time to watch Barry Lyndon. Not when there are so many Adam Sandler films out there that i could watch. Still haven't seen Jack & Jill, as if this will jump the queue.

let it stay on your list...I watched nearly 2-3 months ago and nothing special

Well, it all depends what one you are into. I certainly wouldn't say it is a good movie to watch with a group or would, nor would it be entertaining to those with attention spans or the emotional depth of teaspoon...but characterizing it as "nothing special" is a mischaracterization of epic proportion. Saying something like that is akin to saying "Beethoven's 9th symphony sucks" or "Michelangelo's fresco are nothing special". The movie is a true work of art and like all great works or art, it takes time to take in and your undivided attention. It is not propelled by gags, cheap tricks or CGI.

Two of the greatest/most influential directors of our time, Martin Scorsese and Ridley Scott, think it to be one of the greatest films ever made. The most revered film critic ever in Roger Ebert said it was the 'most beautiful film ever shot' and it is generally always on movie list's top 100's. Owing to it's length and pacing, it was originally met with a weak public/popular reception, but aren't most great works of art?

It's historical significance can't be denied either, for being the first film being shot with a NASA lens and leading to moon hoax conspiracies like the one I have attached. It's initial failure disheartened Kubrick to the point where he vowed never to put so much effort and passion into a film again. He became convinced (and w/ good reason as your comment indicates), the public needed vulgar thrills like blood, horror, violence and nudity, thus leading to a style change which produced The Shining, A Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut.[YT]watch?v=26EicKfNYPg[/YT]

Well, it all depends what one you are into. I certainly wouldn't say it is a good movie to watch with a group or would, nor would it be entertaining to those with attention spans or the emotional depth of teaspoon...but characterizing it as "nothing special" is a mischaracterization of epic proportion. Saying something like that is akin to saying "Beethoven's 9th symphony sucks" or "Michelangelo's fresco are nothing special". The movie is a true work of art and like all great works or art, it takes time to take in and your undivided attention. It is not propelled by gags, cheap tricks or CGI.

Two of the greatest/most influential directors of our time, Martin Scorsese and Ridley Scott, think it to be one of the greatest films ever made. The most revered film critic ever in Roger Ebert said it was the 'most beautiful film ever shot' and it is generally always on movie list's top 100's. Owing to it's length and pacing, it was originally met with a weak public/popular reception, but aren't most great works of art?

It's historical significance can't be denied either, for being the first film being shot with a NASA lens and leading to moon hoax conspiracies like the one I have attached. It's initial failure disheartened Kubrick to the point where he vowed never to put so much effort and passion into a film again. He became convinced (and w/ good reason as your comment indicates), the public needed vulgar thrills like blood, horror, violence and nudity, thus leading to a style change which produced The Shining, A Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut.[YT]watch?v=26EicKfNYPg[/YT]

I dont care about the facts I like Scarface Godfather Donnie Brasco etc...

Back