Media Conor benching with bumper plates and doing 20lb dumbbell flys

Benchpress is a useless exercise for mma. It's only for looks.

Conor confirmed gonna get knocked the fuck out again.
That's not exactly true. On it's own I agree it doesn't do much for punching power. But using it while training striking can and does add power. Old USSR research papers found a pretty big correlation between their Karateka's 1 rep max and their punching power. This is while testing guys that were on a national level in karate, their primary focus was karate not bench press. A lot of combat athletes use bench press in their training routine. It's a risky lift to do heavy, I don't think they're doing it for shits and giggles.

I know. I've been through a fight camp (amateur), but it's not as hard as you think with proper programming.

Also, we have zero idea when he actually took those pics. Could be from before the camp even started.

Could be just a warming up first set.

This is not heavy lifting. That weight would only benefit muscular endurance which may be a need for Conor tbh.

Right... so like dumbbell flies with 20lbs or benching 145lbs? Noone would consider what Conor is doing in either picture as "heavy lifting"

I wasn't talking about McGregor and his lifting.
I was talking about hard lifting (e.g. 3 deadlifts of 5 squats) and I was replying to someone.

What McGregor did in those photos was either endurance or warm up set.
Edit: or, like someone said, he was just doing it to take a photo.

Last edited:
You guys realize this is probably just posed for the photos and not a real workout right? I don't like conor but calm down

The average Sherdogger could incline bench Conor with one hand and Dee with the other for reps. Throw Conor Junior in there if you need to make both sides equal (Dee is probably heavier than Conor at this point).

maxresdefault.jpg
I feel like we're going to get a Hans Molenkamp picture with flyweights

There

And Fury's bench press is just amazing
Also, great form on his deadlift

He hits hard at 155 as well. The sound of the shots landing on Dustins chin confirms it. Im amazed Dustin took those so well. I think alot of dudes in the division would go down from those.
You know dustin had to stay on his feet, that was a pure mental toughness joke like nate did, but the shots were super hard no doubt..

That's not exactly true. On it's own I agree it doesn't do much for punching power. But using it while training striking can and does add power. Old USSR research papers found a pretty big correlation between their Karateka's 1 rep max and their punching power. This is while testing guys that were on a national level in karate, their primary focus was karate not bench press. A lot of combat athletes use bench press in their training routine. It's a risky lift to do heavy, I don't think they're doing it for shits and giggles.

the goat mma fighter GSP disagrees

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/12...rges-st-pierre-i-dont-believe-in-strength-and

Lifting lighter weight with more reps helps muscle endurance.

Connor needs that.

You guys are meatheads that can't scratch your elbow.

https://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/...nship_between_bench_press_strength_and.3.aspx
Science disagrees bruh.
"Results encourage coaches and trainers to use BP exercise with high loads (i.e., 80% of 1RM) because this could be a reliable predictor of performance during the specific boxing action."
GSP also did flat bench press
You don't do an exercise that has a high chance of tearing your pec as a professional athlete if you want your chest to look nice.

He's not doing safe bodybuilding pump work here. He is doing explosive powerlifting and gymnastics.

Guys that have shit bench press often downplay bench press. Bench press is a good upper body exercise to develop power and strength, it's just dangerous.

Last edited:
Always shocks me how shit 90% of mma fighters strength and conditioning training is. If it wasn't for the rampant gear use and insane work loads they'd all just look like DYELs
That's obviously not the weight he really use...so obvious.....

Back