Conflict Between Career and Training

Disagree. I've seen three bad injuries with beginners not realizing when to tap or over doing it on a submission (IE, breaking someones arm and shoulder by mistake). About three weeks ago, I destroyed a beginners elbow when he tried to roll out of an arm bar.

I think it takes some time for them to understand the art.

I agree with ur view, my gracie school does the samethign they dont let you roll until u get 32 newbie classes. This cuts out the spazzes and newbs that dont know wtf their doing and dont know how to tap or relax. I don't know about you, i rather not roll with spazzes every time its time to roll.

I am an IT professional, and work for a large corp, where business casual dress code is enforced, so i would imagine walking around with black eyes or whatever wouldnt be good.

What i suggest is, either tell your partner who u spar with to take it easy, or wear head gear that covers most of your face. And you can always go to that BJJ school, 20 classes isnt a big deal, and its only for your own good if you never rolled before.

If you're the assistant head honcho then the kids already probably have rumors/nicknames/a general dislike about you anyway if they're going to have it at all.

If you're the assistant head honcho then the kids already probably have rumors/nicknames/a general dislike about you anyway if they're going to have it at all.

I work in the financial field, and let's just say that it doesn't fit very well to advise a client about millions with a bruise on ur face.

That's why I grapple and stopped sparring MMA. At least with rolling u get occasional face bruises. Not chronical ones.

U have to make some choices in life. A lot of time, having a good career doesn't mix too well with many aspects of MMA.

Park Ranger, my schedule allows me to train 6 days a week.

It may be tough getting a reply, as he's pretty busy, but go to Rich Franklin's site and fire off this question to him. He taught high school math during his first few years fighting MMA. I heard he had some of the same troubles you're describing with some of the other faculty. He might have some good advice.

thats on you, not the noob. he doesnt know when to tap, you should let him go. maybe the school should make its vets pay for 20 classes on how to roll with a noob

I have to half way disagree with you on this. Yes as a more experienced person we should keep an eye out but noobs do some really unpredictable things. I can't count how many times I've switched from a triange to armbar only to have the noob just suddenly start try to stand up rip their arm out Sometimes you just can't react fast enough to protect them from their own inexperience.

20 classes seems a bit much but I do believe that new people should be eased into full on sparring not just thrown into the mix day one.

The kids will only respect you more if they know you train..
Be a principle the kids want to be like, that the kids look up to... not another deushe bag that just wears glasses, sits in an office and looks miserable 90% of the time

300 spartans didnt follow Leonidas to the hot gates because he was a pussy ass principle that was scared of kids gossiping, and wore make up to conceal his second life.

If you quit training you should get a sex change and start going by the name Kayla Buggins

lol

As much as I love training, I love getting a paycheck even more, and I don't want my career hindered by black eyes and bruises (kids gossip in case some of you didn't know).
It is hard when you have this kind of job. I also have a higher education and had to make the choice bewteen career and hobby. I decided to make my hobby into my passion and quit the close to 6-figure yearly salary job in order to start my own academy. However, in my case my wife makes the same salary I used to so I really didn't lose out too bad. At first it was a financial strain and a big adustment on what we could do with our incomes, but I am living out my dream. What else could you ask for?

Hmmm, there's got to be something you can do to minimize face bruises, some of the other people's advice sounds good.

As for noobs rolling, I think they can roll after 3-4 classes. I often get paired up with complete noobs, and now the first thing I cover is when and how to tap out, and I go over basic subs.

Since I only train BJJ, I don't get bruises on my face. However, my arms and legs are typically covered in bruises. No one seems to notice though, even though I'm a lifeguard.

I have to half way disagree with you on this. Yes as a more experienced person we should keep an eye out but noobs do some really unpredictable things. I can't count how many times I've switched from a triange to armbar only to have the noob just suddenly start try to stand up rip their arm out Sometimes you just can't react fast enough to protect them from their own inexperience.

20 classes seems a bit much but I do believe that new people should be eased into full on sparring not just thrown into the mix day one.

The noob should have to be doing something pretty darn crazy to "wreck" his elbow though. I've had spazs pop their elbows a little, but I'd have to be completely oblivious not to be able to release at that point.

Career pays for classes, career wins.

Back