Conflict Between Career and Training

Muscleshart

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know that there are threads on this, but honestly there are threads on everything, so we eventually have to bring something back up.

I've been wondering about how people balance their careers with training? I train MMA. I have tried every school in the area, and this is a fantastic gym. I love it, but I am now an assistant principal at an elementary school. Since moving to this job I have been limited in my time to train, but more than that I can't get beat up and come to work the next day. I had to put makeup on from hammer fists the other day.

I'm considering not training anymore. Before I get flamed, I LOVE GRAPPLING/MMA. I especially love grappling. I left a crappy grappling gym to join my current gym, but their entire focus is MMA. As much as I love training, I love getting a paycheck even more, and I don't want my career hindered by black eyes and bruises (kids gossip in case some of you didn't know).

Anyway, this has turned way more into a thread about me, sorry about that. What do you guys think about it? I know there are some very educated people with demanding careers. I also know that MMA is very different from BJJ. I just didn't click with the BJJ school in my area. They wanted me to go to 20 classes before rolling.

I see nothing wrong with getting twenty classes before rolling. If you take your average joe off the street who knows nothing twenty classes sounds about right.

i'm in the same situation + social life/school/other hobbies. you need to prioritize... if your career is what is paying your gym membership then maybe the answer is your career. my first year in jiu-jitsu i trained hardcore since my classes were relatively easy and i lived close to my academy. i got my blue in 8 months. now my classes are way more intense and my academy is 30-40 mins away depending on traffic.

i wouldn't go as far as to say to stop training period, i at least try to hit the mat once or twice a week at the least during school semesters, but if your getting stressed out because of the time squeeze and getting frustrated then either change your mindset and consider yourself at a lesser level than most other people because of your situation so your not so hard on yourself or take a break. if you can live without training during that break then maybe you can live without it for good

Unless you plan to make a serious career out of fighting I think it safe to say "Just stay in school! " :D

I see nothing wrong with getting twenty classes before rolling. If you take your average joe off the street who knows nothing twenty classes sounds about right.

Twenty classes $170 month without MT. 32 minutes each way probably two times per week. It would take 10 weeks for me to roll one time. I've only done no gi, so I would be going in as a WB (no problem with that), but I would be rolling in the beginners class. He had one guy that would have been interesting to roll with. Everyone else would have been a waste of time.

I tried but I just couldn't get to the gym enough. I'm a single father of a 2 year old and I work about 60 hours a week though. I found myself only getting to the gym about once or twice a week. With all of the aspects of mma that is just not enough. I really wanted to, but I just didn't have the time. I plan on getting back into bjj if only for a couple times a week. It's better than nothing. Twenty classes is a touch much IMO. I rolled on the first night when I started bjj.

Think long-term. Those 20 classes aren't gong to feel like anything 2 years from now. I don't really like the idea of waiting that long, but frankly it's better than not training.
Another option would be to use headgear when training MMA. The fact that you're getting beat up so much is pretty concerning, especially considering that it doesn't sound like you've done it very long.

Luckily my career isn't very image-conscious and my family understands the need for me to train regularly (I get pretty cranky without training). Better yet I train every day at lunch. It's such a big benefit that I actually take it into account when considering changing jobs.

Principal?? I've been asked to become a principal at an Elementary school as well. It just wouldn't be for me. I love having my own classroom. After 11 years in second grade my class runs like a well oiled machine.

Being a principal or VP means you will spend a lot of time on campus. That doesn't give you much time to train.

I mainly do bjj and I get black eyes once and a while. The kids think it's funny. I talk about training all the time with them. Don't be ashamed. Wear sunglasses if it's really bad. Everybody loves a cool VP. (but you're a new VP...just reread)

I'm not trying to make you feel bad but I can train almost any night. In the summer I train all the time. My school is one mile from my house. My academy is 2 miles away.

Switch to the gentle art. Going 20 times before rolling is lame. Is that your only choice?

Best of luck. We need more teachers involved in this sport.

20 times before rolling is way too fucking much.

And also, would they even care if you had a black eye? Sounds like a real lame school where I wouldn't ever want to work. I can't imagine you having some bumps n bruises and them being upset about it at all if you just say, "Oh, I like to train MMA in my down time". Seems like you're making it out to be more than it is, from what I can tell.

Any school that makes you wait more than 2 or 3 classes to roll = fail.

Any school that makes you take 20+ classes before you roll = epic fail.

There's differing opinions on the issue, but I'm in support of the 'roll your first day' camp.

If you consistently get black eyes training, you may want to closely examine where you are training. But black eyes or not, they dont affect your job performance do they? No. If you are that worried about "rumors" spread your own. Let the rumor spread that you train "ultimate fighting" and I can guarantee your disciplinary skills will increase ten fold within a week of that one spreading.

Last I checked MMA is a legal activity. It would be different if you were coming to work with track marks or dirty clothes reeking of crack.

Yeah man, I own my own business and have some cauli ear and constantly have noticeable bruises. But, I really don't care. I get embarrassed sometimes, for example if I'm meeting with a client and have a black eye or something. I'll often apologize to them and explain that I train martial arts and make a joke of it. If they have a problem with that, then oh well. If people want to make assumptions, that fine, let them. You won't get fired for it. Personally, I care more about enjoying my life and pursuing my passions than I do about what my clients might think or kids may say. Besides, kids will probably respect you more once they find out you train "Ultimate Fighting"

I say just tell everybody you can as often as possible about your training and eventually nobody will even question your bumps and bruises.

I completely agree with most on here that you are probably making it into more of an issue than it is.

I always look a bit beat up and have a cauli. ear, but i just be up front and tell people the truth and they have no problem with it, and in most cases gives you something to talk about.

I know that there are threads on this, but honestly there are threads on everything, so we eventually have to bring something back up.

I've been wondering about how people balance their careers with training? I train MMA. I have tried every school in the area, and this is a fantastic gym. I love it, but I am now an assistant principal at an elementary school. Since moving to this job I have been limited in my time to train, but more than that I can't get beat up and come to work the next day. I had to put makeup on from hammer fists the other day.

I'm considering not training anymore. Before I get flamed, I LOVE GRAPPLING/MMA. I especially love grappling. I left a crappy grappling gym to join my current gym, but their entire focus is MMA. As much as I love training, I love getting a paycheck even more, and I don't want my career hindered by black eyes and bruises (kids gossip in case some of you didn't know).

Anyway, this has turned way more into a thread about me, sorry about that. What do you guys think about it? I know there are some very educated people with demanding careers. I also know that MMA is very different from BJJ. I just didn't click with the BJJ school in my area. They wanted me to go to 20 classes before rolling.

I totally understand, im an English teacher in Korea at the moment, its a peice of piss so I could train pretty much everyday if I wanted to. I don't really mind too much about scratches and bruises because I don't plan to make a career of it.

In September I have to go back to England and teach high school science. As you well know
its not a walk in the park, especially with all the paperwork and the kids behaviour being worse than in the past. Combine this with married life, I will be lucky if I could fit two days of training per week but mostly likely one, and possibly have to jack it in.

To be honest, I think you should think of your career and family life more than training. I know it feels awfull not being able to train, but some things in life are more important. You have a good position in your school and I wouldn't risk not getting the promotion.

Perhaps you can find a gym that only concentrates on grappling and spars with about 50% to 80% intensity (which I think Rickson said you should be sparring at), you are much less likely to be bruised.

Since your not doing MMA professionally, your family and career need to be priority. I'm sure you can wear headgear to protect yourself? I would also wear earguards when rolling. On your down time or holidays you can definitely train harder. If MMA is a hobby with some creativity you can find a way to train but I would focus on what pays the bills first and foremost.

The kids will only respect you more if they know you train..
Be a principle the kids want to be like, that the kids look up to... not another deushe bag that just wears glasses, sits in an office and looks miserable 90% of the time

300 spartans didnt follow Leonidas to the hot gates because he was a pussy ass principle that was scared of kids gossiping, and wore make up to conceal his second life.

If you quit training you should get a sex change and start going by the name Kayla Buggins

Any school that makes you wait more than 2 or 3 classes to roll = fail.

Any school that makes you take 20+ classes before you roll = epic fail.

There's differing opinions on the issue, but I'm in support of the 'roll your first day' camp.

Disagree. I've seen three bad injuries with beginners not realizing when to tap or over doing it on a submission (IE, breaking someones arm and shoulder by mistake). About three weeks ago, I destroyed a beginners elbow when he tried to roll out of an arm bar.

I think it takes some time for them to understand the art.

Disagree. I've seen three bad injuries with beginners not realizing when to tap or over doing it on a submission (IE, breaking someones arm and shoulder by mistake). About three weeks ago, I destroyed a beginners elbow when he tried to roll out of an arm bar.

I think it takes some time for them to understand the art.

thats on you, not the noob. he doesnt know when to tap, you should let him go. maybe the school should make its vets pay for 20 classes on how to roll with a noob

Seconded. I think you need to have some very very basics so it doesn't turn into injury city.

If you consistently get black eyes training, you may want to closely examine where you are training. But black eyes or not, they dont affect your job performance do they? No. If you are that worried about "rumors" spread your own. Let the rumor spread that you train "ultimate fighting" and I can guarantee your disciplinary skills will increase ten fold within a week of that one spreading.

Last I checked MMA is a legal activity. It would be different if you were coming to work with track marks or dirty clothes reeking of crack.

It all depends on your profession I guess. In the law field, it would not pass at all to constantly have facial lacerations, bruises, etc. It doesn't matter whether MMA is legal or not. The firm will fire you, clients won't hire you or will fire you, etc. That's why I do BJJ, and don't have to deal with that crap. They never get to see all the bruises on my arms, etc.:rolleyes:

Back