News CONFIRMED: Deiveson Figueiredo and Brandon Moreno have verbally agreed to fight at UFC 256, Dec. 12

I understand why the UFC wants to do this. But this is really just going to be weight-cutting contest. Whoever is better at cutting weight will win the fight.

Figueiredo cuts a lot of weight to get down to 125. He has missed weight before and there were reports that his cut for this fight was difficult, he canceled a few media obligations late in the week. He turns 33 next month, so cutting huge amounts of weight will become increasingly more difficult and his body will require longer recovery between cuts.

I doubt Figueiredo makes weight. He has to step on the scale 19½ days after exiting the cage. Would he get stripped of the title if he misses?
Maybe I am mistaken, but doesnt a quick turnaround lead to easier weight cuts??

Most fighters have said that weight cuts are difficult due to gaining weight between fights and not being "on weight" to start fight camp.

In this case, he is already on fight week weight, so he will just maintain that fight week weight for another 3 weeks which should make his cut easier, no?

Props to both. These guys are warriors. I love this fight on paper. I think Fig takes it but Moreno is going to make him work for it. With the weight cuts this must be pretty harsh on both guys. I hope they're at peak shape in three weeks.

Most champs fight once, maybe twice a year. Fig twice in three weeks?! How can you not respect this guy. He's even got an 85% finish rate!

Let's fucking go!!!

Maybe I am mistaken, but doesnt a quick turnaround lead to easier weight cuts??

Most fighters have said that weight cuts are difficult due to gaining weight between fights and not being "on weight" to start fight camp.

In this case, he is already on fight week weight, so he will just maintain that fight week weight for another 3 weeks which should make his cut easier, no?
Dieting and burning off fat are just the first part of the weight cut. The main course is sucking out as much water as you can in the last 2 days before weigh-ins. Almost all fighters suck out at least 10% of their body weight in water. After weigh-ins, they spend the next 24 hours, methodically rehydrating to put all that water weight back on.

California weighs fighters on the day of the fight as well. Alex Perez fought at UFC 227 in California. He weighed over 16% more on the day of fight compared to the day before. Figueiredo looked even bigger than Perez last night, so he is cutting even more water weight.

When you're dehydrating yourself to that extreme, your organs start to get impacted, particularly the kidneys. The body needs time to recover from getting that close to organ failure before doing it again.

I'm a big Adesanya stan but, he has 2 fight in 2020, 1 very impressive (Costa) and 1 very boring controversial (Romero). It's not even his best year.
Fig if he wins against Moreno would have won the belt and defended 2 times, all in very dominant fashion, with one controversy when he missed weight against Joe B.

Genuine question, why do you consider Izzy for fighter of the year?

adesanya taking off Costa in 2 is more impressive than what Fig did IMO. But idk I don’t like FLW like that as a division but I appreciate fig as a champ

Moreno is going to have his hands full, I’m pulling for him, but Fig is a tough fight...

Between this and tony, respect to ufc matchmaking they really saved 256 from the dreadful card it was turning into.

qDlkI5V.jpg

i6j6Ryt.jpg

Boring fight. Flyweight is utterly dead.

Deiveson needs to move up honestly.

adesanya taking off Costa in 2 is more impressive than what Fig did IMO. But idk I don’t like FLW like that as a division but I appreciate fig as a champ
Benavidez is a better win then Costa in my opinion. Nevermind that Figueiredo did it twice.

Boring fight. Flyweight is utterly dead.

Deiveson needs to move up honestly.
It's dead because of this mentality, as soon as a flyweight is doing well he moves to bantam weight, same shit happened with Cejudo.
Imagine when Cory comes to flyweight, and if Cejudo comes back with DJ and TJ. We are in for a STACKED division if I've ever fucking seen one

Back