Conditioning/weights weekly layout

LZD

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm looking for some advice about how to plan out my weekly routine. I am running Bill Starr's 5x5, I play indoor soccer on monday nights (two twenty minute halves), and I have an unlimited membership at my MMA gym meaning I can take as many morning, afternoon, and evening classes as I want in boxing, muay thai, bjj, mma, karate, and even pilates, kettlebell and circuit. I want to do at least two classes of MMA per week.

First off, is this too much? Secondly, how would you organise this workload across the week? The days I take classes will be slightly constrained by my university timetable - as the MMA gym is a short walk away. I don't have any classes on friday therefore I will probably do weights on that day and the rest of the workouts are relative to that, ie, a day of rest either side.

Monday: Indoor Soccer

Tuesday: MMA

Wednesday: Weights

Thursday: MMA

Friday: Weights

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: Weights

Do I have sufficient days of rest? Will my strength and size gains be unduly compromised by the amount of cardio I am taking? Or can I cancel that out by eating enough? Should I cut to a two day a week weights routine? Or perhaps cut one day of weight and do the 2 day workout. Or maybe go back to a P/P/S which could be easier on my body than benching and squatting twice per week?

I just want to hear your thoughts on this, thanks for any time you take to respond.

Edit: or would a version of WS4SB even be better as that is designed for athletes?

So you don't think it looks like too much?

Another thing I thought of is that I could do 1 MMA class every other week to give me an extra day of absolute rest.

No I dont, I think its fine. Most people would say go with SS>5X5 but thats up to you.

The Bill Starr 5x5 is IMO the better routine, and is also designed for athletes. The amount of rest looks fine, although how much rest you need is going to depend on any number of other factors like diet, sleep, if you include any active recovery, what kind of work load you're used to etc. So you just have to try it, and be willing to adjust if necessary.

Listen to Tosa, just out of curiosity whats the draw to 5X5 over SS?

Edit except of course its meant for athletes I thought SS was meant for the Athletic population as well.

Last edited:
Thanks very much Tosa and DFC, and I'll particularly keep this advice in mind:
So you just have to try it, and be willing to adjust if necessary.

I understand that my strength and size gains will be slowed a lot by my cardio and skills training, however that's ok for me as it's not really a huge deal. I'll certainly eat and sleep as much as I possibly can, though.

I may also attend more of the afternoon classes, as they go for 1 hour, as opposed to 90 minutes.

Tosa alot more qualified than I am but I think youll be surprised how easy it is. I did this cardio nonsense in baseball for a hour a day four days a week and still did SS and I was making the same gains. I did blow out my groin but that was a odd experience after cardio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back