• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Conditioning...Tactical Barbell Style

Active recovery today...did a little stretching and foam rolling. Will aim for a 90 min E session tomorrow for my "push-the-cardio envelope" day.

Pretty sore...but not quite as bad as the first week. The high rep, low rest stuff does that to me.

Looks like great progress and I like the look of your SE circuit. Going to have a crack at the kettlebell circuit tonight. Legs are quite stiff and sore from all this running though - not looking forward to goblet squats!

Looks like great progress and I like the look of your SE circuit. Going to have a crack at the kettlebell circuit tonight. Legs are quite stiff and sore from all this running though - not looking forward to goblet squats!

It gets better...first week and a half was the worst for the soreness. I am really appreciating that day 5 rest & recovery now.

Had the intention to do a 90 minute LSS...but ended up doing 60 instead, time restraints.

LSD trail run x 60 mins

S-E Training:

2 Handed Kettlebell Swings (24kg)
Goblet Squat (24kg)
Dips
Barbell Row
Push-ups
Hanging Leg Raises
Hyperextensions

3 rounds x 40 reps
2 Min rest between rounds

Volume turned up a notch again this week!

Starting to feel more competent with these...my muscular endurance is definitely improving.

The reps are coming easier and I'm failing at higher numbers. Week 1 I was faltering around the 15-20 rep mark by 2nd round...now I'm hitting 25-30 right up until end of 2nd round with far more ease before having to rest-pause. There's a different feel to my reps now too...like even though I'm at the point of failure I can sort of still push through for a while, whereas before I hit a wall and had to stop. Interesting..

This session I stayed within 60-90 second RI up until 3rd round, then ended up going over maximum allowed rest between a couple exercises. I'm not too worried...that happened a couple times in the past two weeks as well, but shook itself out.

Less soreness this week...last week I remember being very sore going into my first SE session...that's diminished today.

"E" x 50 Minutes

Triples...:

LSS Run x 15 mins (road run outside gym)
Heavy Bag x 10 mins
Battling Ropes x 10 mins
LSS Run x 15 mins

= approx 50 mins easy/steady state aerobic work

Love the flexibility of these "triples" sessions...they make long steady state far less boring

"E" x 50 Mins:

LSD Trail run x 50 mins

Ok...definitely starting to feel some improvement in my endurance. Stable energy throughout...felt relatively fresh the whole way through, usually I start feeling heavy legs & fatigue around 30 minute mark.

Had energy to spare near the end and fought the urge to put on the afterburners for the last leg...but the book is pretty strict about staying in the aerobic zone so I maintained my slow easy pace.

I'm starting to feel like I'm in the groove the way I used to be when I was boxing regularly. Getting confident in my gas tank again...and noticing my daily energy levels are high, no more mid day slump. Mood is particularly good...and I'm leaning up in the face and gut. It's a nice feeling because other than the SE circuits, the intensity is still pretty low...so feels almost effortless.

That changes come week 5 or 6...when high intensity sessions are introduced, and regular weight training comes back. So better enjoy the low intensity stuff while I can I guess.

hey can you post your stats (height weight age). (and quote this post so i remember to check back) thanks

S-E Training:

Goblet Squat (24kg)
Dips
Barbell Row
Push-ups
Hanging Leg Raises
Hyperextensions

Crappy workout today...had a bad sleep last night and missed breakfast because of an unexpected change in schedule. Finished the session but took the max rest allowed between exercises and circuits. Need to catch up on my sleep tonight.

Much better session today.

Today was a Day 6 "push the envelope" day, had a lot of energy after yesterday's rest/recovery...so did a full 90 minute LSD run!

First one of these in a while...felt fatigued around the 50-60 min mark, then hit my
2nd wind and brought it home. Felt great...like hitting a cardio milestone.

Rest day again tomorrow and I'm looking fwd to it.

Strength-Endurance Training

Goblet Squat (24kg)
Dips
Barbell Row
Push-ups
Hanging Leg Raises
Hyperextensions

Couple more weeks and then strength training and high intensity conditioning get slowly re-introduced, as I taper off the base building...looking fwd to it.

Energy levels are way up...looking lean and mean, good muscle definition coming in. Feeling great. Nice having a little break from heavy lifting...does wonders to rejuvenate the CNS.

"E" Session x 60 Minutes:

40 Minutes x LSS Run
20 Minutes x Heavy Bag
Low Intensity (120-150ish bpm)

Really glad I didn't blow my load and try to do more than the program minimum in the first couple weeks...the volume adds up quickly. In the groove now.

Endurance Session x 60 Minutes:

LSD Trail Run x 60 minutes (low intensity)

Felt sluggish and heavy legged the first 5-10 minutes...thought I was in for a grind. After roughly 10 mins though I got a burst of energy and second wind of sorts, and it turned into one of the best runs I've had.

hey can you post your stats (height weight age). (and quote this post so i remember to check back) thanks

Sorry bud...must've missed this:

5ft9
Normally walk-around at 180ish. Started this program out of shape at around 187...want to get down to a muscular 170-175 over time. Not concerned about scale weight these days because I don't box much anymore, more for health and aesthetic reasons.

2015-10-06
SE Training session

Today:
Rest (Day 5)

Day 6..."E"

LSS Run x 90 minutes

Looking fwd to rest day tomorrow!

Strength-Endurance Training

Goblet Squat (24kg)
Dips
Barbell Row
Push-ups
Hanging Leg Raises
Hyperextensions

This was the most brutal SE session of the block...3 rounds of 50. I am ecstatic because I got two rounds completed before having to rest-pause on a couple exercises. There is NO way in hell I could've done this in week 1.

So...major milestone for me in the muscular endurance dept.

Endurance starts tapering back down this week....and next week regular strength training (max strength barbell work) gets re-introduced along with HIC sessions...looking forward to getting back to my barbells and the high intensity conditioning stuff.

The strength work will be limited to two days a week in weeks 6-8, so I'll be running either 5/3/1 two day template or TB Fighter...still undecided at this point.

Day 2..."E x 45-60"

10 minute jog / treadmill
20 minutes heavy bag
10 minutes battling ropes
5 mins jump rope

All low intensity...even kept the bag work steady and rhythmic, no flurries

Starting to taper down with the Endurance/LSS

Day 6...

LSD x 45mins

Next week I start hitting the weights again...along with the introduction of the TB "HIC" sessions...some of which look pretty brutal. Looking fwd to it.

Back