conditioning question....

sarge

White Belt
Reaction score
Is there anything that can replace running for conditioning. I just don't think my knees/joints can take it anymore. It's gotten worse since I have put on about 10lbs. of mass recently. Right now, I do bjj 3x per week and boxing 3x per week. Could I just do like 30 minuntes of skipping instead of running or maybe the bas rutten mma workout? I don't have access to a pool and I suck at swimming anyways. Thanks for any advice.

try jump roping i do tabata pretty cool work out

try rowing
its low impact too, it wont hurt your knees or make them worse
www.concept2.co.uk find one of those and learn how to use it
its probably the best cardio you'll find out there in addition to mostly involving your whole body

One thing i could suggest is stationary cycling its also low impact on the knees. I myself have a bad left knee i injured at a football camp and it bothers me from time to time. Instead of going at a steady pace, pick up that pace to an almost sprinting pace for about 30 seconds or so, and just keep doing that until your time is up. It's helped make my legs stronger.

there's no substitute for running.

I agree there is no substitute for running but have you ever tried an eliptical trainer I don't think it would affect your knees and you can get a great cardio workout from it

skipping, tabata squats or pad work will all work.

My personal pick would be to use the Bas Rutten workout, it will kick your ass and requires next to no equipment. The all around workout tape is hell and generally leaves me sitting on the floor at the end because after the tuck jumps i can't stand up any more. The only down side is that when you watch Pride and hear Bas you'll think you should be hitting something or doing pressups, which is really quite disconcerting.

mahalo said:

do sets of burpies and heavy bag work with no rest inbetween and tell me thers's no substitute for running.

sarge said:
Is there anything that can replace running for conditioning. I just don't think my knees/joints can take it anymore. It's gotten worse since I have put on about 10lbs. of mass recently. Right now, I do bjj 3x per week and boxing 3x per week. Could I just do like 30 minuntes of skipping instead of running or maybe the bas rutten mma workout? I don't have access to a pool and I suck at swimming anyways. Thanks for any advice.
All the above posts are good suggestions. I'd also include swimming 2x a week, you said it yourself that you suck at it and thus the more reason to do it.

I'd think it would best to be well rounded since you can't actually do running itself. Pick 3 exercises and do each of them at least 2x a week.

Just my opinion.

can some body give a good review on the bas rutten workout i have been hearing about it alot

mahalo said:

You say this but when I have been suffereing shin splints I have worked on the Stepper, Concept2 rower and Bike and managed to maintain my leg endurance no problem, and kept increasing my fitness untill recovered from the shin splints.

burpee rounds, punchout drills , pyramid kicks , sandbag tosses

I use a Schwinn Airdyne. If you go hard it will kick your azzzzz!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back